Need Advice To Give To Friend Looking For An "oodle"

Guest sharynriding

Ask her if she would like a blind dog by the time its 6 years old? We see so many oodles with PRA. :laugh: Reputable breeders of purebred dogs DNA test for it, puppy farmers don't.

Not advocating cross breeding but I am one that likes advocating the truth. Plenty of purebred poodles with PRA from reg. breeders. Not all reg. breeders conduct health tests.

Moselle, after just over 20 years of working for a veterinary ophthalmologist, I am delighted to tell you that you are wrong.

I could count on one hand the pedigreed Poodles with PRA that we have seen over the years (and certainly NONE in the last 5 or so years) due to the hard work and diligence of Poodle breeders.

We would diagnose 4-5 Oodles PER WEEK with PRA.

So soz, love. There is no "plenty" about it.

And that is the truth advocated. :laugh:

Yet another mis-conception about pure breeds and pure-breed breeders bites the dust...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask her if she would like a blind dog by the time its 6 years old? We see so many oodles with PRA. :laugh: Reputable breeders of purebred dogs DNA test for it, puppy farmers don't.

Not advocating cross breeding but I am one that likes advocating the truth. Plenty of purebred poodles with PRA from reg. breeders. Not all reg. breeders conduct health tests.

Moselle, after just over 20 years of working for a veterinary ophthalmologist, I am delighted to tell you that you are wrong.

I could count on one hand the pedigreed Poodles with PRA that we have seen over the years (and certainly NONE in the last 5 or so years) due to the hard work and diligence of Poodle breeders.

Thanks for this information Elfin. It's great to know that ethical, registered poodle breeders (and others) continue to do the right thing by their much loved breeds.

We have two puppy farms near where I live, breeding little oodle x puppies. They both have glitzy (read misleading) websites but nowhere on their websites do they mention health testing of parents for inherited disorders.

Ellie

Thanks for this information Elfin. It's great to know that ethical, registered poodle breeders (and others) continue to do the right thing by their much loved breeds.

We have two puppy farms near where I live, breeding little oodle x puppies. They both have glitzy (read misleading) websites but nowhere on their websites do they mention health testing of parents for inherited disorders.

Ellie

Of course not, that would eat into their profit

Guest sharynriding

Again, thank you for the advice. Thanks Jed, the car analogy may strike home with her. I have used the pound, rescue suggestion. She didn't believe that puppies were in pounds or rescues!!

I have also used the health screening point of view, she didn't get it. Also done the cost point of view, while my beautiful retrievers were sitting at her feet, saying that I had met their parents, seen where they were whelped and raised, showed her copies of the various health screenings that their parents had undergone, showed their pedigrees etc etc. and they cost significantly less than the mutt she wishes to buy.

If you aren't particularly "doggy" you just don't get it. At the end of the day, I will continue to give her your advice and hope I can talk some sense into her. Thanks for all the pics, they will come in handy. Will keep you posted.

Good luck, at least dont her her offside, if she is set on this dog you arent really going to change her mind, but offer to go to the "breeders" place with her, that way you slyly ask about health testing and the rest of it, might make her see sense when either the "breeder" cant give answers or she admits that there is no health testing done

Moselle sometimes I wonder why you're a member here. You certainly seem to hold a low opinion of both purebred dogs and their breeders :laugh:

I dont hold a low opinion PF....I was very disappointed at the time (about 8 years ago) in knowing that health checks were not as frequently conducted as they should have been, if things have changed the last 8 years then all is good and well about time. I purchased a cavalier pup 2 years ago, it died 4 weeks later from heart failure.....long story short...mitral valve disease....very disheartening. Autopsy revealed pup died from heart problems.....breeder not interested, no refund...no replacement puppy.

Edited by Moselle

Thanks everybody. She seems to be convinced that the cross is a better dog, temperament wise - because that is what she has been told - the poodle temperament was better than the cav so it would look like a cav but be really laid back like a poodle!! No word of a lie, she bought it hook, line and sinker.

I was trying to steer her towards a purebred cav, no offence poodlefan, I know some great poodles but I figured that the cav's coat would be easier for her to groom. As I said before, she hasn't owned a dog before and I am just worried that with her expectations it will all go wrong and I worry for the pup. She was planning to keep it outside from day one, at least the "breeder" told her that was a no no. As I said earlier, she is totally clueless where dogs are concerned.

I told her the story of my friend's poodle from PP and how both knees had to be replaced before the dog was 2 years old. She was sad for my friend's dog but didn't believe it could happen to her!! And besides, she was buying from a breeder, not a pet shop. She did point out that she had listened to me with regards to pet shops.

Anyway, I will just keep at her with a constant flow of suggestions.

Ah.... there's not much "laid back" about poodles. :confused: CKCS are way more laid back than my woolly friends are.

Ask her if she wanted a small SUV and someone bolted the front end of a Nissan Micra to the back end of a Nissan Patrol would it look like a Micra but drive like a patrol? That's the crap that 'breeder' is spinning her.

For the record, some of the poodle crosses out there can only be described as HYPER. No doubt the quality of the parent breeding stock has something to do with it.

Get her to ask the breeder if she'll take the dog back if it doesn't end up looking like a CKCS but acting like a poodle. That might produce an interesting result. :confused:

Having owned a most wonderful pet miniatue poodle for 17 years and now being heavily involved with Cavaliers I personally would not liketo see the possible "Russian Roulette' of cross breeding the two. I've know many poodles and if they are laid back it is just due to good training a them waiting to be allowed to "cut loose".