Ever Snuck The Dog Into A Motel?

Jeez, I hope none of you are my Secret Santa this year...I'll never get a pressy

You might get one of those guide books to pet friendly accommodation. :rolleyes:

Edited by Diva

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay everyone, I'll be leaving my dog in the car overnight. Thanks for helping out.

Here's the thing. You don't have to if you are prepared to look hard.

Plan ahead. Hit the "dog friendly accommodation websites". ETA: I own the Holidays with Dogs book too. Make calls to caravan parks etc.

My standard spiel goes like this (phone or email)

I will be visiting Oodnadatta on the nights of x and y to attend a show (or whatever). Could you please advise if you have any rooms or cabins that allow dogs inside. My x dogs (I name number and breed) are obedience and house trained, will have been recently bathed and I will not be doing any grooming inside. I appreciate that not all places allow dogs inside so a refusal of accommodation will not offend. Thank you.

Yours,

The Twit.

Edited by poodlefan

Unfortunately the Moral poliice have ruined a fun thread, missing the point because they may travel frequently to shows with multiple dogs
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept that "Pet-friendly hotels stopped being pet-friendly because dogs destroyed things and messed up the place so naturally sneaking dogs in once they stopped being pet-friendly is also a reason they stopped being pet-friendly". :rolleyes: I don't get it.. they'd ban pets regardless of people sneaking them in or not..

I agree Dju.

I think there is two separate isues here.

1. Screwing up pet friendly accomodation with irresponsibilty.

It's a real shame when this has happened and I feel for the owners who are left with a mess to clean up. Can't blame them for banning dogs in that instance.

But it is different to:

2. Sneaking a dog into accommodation thats already not dog freindly.

PROVIDED you are responsible and leave no trace I don't really see it as a big issue.

Ok so your dog may get the squirts or vomit, but seriously what are the chances of that?

I'll admit to having have done this while on a long trip. I had planned to make it to a dog freindly motel but felt I would have been pushing myself to keep driving.

Better that than falling asleep at the wheel and potentially taking someone else out. IMO.

Unfortunately the Moral poliice have ruined a fun thread, missing the point because they may travel frequently to shows with multiple dogs
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept that "Pet-friendly hotels stopped being pet-friendly because dogs destroyed things and messed up the place so naturally sneaking dogs in once they stopped being pet-friendly is also a reason they stopped being pet-friendly". :rolleyes: I don't get it.. they'd ban pets regardless of people sneaking them in or not..

I agree Dju.

It's a real shame when this has happened and I feel for the owners who are left with a mess to clean up. Can't blame them for banning dogs in that instance.

But it is different to:

PROVIDED you are responsible and leave no trace I don't really see it as a big issue.

Ok so your dog may get the squirts or vomit, but seriously what are the chances of that?

you are not a responsible dog owner if you break the rules and take your dog into a motel room that does not permit them.

No, but when I've been to motels I have my car set up with a crate & grills so that the dog can sleep in the back overnight safely. I figure it's not their business what's in my car! :rolleyes:

That's very sensible. Do you do that in the warmer months?? I am very careful not to leave my dog in a warm car, but obviously you have managed the temperature for them ok.

Nope, it has never been an issue when leaving her overnight. I would be more concerned she would get cold in the colder months.

I agree Dju.

But it is different to:

I'll admit to having have done this while on a long trip. I had planned to make it to a dog freindly motel but felt I would have been pushing myself to keep driving.

Better that than falling asleep at the wheel and potentially taking someone else out. IMO.

(My italics).

Unless you thoroughly steam cleam the entire room before you leave there WILL be trace dog dander left, no matter how clean or non-shedding or well vaccumed your dog is. This does present a potential hazard to someone with severe allergies.

If you didn't know that before, well, now you do - so any future sneaking of dogs without the proprietor's knowledge would be a loud and clear statement of your lack of respect. Please DON'T do it. Unless you travel with a high pressure steam cleaner...and use it.

EFS and sense

Edited by RuralPug

IGs dont shed and once again slept on thier own bedding anyway.

of course iggy's shed!

Well tyou dont need to worry they have thier own bedding! So they wont be shedding anywhere near you LOL

do you really not understand that hair falls off a dog and floats around? It doesn't fall nicely onto the bed only. Then there is the dander, the microscopic bits of dead skin, impossible to see, but potentially deadly to anyone allergic.

Unreal

Ok, to those who think sneaking them in is ok because your dog won't make a mess, what do you think about the fact that there may be a person stay in that room who is allergic? How can you justify sneaking your dog in knowing that?

Well i see it as my revenge as im allergic to cigg smoke and yet so many rooms that are non smoking have had ppl smoking in them.. such is life. It gives me asthma but its just something I have to deal with if i chose to stay in budget priced accomodation.. I dont stay at really flash places if I have dogs with me. So if a person has a serious allergy to anything perhaps they should stay in a upmarket place. That way they can be sure theres no evil pet hairs lurking anywhere.

To be honest I generally stay at pet friendly places, onsite cabins in van parks etc where you bring your own linen. Anyone who is dumb enough to let thier baby crawl around the floor of a onsite cabin shouldn't be surprised what the child picks up disease wise. I have snuck dogs into several motel rooms over the years, but they were isolated events. Its not like i do this every weekend!

IGs dont shed and once again slept on thier own bedding anyway.

of course iggy's shed!

Well tyou dont need to worry they have thier own bedding! So they wont be shedding anywhere near you LOL

do you really not understand that hair falls off a dog and floats around? It doesn't fall nicely onto the bed only. Then there is the dander, the microscopic bits of dead skin, impossible to see, but potentially deadly to anyone allergic.

Unreal

LOL you need to get out and mix with the 3 dimensional ppl more..

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept that "Pet-friendly hotels stopped being pet-friendly because dogs destroyed things and messed up the place so naturally sneaking dogs in once they stopped being pet-friendly is also a reason they stopped being pet-friendly". :D I don't get it.. they'd ban pets regardless of people sneaking them in or not..

I agree Dju.

But it is different to:

Yep, I see a lot of mixing up two different issues in this thread. People who sneak dogs into no-pet hotels are being lumped into the same category as people who allow their dogs to take a crap on the carpet of a dog-friendly hotel. I think the added argument about "allergies" being a serious issue is, well, stupid because I'm allergic to cats, there has never been a cat in this house, and yet when my cat-owning friend comes over, I'll be sneezing and puffy for days just because she also carries in a whole lot of cat hairs through her clothing and sits on our furniture (I mean we can't very well force her to sit on the floor or not touch anything when she's in our house, can we?). People could just as easily be covered in dog hair because they own a heavily shedding breed and throw their clothes all around the furniture in a hotel and people with allergies would still be affected, despite the fact an animal has not physically been in that room. :rolleyes:

I agree to a point that if hotels have the ban in place it should be respected, but why did they have that ban in the first place? Dogs toileting everywhere, chewing things etc etc are probably most of the reasons, but as you said, if the dog leaves no trace behind, what's the issue?

To be honest I generally stay at pet friendly places, onsite cabins in van parks etc where you bring your own linen. Anyone who is dumb enough to let thier baby crawl around the floor of a onsite cabin shouldn't be surprised what the child picks up disease wise. I have snuck dogs into several motel rooms over the years, but they were isolated events. Its not like i do this every weekend!

yeah who cares, it's only an isolated event, that you may have made someone very ill, doesn't happen often so it doesn't count

No no Dju its the dander that my very low shedding iggy may leave behind that will cause an allergic reaction.. not the golden retriever hair stuck on my jacket/shoes etc that I may accidentallyw alk into the room! My golden can shed up a storm and theres no way im not a walking testament to that when i travel with her when shes shedding.

No no Dju its the dander that my very low shedding iggy may leave behind that will cause an allergic reaction.. not the golden retriever hair stuck on my jacket/shoes etc that I may accidentallyw alk into the room! My golden can shed up a storm and theres no way im not a walking testament to that when i travel with her when shes shedding.

Most people are allergic to teh dander (dead skin that all dogs shed) rather than the hair.

Most people are allergic to teh dander (dead skin that all dogs shed) rather than the hair.

Some people are allergic to the saliva too.

No one is confusing two issues they are one and the same - sneaking your dog into a room (knowing that motel management don't allow it) regardless of how clean the dog is or how much (or little) hair it drops is WRONG...

AND for anyone thinking it's ok but hasn't done it - you're just as bad!

It is so very difficult these days to find a motel that will even take a car/trailer without having dogs in a room (illegally).

Edited by Aziah