De-sexing Or A Litter

I volunteered to be on the list but think I missed out :(

More on the idea of breeding "just'' pets.

To 'the general public' show people and breeders are often viewed as not really loving their dogs but being more interested in ribbons and prizes. We know this isn't true in almost all cases, but this is a common view of "us''.

So why would it be that people who ''really" love their dogs (i.e. pet owners) should be OK buying and living with dogs which are somehow ''faulty'' because theyre ''just pets'' while us who don't ''really'' love our dogs (i.e. show people/breeders) should have ''better'' dogs.

Personally I couldn't give a toss if no one who buys a puppy off me ever shows it, I'm happy that my puppies are loved and appreciate and take great pride in providing people who ''just want a pet'' with pups which have the potential to be great and healthy examples of their breed.

Edited by Sandra777

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking the OP has a source of info on breeding already - her mum.

My mother is a breeder of Border Collies so i have been brought up in the show ring and with a few litters of puppies

I am also thinking tho that tiny dogs like poms come with their own particular problems :D Some of the stories on here are just awful.

I volunteered to be on the list but think I missed out :D

More on the idea of breeding "just'' pets.

To 'the general public' show people and breeders are often viewed as not really loving their dogs but being more interested in ribbons and prizes. We know this isn't true in almost all cases, but this is a common view of "us''.

So why would it be that people who ''really" love their dogs (i.e. pet owners) should be OK buying and living with dogs which are somehow ''faulty'' because theyre ''just pets'' while us who don't ''really'' love our dogs (i.e. show people/breeders) should have ''better'' dogs.

Personally I couldn't give a toss if no one who buys a puppy off me ever shows the it, I''m happy that my puppies are loved and appreciate and take great pride in providing people who ''just want a pet'' with pups which have the potential to be great and healthy examples of their breed.

Yep I second this. My dogs are pets first. Would be no good if they couldn't fill the position of healthy family pet first. I would like to think that anyone breeding is breeding for it all-Soundness(of mind and body) and adherence to the standard. There is only one way to breed dogs.

Was out at a dog club with a friend a couple of weeks ago. Another member turned up with her dog.

The dog's gait was shocking... hocks with zero lateral stabilty, it could only bunny hop to run. Its not even 3 years old and yep, its got HD.

Tell me that those kinds of issues don't matter to "pet" owners. That dog will break its owners heart before it goes to God far too young.

Was out at a dog club with a friend a couple of weeks ago. Another member turned up with her dog.

The dog's gait was shocking... hocks with zero lateral stabilty, it could only bunny hop to run. Its not even 3 years old and yep, its got HD.

Tell me that those kinds of issues don't matter to "pet" owners. That dog will break its owners heart before it goes to God far too young.

:D On which register?

:D On which register?

None. It's one of those Labradoodles with hybrid vigour you know Souff.. Owner paid megabucks, bought all the hype and has a dog on borrowed time.

If that's the standard we can expect from the Australian Association of Pet Dog Breeders then there will be a lot of heart broken "pet" dog owners in the future too.

Edited by poodlefan

Oh well thats a relief. I was thinking it might have been a Pom. Souff just googled an overseas site for Poms and rather wished I hadnt. Amongst one stud dog's virtues was his "short back". Yes, I know short backs look very perky and keeps that big fluffy tail held high above, but as a stud dog? Oh well, there is always AI. I then came across this pic of a pom for sale: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/1613513 Is it possible to cross a GR with a Pom by any chance? Surely there can be no way that this dog meets the breed standard? Too sad.

Edited by Souff

Oh well thats a relief. I was thinking it might have been a Pom. Souff just googled an overseas site for Poms and rather wished I hadnt. Amongst one stud dog's virtues was his "short back". Yes, I know short backs look very perky and keeps that big fluffy tail held high above, but as a stud dog? Oh well, there is always AI. I then came across this pic of a pom for sale: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/1613513 Is it possible to cross a GR with a Pom by any chance? Surely there can be no way that this dog meets the breed standard? Too sad.

Wow - That does not look like a pom at ALL

A few months back some people my OH knows dog went missing, I posted a picture of it in the "Lost" section, the owners stated it was a Pom. When I asked my OH how big it was he described a dog the size of a Miniature Poodle, kind of midsized dog. Definitely NOT the toys I see in Group One.

I suggested it may have been crossed with another Spitz Breed???

They now have a new Pom, as sadly the missing dog had been hit by a car. The new dog is considerably smaller.

However.......

Whilst being over the breed standard height (as you state your Pom is tall, no mention of large) might not always preclude a dog from being breed by an experienced breeder, who may find other stronger traits are passed on by this particular animal, and being over height may not have been the fact for the entire litter, it is not a good starting point for the novice breeder. Best you keep your pet as a pet.

Nobody sent me a list of scary DOLers when I joined... but I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be on one if it exists... *grin*

Samantha - my advice is to talk to your Mum about the ups and downs of breeding dogs - then talk to the breeder of your girl and see what they think of the idea.

I wouldn't take up the offer of the sire from the person who has offered either. I'd be looking at something that wasn't being pimped out to a 21 year old's 5 month old pup...

T.

PS. Am I on the list? If not, could send me the list too, so I know who not to get into tangles with around here... *grin*

There is absolutely NO need to breed everything that has a uterus.

I agree with this SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!

Desex her and let her live a nice life as a pet without the risks involved with breeding

The people you have lined up for puppies may end up rescuing a dog from a shelter or something similar which is a good thing.

There are enough puppies on the planet, hundreds killed each day cos there are too many!

Leave it to the genuine breeders :rofl:

It appears from your initial post that you did not get your puppy with the intention of breeding ?

Choosing your 1st breeding dog is a minefield for someone just starting out.

Registered breeder, shows dogs is not enough knowledge to choose your foundation bitch from.

You need to know what is behind the lines in the pedigree, health issues that can crop up that are not able to be tested for & a lot more than just its a pedigree so I can breed.

Lots of posts on the things that go wrong part & placing them in new homes is not always a delightful part of it all.

Consider carefully. Why do you want to breed her ?

You have a puppy you love so why risk it all ? Desex her & enjoy having her.

I'll be on the list. There have been some freaking morons on this forum. I wish there was a way to cleanse the gene pool of them all. Oh and the trolls, don't get me started on the trolls.

However, on the topic at hand, I would say desex the dog. Leave the breeding to people who have spent a long time researching and not just done things because they had a cute puppy. Of course you could have an experienced breeder mentor you and work your way towards having a litter. Whatever works.

Preetttyyy please tell me I made the list!

:( I reckon I know who number one is :)

Did you find out if you made the list?

Nahh, whoever sent it, was too scared of me and wouldn't share or there's a fair chance the OP is a reincarnation and there never was one.

Take your pick :(

:rofl: Reincarnations ... sadly you are probably right. Life is just too short to bother asking why people would bother! Too many better things to do. :cry: