Show Greyhound Puppy.

Yacket's Mum

Hi I am getting a show greyhound puppy next year just need a bit of help in what I will need for her and how do I go about showing her and what collars ect do I need. Do you put sqaures on there butts like horses? do you boot polish there legs to make defined lines ect all help would be greatful.

Will do thankyou. I have spoken to her before but wanted other opinions as well.

Not many people show Greyhounds, also not many breed show Greyhounds either.

You will be limited on who can offer your breed specific show advice.

Who are you getting yours from?

Hi Yacket's Mum, no there are no patterns brushed into their coats. No boot polish either that I know off. All I do for my greys is trim the hair on the tuck. Good food and a bath the day before is all that is needed. I usually leave their whiskers on but did trim them for the Royal this year. I use a snake chain on Fern and Miller had a thin parachute cord, both with bling leads! They can't be shown on their nice sighthound collars.

So where are you getting the puppy from? :dancingelephant:

ETA I pretty much taught myself with online help from ReadySteadyGo/ReadySetGo :thumbsup: ( Warley ) because even though I had taught many a dog to stand in obedience I couldn't get my head around the stack. So if you can get show lessons with someone positive I am sure it will be a big benefit to you.

Edited by Rebanne

Good Luck with your pup.

Remember we are going to need some pics of him/her!

I once had a show bred grey (as I pet). She was an incredible girl my Phoebe was. RIP :thumbsup:

I don't know who bred her, but she was just the sweetest girl.

Edited by Sir WJ

Hi Yacket's Mum, no there are no patterns brushed into their coats. No boot polish either that I know off. All I do for my greys is trim the hair on the tuck. Good food and a bath the day before is all that is needed. I usually leave their whiskers on but did trim them for the Royal this year. I use a snake chain on Fern and Miller had a thin parachute cord, both with bling leads! They can't be shown on their nice sighthound collars.

So where are you getting the puppy from? :dancingelephant:

ETA I pretty much taught myself with online help from ReadySteadyGo/ReadySetGo :thumbsup: ( Warley ) because even though I had taught many a dog to stand in obedience I couldn't get my head around the stack. So if you can get show lessons with someone positive I am sure it will be a big benefit to you.

Heheheheh ok so not like horse showing lolol but all good that is what I was after. I have shown arabs for years but never a dog lolol this will be my first one! :dancingelephant:

As much as I would love to get a show grey of you or your breeder it is very hard for me being out of state so I have been in contact with the McGreerys and put my name down on a bitch when the have a litter next year. I am sure they will give me heaps of advice but it is never to early to start learning.

I will need to look into collars and where to get a set from ect I feed my greys I have already proplan dry food and turkey necks and sundays they get sardiens and yoghurt and biccy gets yoghurt and sashas blend equilevent so they are in really good nick...I dont have problems feeding them what ever they need.

I will have to find a show person local to help me learn how to stack so thankyou for that and I am hoping to go to a few before she arrives so I have some idea on what I need to do lololo

Santa is bringing me a huge 54" metal crate so I can train her and have her safe when I am not home and then we have soft crates for shows and trials. I think I will have to buy some more weatherbeeta rugs for her as she will be bigger than my girl I have now but all good.

Just wanted to know if there were sprays ect that you put on them! I have a hydrobath and a doggie blow dryer now for her so I think we are some what set!

As much as I would love to get a show grey of you or your breeder it is very hard for me being out of state so I have been in contact with the McGreerys and put my name down on a bitch when the have a litter next year. I am sure they will give me heaps of advice but it is never to early to start learning.

Just wanted to know if there were sprays ect that you put on them! I have a hydrobath and a doggie blow dryer now for her so I think we are some what set!

oh yeah plenty of sprays if you want :thumbsup: I usually don't bother though. I have about 50 mls, out of 250, left of a evening primrose oil spray I think it is. Had it for about 3 years so that says how much I use it. Smells nice :dancingelephant:

Dennis and chris are lovely and will help you out! It will be good to have someone else out there with a minority breed! I have basenji's and its usually only my 2 at shows! I get very excited when theres competition!!

I am looking at getting a grey for my daughter hopefully next year or the year after, just have to get a trailer first! :thumbsup:

Dennis and chris are lovely and will help you out! It will be good to have someone else out there with a minority breed! I have basenji's and its usually only my 2 at shows! I get very excited when theres competition!!

I am looking at getting a grey for my daughter hopefully next year or the year after, just have to get a trailer first! :thumbsup:

They have been lovely on the phone and I am hoping in the next few months to go and met them and there wonderful dogs. I have a few people I know who know them and they recommend them as breeders and there quality of dogs they breed. Our chiropractor is the same man. lololol

Yes I have been told there are very few greyhounds shown in qld so we just might have to help change that lolololo

Greyhounds are amazing I already have 2 rescue ones. Our old girl Checke and my mad crazy man Biscuit CCD JD SD who I do agility and obeidence with.

They have been lovely on the phone and I am hoping in the next few months to go and met them and there wonderful dogs. I have a few people I know who know them and they recommend them as breeders and there quality of dogs they breed.

nice to hear as I have sent them an email re finding a stud for Ferny girl

Greys are very wash & wear.

Our show greys we did use to blow dry in winter & summer but this isn't a must do thing.

Spray wise we used very little,if any maybe some plush puppy shine on .

We did use white chalk on the partis if needed(we only showed partis & a solid blue)

Lead wise ours where shown on very fine corded leads & one on a fine snake chain.

Coat wise we always made our own to fit there body shape correctly .

As for showing/stacking go to shows & watch the hound ring.

Breeds of similar style (borzois/whippets/salukis) will give you many tips on how to show .

The whippets will educate you on working there ears(if correct) for expression.

If you own a video camera video video video ,you could practice with the 2 you have now.

Check the DOL pages & look at the photo's of the grey's stacked.when practicing ALWAYS use a mirror or reflective surface & above all Greys can be a very animated breed so foster that ,nothing worse than a deep pain Grey running around the ring.

Don't rush out & buy things,ask your breeder what they have found works well .

Thankyou for all your replies they have been most helpful. I cant wait to join the show circuit :thumbsup: Just need to think of a name for her I kinda like Frog! lolololol I know odd name. We had a horse called Turtle a dog called Chook another horse called Clyde a rabbit called chewbacca a rat called Squirrel and present greyhound Biscuit so I think Frog would fit in nicely loololol But what sort of show name should she have. She will have the breeders prefix then what! I was thinking .........Lily pad so frog dosent seem out of place. But if anyone else has better ideas I am open lololol

Woo Hoo! Glad to hear that there is more greys going into the ring! I must say I absolutly love going in with my boy....even when he is being naughty! :(

If you can get a breeder that isn't too far away its great! Kris has been a huge help with me as she is only 2 hours away from me! I had never shown a greyhound before so my boy is trained very much like my whippets but it works! :(

ETA: I hope to have a new girl in a few months too!

Edited by Kanati Whippets

They have been lovely on the phone and I am hoping in the next few months to go and met them and there wonderful dogs. I have a few people I know who know them and they recommend them as breeders and there quality of dogs they breed.

Anne.............is there something your not telling me! :(

C'mon woman! I will be expecting an email from you! :(

Thankyou for all your replies they have been most helpful. I cant wait to join the show circuit :) Just need to think of a name for her I kinda like Frog! lolololol I know odd name. We had a horse called Turtle a dog called Chook another horse called Clyde a rabbit called chewbacca a rat called Squirrel and present greyhound Biscuit so I think Frog would fit in nicely loololol But what sort of show name should she have. She will have the breeders prefix then what! I was thinking .........Lily pad so frog dosent seem out of place. But if anyone else has better ideas I am open lololol

You'll be able to her a call name what ever you like but her show name will probably end up being something belonging to a litter theme.

Grey's are such great dogs. I've met quite a few of McGreevy's greyhounds and they were all honeys.

Edited by Lowenhart

Anne.............is there something your not telling me! :(

C'mon woman! I will be expecting an email from you! :laugh:

don't fret, just seeing what's out there, covering all bases, looking at all options