Are Australian Bulldogs A Registered Breed?

Guest Willow

Guest Willow
No.

If you're ever wondering about any breed's status with the ANKC, a full list of recognised breeds, complete with breed standards is provided here

thank you for the link. The reason i ask is that a friend just bought a pup from a guy advertising himself as "A Registered Breeder of Australian Bulldogs".

No.

If you're ever wondering about any breed's status with the ANKC, a full list of recognised breeds, complete with breed standards is provided here

thank you for the link. The reason i ask is that a friend just bought a pup from a guy advertising himself as "A Registered Breeder of Australian Bulldogs".

I think the Aussie Bulldog folk have their own register. The breeder may register pups with the Australian Bulldog Society. It's not the same as ANKC registration but they have a code of ethics which can't be a bad thing. Their code pretty much parallels the ANKC one.

Guest Willow
No.

I think the Aussie Bulldog folk have their own register. The breeder may register pups with the Australian Bulldog Society. It's not the same as ANKC registration but they have a code of ethics which can't be a bad thing. Their code pretty much parallels the ANKC one.

ah, ok, thanks. I didn't want to think they had been duped.

And also, can't someone technically say they are 'Registered' if they are a registered business? So maybe that's how they are getting through the loop hole.

God knows the puppy factories use it that way. :laugh:

I'd call the Aussie Bulldog a breed in development. They have a standard and a code of ethics. I have no idea if ANKC recognition is in their plans but they appear to be doing all the right things.

Maybe I can help :) I parent 3, all registered with ABS Inc.

(For the record: I don't breed. I am not ABS Inc member. I admire the ethics of the breeder of my dogs)

Poodlefan is correct re Australian Bulldogs.

They are developing breed and not registered with ANKC.

Australian Bulldog Society is an Incorporated organisation. It has breed standards, code of ethics, constitution, keeps register of dogs and has a rescue group :D .

They do enforce their code of conduct - I have seen it in action when I was active in their rescue group.

Why?

ABS Inc is working towards ANKC registration. It takes a lot of effort and means that the organisation's behaviour must be acceptable to ANKC.

Edited by HonBun