Puppies Being Sold Without Microchips...

Like the title says folks - if I'm aware of a person selling pups without microchips, who should I report it to? I've tried tracking down some info online and I believe I should be going to the council, but I'd like to see if anybody here has any additional suggestions.

I should clarify, this is in relation to a number of "$50 puppy"-type of ads that I'm seeing in my local classifieds lately; I'm guessing that the majority are the result of a "whoops" litter from the family pet, however there is one ad I'm fairly certain is from a dodgy hydrobath operator who's been discussed on these forums before.

On-topic responses only please guys - I don't want it to turn into one of those done-to-death arguments about whether people who bring home a free dog can afford to look after it properly or not...

Not sure what the breed is, but regarding working dogs, I believe that there's an exemption from registration/microchipping in places like New South Wales where the dog is to be a working dog rather than a companion animal (of course there are certain conditions to be satisfied e.g. kept on rural land etc). Not sure about Queensland, though.

Edited by koalathebear

I am in QLD and I purchased my puppy from a registered breeder on the main registry but found out on collection day that I needed to microchip myself.

Im still waiting on papers (but have called for registration number) as the breeder had to wait until we had all given her our microchip details.

I dont know if it was right or wrong as everything I read is conflicting. I think it depends on different councils...well thats what I got from it anyway.

It does say that it will be a statewide law by the end of the year..councils have until then to update policies etc.

Edited by Ishy

There are many many loop holes in the microchip legislation in each state.

I would like to see an Australia wide legislation, incorporating the keeping of the original microchippers details.

Currently once the dog goes to the new owners with them adding second contact details the breeder/original chippers details go.

Back on track. So really currently there is no one to report it too.