Fleas Are Back!

Alfie02

Hi All :thumbsup:

Just thought that I should let other DOLers know how much success I have had with the new flea treatment 'comfortis'. I have tried all the spot ons available and all the flea rinses, flea bombed the house etc and still had a major flea problem at my house. The dogs were crazy itchy and we were at our wits end at what to do. So we finally found comfortis and decided to give it a go.

Well it is my new best friend :) . Since the weather has gotten warmer have only found one flea and it was dead! The dogs are sooo happy to not be sooo itchy, this is the first time in about two years that the dogs have been completely flea free :thumbsup: .

The product does actually have some risks invollved cos its the first year out and some dogs have had bad reactions to it, but our dogs have been fine on it.

Just thought I would share this with you all :crossfingers:

Hi All :thumbsup:

Just thought that I should let other DOLers know how much success I have had with the new flea treatment 'comfortis'. I have tried all the spot ons available and all the flea rinses, flea bombed the house etc and still had a major flea problem at my house. The dogs were crazy itchy and we were at our wits end at what to do. So we finally found comfortis and decided to give it a go.

Well it is my new best friend :) . Since the weather has gotten warmer have only found one flea and it was dead! The dogs are sooo happy to not be sooo itchy, this is the first time in about two years that the dogs have been completely flea free :thumbsup: .

The product does actually have some risks invollved cos its the first year out and some dogs have had bad reactions to it, but our dogs have been fine on it.

Just thought I would share this with you all :crossfingers:

Is this an oral treatment? I think my vet mentioned something about a new treatment out for fleas thought she said it was oral though i could be wrong.

whats it like price wise (if you dont mind me asking) and do they have it for cats do you know? I use advantage atm it controls the ear mites for the cats, do you know if it only controls fleas or does it work on other things as well?

It is quite expensive at $70, but the one box lasts for 6 months (as it has 6 tablets inside), so it ends up being about $12 a month which is alright i think?

The box I buy is only for dogs 4.6 to 9kgs so for heavier dogs it may be more expensive?

Im not sure if they have it for cats or not sorry, although im thinking it may just be for dogs?

And its only for the "prevention and control of flea infestations on dogs and for the control of flea alergy dermititis" So it just gets the fleas :)

whats it like price wise (if you dont mind me asking) and do they have it for cats do you know? I use advantage atm it controls the ear mites for the cats, do you know if it only controls fleas or does it work on other things as well?

They don't have it for cats at the moment, but they are working on it, my vet told me.

I think it's a fantastic product, Bertie has had no trouble with it. I think it's very important to remember to give it WITH food. And it says chewable...but I don't take that chance, I don't think Bertie would eat it left to himself.

Wow, thanks for that Mim! I will definaltey get mine from there from now on, a great saving :crossfingers:

Yep my boys always get their tablet with food, but I think they would eat it by itself cos they tend to love the taste of heartworming and flavoured tablets in general :)

It is quite expensive at $70, but the one box lasts for 6 months (as it has 6 tablets inside), so it ends up being about $12 a month which is alright i think?

The box I buy is only for dogs 4.6 to 9kgs so for heavier dogs it may be more expensive?

Im not sure if they have it for cats or not sorry, although im thinking it may just be for dogs?

And its only for the "prevention and control of flea infestations on dogs and for the control of flea alergy dermititis" So it just gets the fleas :crossfingers:

Ok thanks it def sounds like a plan last summer wasnt too bad but the one b4 when I wasnt living here I would come to visit and you would put midge out for the toilet and by the time she came in she would have about 50 of them running across her belly :) it was terrible mum was having to bomb the house every week and no flea treatment could keep up. fingers crossed its not so bad this yr.

They don't have it for cats at the moment, but they are working on it, my vet told me.

I think it's a fantastic product, Bertie has had no trouble with it. I think it's very important to remember to give it WITH food. And it says chewable...but I don't take that chance, I don't think Bertie would eat it left to himself.

Will have to ask my vet about it next time i go in :)

We've had huge succsess with comfortis in our clinic. The greatest advantage is that the product is effective against adult fleas within two hours of ingestion, rather than the 48hrs + that spot on applications can claim. A product suitable for cats is, i believe, in the pipeline. At this stage comfortis is only patented for flea treatment.

DogNerd, I totally understand where you are coming from with the risky-ness of the product being an internal medicine.

Before we used it we wieghed up the pros and cons and asked our vet about it, and because our dogs are healthy we decided to use it as they suffer terribly from fleas and the itching is never ending with out this product. I have however heard that someone used this product on their dog that had epilepsy and it caused an attack, or so they think.

So yeah, defs have to be careful and weigh up the pros and cons and just hope that you arnt the unlucky one who's dog has a reaction to the product i guess?

:)

My dog has been using comfortis and its great. Only thing is i mentioned to my vet that my pup has allergies and they thought it might be from fleas in which case comfortis wouldnt be as great as some other treatments because it gives fleas a chance to bite before they die. But it's still probably the best as the other treatments don't seem to be as effective.. Anyway i buy mine from priceless pets too, so much cheaper than other retailers

I didn't have a problem with Advantix for the dogs but Advantage didn't ever cut it for the cats. I've recently given Comfortis to the cats. It's not registered for cats but your vet can still work out the dosage. I gave it to all 3 cats about two weeks ago and have only seen one piece of flea dirt since :)