Breed Recommendations Please

indigirl

Hi, a good friend of mine who currently has 3 children, aged 10, 9 and almost 3 is wanting a puppy for her 10year old. They already have a 4year old purebred boxer bitch who isnt good with other adult females but is ok with males and should be fine with a puppy after careful introductions etc. The 10yr old wants a small dog she can carry around and sleep in her bed and be able to walk etc. The mother isnt so keen on long haired dogs and prefers short coats. The dog would need to (eventually) be able to be with the boxer dog and hopefully play together, so it would need to be a little robust. It would sleep inside at night and be outdoors most of the day once old enough. They are wanting a purebred dog. Their current boxer is very much part of the family and gets loads of attention. They have minded an adult iggy of mine for a month previously and really enjoyed having him. Boxer and my iggy played all day and got along famously.

The 10year old loves the look of cavs, but the mother isnt keen on the longer coat.

Any breed suggestions would be welcome!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smooth coated JRT- very active and robust dogs.

That shed like buggery I'm told. If your friend thinks that a short haired dog means less hair in the house I'd be thinking again.

I think this needs to be a family decision based on more than what a 10 year old likes the look of.

What sort of exercise and training will the next dog get?

Smooth coated JRT- very active and robust dogs.

That shed like buggery I'm told. If your friend thinks that a short haired dog means less hair in the house I'd be thinking again.

I think this needs to be a family decision based on more than what a 10 year old likes the look of.

What sort of exercise and training will the next dog get?

I can confirm that smooth coat JRT's shed ALOT of hair. It's unreal how much they lose. I can tell when OH has been having a cuddle with our JRT bitch cause he is covered in white and tan hairs!

ETA - Despite the shedding they are great little dogs!

Edited by dobesrock

They specifically want a puppy. The dog would get regular walks to the park as they go almsot every day to the park at the end of their street. Training wise the mother grew up with bullies her parents bred/showed them for years. So she isnt completly ignorant re:dogs. Their boxer is very well trained around the house, but she pulls on the lead and can be dominat with other female dogs. She has a great recall and very well mannered, she has been taught to sit, stay etc . At present the Boxer has a dog walker as the mother was badly injured in a car wreck 6 months ago and isnt strong enough to walk the Boxer yet. Hence they want a dog that is easier to walk that the 10year old can manage. They also want the dog as a companion for the boxer.

So a small dog that doesnt have huge exerciose requirements is probably the go.

They specifically want a puppy. The dog would get regular walks to the park as they go almsot every day to the park at the end of their street. Training wise the mother grew up with bullies her parents bred/showed them for years. So she isnt completly ignorant re:dogs. Their boxer is very well trained around the house, but she pulls on the lead and can be dominat with other female dogs. She has a great recall and very well mannered, she has been taught to sit, stay etc . At present the Boxer has a dog walker as the mother was badly injured in a car wreck 6 months ago and isnt strong enough to walk the Boxer yet. Hence they want a dog that is easier to walk that the 10year old can manage. They also want the dog as a companion for the boxer.

So a small dog that doesnt have huge exerciose requirements is probably the go.

That rules out a JRT :heart:

Now i am thinking maybe a pug?

At present the Boxer has a dog walker as the mother was badly injured in a car wreck 6 months ago and isnt strong enough to walk the Boxer yet. Hence they want a dog that is easier to walk that the 10year old can manage. They also want the dog as a companion for the boxer.

I wouldn't allow any 10 year old to be in charge of walking a dog, they may well be able to manage their own dog, but a 10 year old isn't capable of dealing with any problems that may arise eg. another dog attacking. I think it would be a good idea to wait until the mother recovers before they get another dog.

At present the Boxer has a dog walker as the mother was badly injured in a car wreck 6 months ago and isnt strong enough to walk the Boxer yet. Hence they want a dog that is easier to walk that the 10year old can manage. They also want the dog as a companion for the boxer.

I wouldn't allow any 10 year old to be in charge of walking a dog, they may well be able to manage their own dog, but a 10 year old isn't capable of dealing with any problems that may arise eg. another dog attacking. I think it would be a good idea to wait until the mother recovers before they get another dog.

It is actually illegal in NSW

No, but the mother has a rod in her leg from hip to knee, and a plate in her wrist that are still healing, she cant handle a strong dog that pulls. The 10yr old has been asking for her own dog for over a year now. I am not asking whether they should get a dog - thats not my decision, I just want to point them in the right direction breed wise. If they choose to get a 2nd dog its better for everyone if the breed is well suited to their household.

Pugs shed pretty bad too.

"Robust" makes me think of a Swedish Vallhund, but I'm not 100% sure of their exercise requirements.

I have heard they are VERY active and require a lot of mental and physical exercise.

It is quite hard to think of a dog that is robust but can be carried around by a 10 year old! Esepcially a short haired one!

Maybe a toy/mini poodle but I;m not really sure how you would classify the coat- it doesn't shed as much but is still high maintenance.

mini schnauzer

lakeland terrier

Boston terrier

West highland

Will suggest a basenji or Schipperke to her :heart: thats for the suggestions. I am not that familiar with the trailts of many smaller breeds, hence why I asked here.

I'd be going smaller - a more robust Toy breed like a Pug. Any dog, even a small breed, is quite capable of pulling like a train if not trained otherwise and I can't see a novice 10 year old as up to the task which means it will have to be mum.

I wouldn't suggest basenji to them... the basenji I've met are too much for a 10 years old (no matter how dog savvy they are).

I would stick to the Cavvies, shih tzu, pug type of dogs... if the fur it too much, just get them clipped.

Or even a miniature poodle.