How Much Should Puppies Weigh?

Dee_al

Jaxson is my first stafford puppy so im not too sure how much he should weigh. he is exactly 4 months today and he weighs 10 kilos! i dint think he looks fat, only puppy fat. is this too much for my puppy to weigh?

I'm no expert but that sounds heavy to me. But he could just be a big puppy. Puppies should be well covered, but they should not be fat. You should be able to feel his ribs. Can you post a pic that shows his body?

He looked fine last time I saw him. Cute too. Definitely not fat, he's a nice chunky little guy. I can see why the blues are so popular, that is such a nice colour for a staffy.

Thanks Gayle,

Nah i dont think hes fat either, but hes just getting so heavey so fast! hes not getting fed anymore then normall....

Well he is either fat or just a really big Staffy, given that they only meant to weight 13-17kg when adults (dogs). Staffys just seem to be getting bigger and bigger.

By comparison my Toller baby weighs 5.5kgs at 3 months and her adult weight is 17-20kg.

Hmm, I would consider him a big boy. I have two (SBT) dog pups here that will be 6 months old early next week, one is slightly under 9kg the other closer to 10kg.

So long as he's happy and healthy he's fine, could just be a quick maturer - what size (height and weight) were his parents?

Edited by Sandra777

Well he is either fat or just a really big Staffy, given that they only meant to weight 13-17kg when adults (dogs). Staffys just seem to be getting bigger and bigger.

By comparison my Toller baby weighs 5.5kgs at 3 months and her adult weight is 17-20kg.

Our other Staffod who is 7, weighs in at 30 kilos! hes not fat at all, and is actually on the small side for a male. hes just ne big ball of muscle..

Hmm, I would consider him a big boy. I have two (SBT) dog pups here that will be 6 months old early next week, one is slightly under 9kg the other closer to 10kg.

So long as he's happy and healthy he's fine, could just be a quick maturer - what size (height and weight) were his parents?

umm..... mum was a good looking bitch, cant quite remember how tall she was but i doubt she was over the standard height Dad was short and stocky. i dunno what their weights were, but they were both fit looking dogs

Whether he's fat or not is not really the point. 30kg is hugely over standard for a Stafford, so you certainly can't pass it off with the comment you made about how he is "actually on the small side for a male" because he's not - he is enormous for a male Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

That fact that he's NOT fat means he is genuinely way outside the breed standard (almost twice the top weight in fact)

I mean small because if you go by the breed standards he fits under bitches more then dogs. He's fit and active and doesn't eat crap food so I've no idea as to why he weighs so much

Do you mean the standard for height? So he is about 40cm?

If that is what you mean, have you checked him on a different scale because if he is that small and looks like he does in the photo, no way can he weigh 30kgs!

Maybe he has more muscle than the "breed standard" staffords?

I know a lot of the less reputable breeders (not knowing where you got him from obviously) are going outside standard as far as muscle mass goes. Big chunky huge muscles are the "trend".

Or it could just be random. Friend got a poodle who is like 10cms under height. Every other dog and bitch in his litter is correct height.

Edited by lovemesideways

My Labrador bitch is around 32 kgs... and I'd like her to drop about 4 of those, as she definitely has booty going on!

Did you feed your Stafford lead before you weighed him? *grin*

10kgs for a 16 week old Stafford pup seems a little on the high side... I'd be thinking closer to 7 or 8 at the most... that's what my last pure (but not well bred) Stafford foster pup weighed at 16 weeks.

I suppose what we need are photos of your little keg boy... then we can see if he's just a solid little man - and everyone loves puppy photos... lol!

T.

Puppy weight is not important, as long as its enough.

That fat little puppy can grow into a trim adult, the same as human babies can.

I wouldn't ever diet a growing pup if it is not "average " weight. They soon run it off as they grow so why worry.

I mean small because if you go by the breed standards he fits under bitches more then dogs. He's fit and active and doesn't eat crap food so I've no idea as to why he weighs so much

Firstly it is the Breed Standard. There is no s on the end.

Secondly the standard states no difference in height for dogs and bitches so "fits under bitches more than dogs" is :laugh:

Thirdly he's fit and active and that's great, everything you could want but the point is your belief that 30kg is SMALL for a male Staffordshire Bull Terrier. You are wrong.

From his photo I would say he is way over standard weight because he is grossly over boned and grossly overdone in front, more bulldog than terrier which is sadly common amongst some breeders who can't seem to comprehend the idea of active agile, 16 inches and 38 pounds.

Assuming he has a great personality and is healthy to go with him being fit and active then all's fine, you have a great pet that you love and all is well with the world.

Edited by Sandra777