De-sexing Or A Litter

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only joining 3 days ago and this being my first post, i cant belive how quick the reply rate is :cry:

Thanks to everyone who have posted there thoughts on the topic, i have read them all!!

Being Friday i hope you all have a great weekend.

I am going away this weekend and will be unable to post again.

Enjoy the weekend.

Samantha

Your topic is one that is prone to generate lots of discussion. :rainbowbridge:

By the way, welcome to the forum. :(

You have a while to wait so you have time to read, listen and dissect the advice given. Good luck.

Edited to add - knowing what I know and seeing what I have seen, I'd be inclined to desex her.

Edited by ~Anne~

Hi all,

I have recently brought my first puppy, she is a tall pomeranian.

She is only 5months of age at the moment, but i am thinking further down the track in regards to a litter or desexing.

She did come with papers, but if i was too breed it would only be for family dogs not show dogs.

I would just like to hear some pro and cons to a litter or desexing!

Thankyou :rofl:

Samantha

I have concerns.

You have described her as "a tall pomeranian". I assume that the person who sold you the puppy gave you this description.

I have just re-read the Breed Standard for Pomeranians and nowhere in it does it say that the dogs are tall.

Please read the breed standard: http://www.ankc.org.au/Breed_Details.aspx?bid=40

It describes what the dogs and bitches should look like, and it is important that they do have these features if you are thinking of breeding.

An adult female Pomeranian should weigh no more than 2.5 kilograms. A dog of that weight is UNLIKELY to ever be a tall dog.

Please wait until your puppy is an adult before making any decisions about breeding.

If she is more than 2.5 kgs in weight at the age of 12 months I do not believe you should be breeding from her.

She will make a beautiful de-sexed pet who is just a little bit taller than some of the other Poms, and I am guessing that the breeder told you that she would be tall.

Best wishes,

Souff

I agree, there are more than enough dogs being bred simply for the sake of breeding. I must say that I am surprised at the response of some posters here....who have encouraged the idea of breeding.....I was under the distinct impression that one should breed to "better the breed" and not for the fun of it. :laugh:

Guest belgian.blue

Desex.

My Pointer, who is being desexed today, would have made a great contribution to the Pointer world as his breeder originally wanted to keep him a show dog but allowed me to give him a loving home on limited reg.

I was told by many to not desex him and breed him as he is such a nice looking boy.

I never once considered breeding him, he's my family member and that was final. There are enough experienced breeders out there with fantastic lines.

Only joining 3 days ago and this being my first post, i cant belive how quick the reply rate is :rofl:

Thanks to everyone who have posted there thoughts on the topic, i have read them all!!

Being Friday i hope you all have a great weekend.

I am going away this weekend and will be unable to post again.

Enjoy the weekend.

Samantha

Your topic is one that is prone to generate lots of discussion. :laugh:

By the way, welcome to the forum. :mad

You have a while to wait so you have time to read, listen and dissect the advice given. Good luck.

Edited to add - knowing what I know and seeing what I have seen, I'd be inclined to desex her.

Thankyou for the welcome :)

I guess if you want to breed a litter then are the resulting puppy owners going to want to do the same for the same reasons you gave?

I think if you want to breed you need to be passionate about improving the breed, not just breed a litter because you want to.

I feel strongly that you should desex your bitch and if you want another pup, buy one from the same breeder and refer your friends in the same direction when they decide they want a pup.

ETA: if you want to experience a litter ask the breeder of your girl if you could be present for one of her own whelpings. It's not all rainbows and butterflies, it can be gut wrenching, it can be very expensive and for the reason you gave as to why you want to breed, I really don't think you should.

Edited by Aziah

I think there are a lot of experiences that you can dabble in, try on for size, take a flyer on, and see if it suits you.

Breeding, the creation of new lives, is NOT one of the things to experiment with. It is a serious undertaking not suitable for amateurs. Best possible case, your litter will be expensive, hard work, and time consuming. There are far worse outcomes possible, up to and including the loss of your dog.

Please don't join the plague of backyard breeders. Casual breeding for the wrong purposes has already ruined too many breeds.

Hi Samantha, welcome to the forum :cry:

Personally, I would desex your girl, for the reasons that have already been mentioned here.

I notice you have said a number of times that having a litter would be a good experience for you. But what about her? Is having a litter for your own enjoyment, worth the potential risks of her losing her life? Because this is a real risk. Is it fair to put her through the whole whelping process just because you want to experience it, particularly when the breeding is of no benefit to the breed.

Is the breeder with male who is interested in your girl registered? I must admit it sounds a few alarm bells for me knowing someone has approached you with the proposal of breeding, knowing that you yourself are not registered and only seeing your girl as a pup.

Are you willing to do all the relevant health checks and ensure the male has as well, and research both their lines for their health, conformation and temp? Because it would be devastating for the potential puppy buyers to buy a puppy which turns out to have serious health problems.

I would suggest to your friends who want a Pom pup to do their research and find themselves a knowledgeable, reputable and ethical breeder to purchase their pup from, to increase their chances of a healthy pup with a sound temperament.

Desex your girl and enjoy her for what she is - a lovely pet puppy :wave:

What does the stud downer want out of this litter.

Use of there male will have some form of price attached??

Do they want a pup in return or a stud fee??

You say you wish to experience the whelping aspect.I have very close friends who breed top class poms & there is a high rate of c sections ,they often get 1/3 pups & that is after 24/7 bottle feeding & many sleepless days to ensure they survive .They don't go to work during this time or if they have to work have friends who do the day shift of bottlefeeding & watching to ensure they survive

So if you do a pup return & have 1 pup what will you do??

If you pay a stud fee,plus c section & have 1 pup what will you do (this part is very common in the pom world)

As already said by others breeding isn't just about producing pups even pet people want there dogs to conform to the standard or be told prior to purchase that its faults are +++++.,

In poms over size is an issue creeping up more & more & they shouldn't be ,if people want a bigger pom they can buy a German spitz

Did your breeder sell said bitch on spay contract or just limited papers ??

I've heard too many horror stories about bitches dying to put my girl through whelping and risk her life just because I want to 'experience' something. It would break my heart.

There was one particular post from Jed losing her Cav girl that was especially heartbreaking :cry: but I can't find it.

Something else to consider is that being a toy breed, she may not have many puppies and may also require surgical intervention to deliver them. Naturally, there are risks involved with this as well and you may lose the bitch AND puppies.

I believe your intentions are good, but honestly, is she REALLY of good enough quality to breed from her?

And yes...what has HER breeder said?

And editing to add: Even getting her desexed after ONE litter will not prevent her from mammary cancer if she is predisposed to getting it. It will actually make her MORE prone if she has a single litter.

snap

Please desex. Unless you are breeding for a good reason it is just to much of a risk. And there are plenty of puppies out there that are nice.

Oh, and just a friendly heads up. DOL'ers have long memories so deleting this thread because you don't like the answers won't work.

Why don't you have a read of this: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html

There are so many things that can go wrong, breeders who have been breeding for years lose their bitches and they know what they are doing! It isn't easy.

When people are saying "health testing" they aren't talking about a vet saying "yes she's healthy" they are talking about things like DNA tests for hereditary conditions which can cost several hundred dollars just for one test, Poms may have several (I don't know the breed).

Are you able to take time off work when the bitch is due to whelp? You can't just leave her alone to do it on her own, and you should probably have time off when they are really little (especially if they need hand raising) and then when they are closer to going to their new homes they will need you to feed them multiple times a day and may have people wanting to come into your home to meet the pups and the mother?

What about the heartbreak of losing the whole litter to parvo?

What if your girl doesn't want to be mated and you have to hold her still so the male can mate her while she screams in protest?

The homes that might be interested in pups now often go quiet when they are faced with a real puppy. And does a Pom suit them all? It would be up to YOU to make sure every single pup is in a home which can cater to its needs.

Please desex. Unless you are breeding for a good reason it is just to much of a risk. And there are plenty of puppies out there that are nice.

Oh, and just a friendly heads up. DOL'ers have long memories so deleting this thread because you don't like the answers won't work.

Thank you for your concern Burkes' but i have no problem with what anyone has said on here in regards to my post! I would of said so if i did. I appreciate all comments, and people are just voicing their concerns and interest and i asked them to do so (pro's & con's) in my first opening comment.

As i have just signed up to this site, i am not wanting to get off on the wrong foot with anyone, im not here for anything like that!

And in future if i want to delete' a old thread i should have every right to as i wrote it in the first place.

Samantha

Why don't you have a read of this: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html

There are so many things that can go wrong, breeders who have been breeding for years lose their bitches and they know what they are doing! It isn't easy.

When people are saying "health testing" they aren't talking about a vet saying "yes she's healthy" they are talking about things like DNA tests for hereditary conditions which can cost several hundred dollars just for one test, Poms may have several (I don't know the breed).

Are you able to take time off work when the bitch is due to whelp? You can't just leave her alone to do it on her own, and you should probably have time off when they are really little (especially if they need hand raising) and then when they are closer to going to their new homes they will need you to feed them multiple times a day and may have people wanting to come into your home to meet the pups and the mother?

What about the heartbreak of losing the whole litter to parvo?

What if your girl doesn't want to be mated and you have to hold her still so the male can mate her while she screams in protest?

The homes that might be interested in pups now often go quiet when they are faced with a real puppy. And does a Pom suit them all? It would be up to YOU to make sure every single pup is in a home which can cater to its needs.

This is a fantastic post. :cry:

Guest belgian.blue

Plenty of times in the past when I first joined that I wished there was a delete button .. we all post something something we want to delete but it only makes us stronger from what the Dol Community knowledge shares with you :cry: