Dog's Bladder Control When Sleeping After Exercise

Sometimes when Tilly (2 year old Kelpie X Coolie) is particularly tired after running and swimming at the park, I find that she will sometimes pee while she is sleeping.

Last night she had a really big drink after going to the park, and she ended up snuggling on a blanket next to me on the lounge a couple of hours after getting home, and she did quite a big wee as she slept (it didn't wake her up either...I felt dampness on the quilt and I woke her up myself). Is it anything to be concerned about? Or should I just make sure that I hang out in the yard with her in the evening for a bit so she can do her business before she passes out!

Other than that she is absolutely fine with her housetraining...she wasn't house trained when we first got her when she was about 8 months, but she caught on quite quickly and has been fine since then. It just seems to happen when she is really tired after a big run & swim.

Agree with the previous two posters. Hormonal incontinence is reasonably common in spayed female dogs, there are meds (or if really necessary an operation) that can help reduce or stop it if it's an issue for you. A UTI also possible, in that case it should clear up with antibiotics.

Also, I think Tilly is gorgeous. :laugh:

Agree with the previous two posters. Hormonal incontinence is reasonably common in spayed female dogs, there are meds (or if really necessary an operation) that can help reduce or stop it if it's an issue for you. A UTI also possible, in that case it should clear up with antibiotics.

Also, I think Tilly is gorgeous. :laugh:

Thanks, I think so too but i'm a bit biased obviously :o .

Can hormonal incontinence happen, regardless of the dog's age when they are desexed?

When Tilly was desexed, i'm pretty sure I remember the vet said that she had never been in heat before, not sure if that makes a difference...

Edited by fainty_girl

Can hormonal incontinence happen, regardless of the dog's age when they are desexed?

When Tilly was desexed, i'm pretty sure I remember the vet said that she had never been in heat before, not sure if that makes a difference...

Yup, it can. Some studies suggest that if you desex before the dog has had one or two heat cycles, it's more likely for them to develop hormonal incontinence than if they were desexed later on. But all desexed bitches have a much higher chance of developing hormonal incontinence than entire bitches do. It's to do with the changed progesterone-estrogen balance after spaying, which interferes with the spincter that seals the bladder. The medicines for it either replace the hormones, or increase the dog's sensitivity to her own hormones.

But, it might be something else entirely - so do go see your vet. :laugh:

Call the vet and get a urine sample to them.

If it is a UTI it will show in that.

Spey incontinence seems random. Some of them get it really young. My brother's bitch was already incontinebt at 12 months - she was speyed VERY early.. My Dobe from about 4 years. She was done some time before 12 months.

But I'm always flamed when I suggest that speying can be done too early. Go figure. :rofl:

Edited by noisymina