Dog Training Instructor Courses

Prag

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to draw on the wealth of experience and knowledge within this online community.

I am looking to get involved in dog training and am currently looking at courses I could complete in order to do so.

The trainer at the place I go now for my dog's training has recommended Kintala in Heidelberg. Which to me seems reasonably good and they focus on positive training methods which is something I appreciate.

I live in VIC and work full time so please keep this in mind when offering suggestions. I could mayeb get a week or so off to complete a course full time if that was necessary but woudl much prefer a course that I could do in the evening and or weekends. I do not always have access to a car either so it woudl help if there was a train station withn a few km of the facility where the course is run.

I appreciate any suggestions and experiences with training courses that people are willing to share.

Thank you all.

Yep, just finished my second Block for the NDTF. Highly recommended from me, I am loving it!!

It will also give you a balanced view of dog training which is what you need when you are first getting into it, rather than pretending that two quadrants don't exist...

It will also give you a balanced view of dog training which is what you need when you are first getting into it, rather than pretending that two quadrants don't exist...

That depends completely on what you want to do with your training skills. Folks that are just starting out might benefit equally well from really getting to thoroughly know one approach. It's amazing what can be achieved with a solid knowledge of "just one or two quadrants". It may be worth asking yourself what kind of training you want to do and what the market is like in your local area. A lot of potential clients might prefer a dog trainer that "pretends two quadrants don't exist". I saw an article in Dog's Life magazine today that suggested the most important thing in selecting a trainer was that they use positive methods. Whether it's bollocks or not is completely irrelevant. What's relevant is what people are being told to look for in a trainer. I'd be seriously taking that into consideration if it were me.

You can use positive methods if you do the NDTF course :eek:

I liked that you found out about different types of training, with guest speakers from fields such as scent detection etc. You were told about different equipment and methods but allowed to choose what to use. I found the course plus further research into methods and equipment (including a seminar specifically on that equipment) allowed me to make an informed choice about what I was and was not comfortable using and why. There is one quadrant I am not comfortable using :mad but I am glad I was given information on it and that it was not ignored as 'wrong' or 'cruel' and that I know the theory behind how to do it properly.

The NDTF course is fantastic. Many people who do the course work full time as well. It is a lot to manage but if you are organised and determained then you can do it.

The course outline for the "local course" is one weekend a moth of theory and one day a month of practical training (generally pick between a saturday or sunday).

You are also assigned a "home centre". This is an obedience club that you attend weekly (once, twice, 3 or 4 times depending on the club and how often you are able to go). For me this is where I have learnt the most as it is hands on and the dogs are unpredictable.

The great thing about NDTF is they don't tell you that you have to use a particular method (unlike other trainer's courses), they show you all methods and tell you to use what works best for you. But think about it, why would you want to cut yourself off and say you don't use a particular method? One day you are going to come across a dog where that method is the only one that works and you will need to know how to apply it.

Many of the practical or theory days are held by well respected trainers in Australia including Steve Austin and Boyd Hooper.

I would highly recommend the local course if you live in Melbourne and have weekends free. It gives you time to take what you learn over the weekend, research more into it throughout the week and then go back with any questions. You also have regular contact with trainers and other students which keeps you really motivated.

***Corvus*** I saw that article as well. All I will say is I was not impressed. Funny how delta who only use positive reinforcement/ negative punishment have frequent paid advertising in there.....

That depends completely on what you want to do with your training skills. Folks that are just starting out might benefit equally well from really getting to thoroughly know one approach. It's amazing what can be achieved with a solid knowledge of "just one or two quadrants". It may be worth asking yourself what kind of training you want to do and what the market is like in your local area. A lot of potential clients might prefer a dog trainer that "pretends two quadrants don't exist". I saw an article in Dog's Life magazine today that suggested the most important thing in selecting a trainer was that they use positive methods. Whether it's bollocks or not is completely irrelevant. What's relevant is what people are being told to look for in a trainer. I'd be seriously taking that into consideration if it were me.

How can anyone be a good trainer without at least understanding all four quadrants? You don't have to use them, but shouldn't a good trainer learn as much as possible? I wouldn't go near a trainer who said 'I only learn about one method and that's it!'

Edited by huski

How can anyone be a good trainer without at least understanding all four quadrants? You don't have to use them, but shouldn't a good trainer learn as much as possible? I wouldn't go near a trainer who said 'I only learn about one method and that's it!'

Exactly. No where did I say the OP had to use all four quadrants in her training, however I stick by my statement that she should be LEARNING and UNDERSTANDING all of them as someone new to training so she can then make the decision for herself.

hi guys,

I appreciate all the info I had a look at NDTF it seems pretty good. I'll have to have a good read but they idea of learning different methods appeals though. I really like the gentle method that Kintala teach as well. I guess I will have to read some more and then decide.

Thanks Again for all your help