Herding Instinct In Border Collies

shyfig

I never realised that "herding instinct" in a herding breed was an undesirable trait in a pet.

Most of the articles about Border Collies that I have read imply that Border Collies are only suited to owners who will work them with livestock or owners who, having the Border as a pet, are willing to dedicate hours and hours in the day to one on one physical exercise and to ensure that they are involved in dog sports at least in lieu of being able to utilize their herding instinct with stock.

The challenging information of course being that if the new or potential owner isn't prepared for this type of committment, then the Border, as a result of the supressed or unused herding desire, will most likely be heading for a one way trip to the pound as the disappointed but "failed" owner is unable to handle the repercussions.

Some of the repercussions being undesirable behaviour such as digging, chasing cars...people, rounding up family pets, and eating and destroying the home inside and out.

That's why I have been concerned about it...and sought advice from members of this forum whom, having the practical experience with these dogs, may be able to shed some light on any areas of this information which may ring true should my boy'/s herding instinct switch on.

My 4yo border Brock is the most laid back dog you could meet. As long as he got lots of pats he would be happy living in a flat. He has pretty much failed at all dog sports. He is a really lovely pet though.

I've always found mine need mental stimulation over physical exercise. So have a go at teaching you pup tricks as well as the basic sit etc.

Make sure pup is part of the family too. They love their families.

My 4yo border Brock is the most laid back dog you could meet. As long as he got lots of pats he would be happy living in a flat. He has pretty much failed at all dog sports. He is a really lovely pet though.

I've always found mine need mental stimulation over physical exercise. So have a go at teaching you pup tricks as well as the basic sit etc.

Make sure pup is part of the family too. They love their families.

My boy would also die for pats....he is so affectionate and that is exactly as I was dreaming. Jed is a huge part of our family....as I mentioned in my initial post we are home 24/7 all day most days of the year as I am a full time carer to 3 boys whom have high functioning autism and are home schooled. Jed will never be lonely that's for sure. He loves "his boys" and is quickly learning their names and has instinctively picked up on the boys individual preferences. For example my oldest boy (15) has OCD and his fear of germs overtakes his life....so Jed has picked up very quickly that his cuddles and playtime with John is broken up a lot with "attending" the bathroom for handwashing.

I am trying to focus on Jed's mental stimulation as I do believe that this is what he would find difficult to cope without...lack of problem solving. Jed has learnt all of our names including the two cats....can sit....sits and waits before he can eat...knows the difference between inside and outside and of course that is then built on (i.e). if he brings a bone inside I only have to say "ah..ahh...outside food Jed" and he remembers to take it outside. I think for a less than a month of owning Jed he is certainly doing OK. He is just adorable....having said that I work hard and firmly but fairly and consistently to help him become a well mannered pet and a dog that will know what to expect from his people.

I'm glad your enjoying him.

Buster is very lazy for a kelpie/catte dogs mix but we don't know his background. He likes learning tricks and his daily romp in the paddocks, I think he could have been a good agility dog but he's equally happy to just sprawl out asleep all day.

Quinn on the other hands is the most energetic puppy I've ever met and has the stamina to go all day. She's been learning tricks since the first week I bought her home and already knows msot of the ones Buster knows (figure 8 through my legs, spin etc) I want to start teaching her things to help out in the house. Like to put away her toys or hit the snooze button on my alarm. lol

I want to start teaching her things to help out in the house. Like to put away her toys or hit the snooze button on my alarm. lol

That would be so cool!! I keep telling people that I'm going to teach Jed to help me with the housework and mostly they laugh....but I'm pretty determined to see what we can do.

Something I have always done with my borders is to pretend that they are helping with stuff. So if i go out to hang the washing on the line I'll say to them 'lets go to the line', we go to the line and I'll get them to sit or drop, then it is 'back to the house'. And I'll tell them they did a good job!

Something I have always done with my borders is to pretend that they are helping with stuff. So if i go out to hang the washing on the line I'll say to them 'lets go to the line', we go to the line and I'll get them to sit or drop, then it is 'back to the house'. And I'll tell them they did a good job!

I can really relate to that! I speak to Jed all day generally rambling on but will highlight specifics such as "John's room...let's go to John's room" ...that way he has learn't where the boys are situated in the house (as they spend most time in their rooms). I also do the let's go to the clothesline, kitchen etc, Jed's toy, not toy (obviously if it isn't) and probably much more than I can think of. Oh I introduced him to the "gas man" yesterday and becuase I had a Hidden fence installed I am letting anyone that visits (including utility persons) know and practice entering and leaving so they will do the right thing with Jed. Being in a small country town most people are more than willing to cooperate.

By far the most rewarding achievement so far is introducing Jed to our two beautiful cats Pudicus and Charlotte. That of course is worthy of another longer post later. :eek:

P.S How does one do the picture thing at the bottom of posts...of pets...some sort of photo signature??

As others have pretty much said. Instinct, drive and all that depends on the lines in which the dog was bred and the ability of the breeder to identify the traits early on as puppies and try to match traits of the puppies to the owner's lifestyle.

Some BC's are more driven than others. Within one litter you can have a very driven puppy and a very lazy puppy and all things in between. It depends on whether you went for more working lines or show lines. There are good working dogs within the show lines and there are bad working dogs in working lines. Regardless of who is breeding the BC and their purposes, temperament and health should be kept paramount.

I know with my lines, the girls tend to be more driven than boys. The boys are more content to laze around with you, the girls are out there and get em dogs.