Breakaway Collars

Staranais

Just what the title says - you apparently can't get one in this country for love nor money, and I'm not rich enough to import at the moment! Has any clever DOLer made their own before?

If you google "Breakaway collars" you get several Australian companies that stock them and they don't seem to be down as "out of stock" :D They are about $30 each including postage.

Alternatively, given how good the Aussie dollar is atm buying from the USA is probably quite cheap depending on postage costs ;)

I have seen some homemade ones made with strong velcro fastenings though :love:

ETA: hmm, just saw that you are "overseas" so my suggestions may not help :)

Edited by mirawee

We make break away tie ups for horses using bailing twine off the hay bales.

You could do something like that with a collar, you just need to put a "weak" link in it somewhere.

I make break away ties for bits of scuba gear out of wool and/or rubber bands.

It's a matter of figuring out what would break before the dog was strangled ie something that would snap with 20kg of weight (for my dog) - so theoretically 15kg breaking force fishing line would do it - but I'd probably rather use something else like plaited wool or strips of old cotton tee-shirt.

Thanks guys!

I'm in NZ.

Yup, the bailing twine or wool idea was all I'd come up with (except for perhaps canabilising a couple of kitty collars for their breakway components?) The fishing line idea is a good one, I might investigate that too.

Pity it's patented, but that explains why I can't find any dog size breakaway clips in the shops here.

ETA: Kelpiehoundmum, that's a really generous offer, but I can't pay you for postage unless you have a paypal account, so might be a little impractical? Thanks very much for the thought!

Edited by Staranais