Proposal To Give

Tara and Sam

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-a...3-1225929661309

THE Law Society and animal welfare groups say pet shop owners should be given the power to reject customers who clearly would not be able to care for an animal.

Law Society animal welfare committee chairwoman Joana Fuller said the society wanted changes to stop pet dumping and abuse as part of a State Government review of laws covering the industry.

The law would work by allowing pet shop owners to refuse to hand over an animal to a customer who mistreated an animal in the store, who said they could not afford vaccinations or medical treatment or who otherwise indicated they would not be a good pet owner.

"Often the pet shop owner can form a view about how well the customer will look after an animal or if they are an impulse buyer who will soon dump the pet," she said.

"The change would also give the pet shop owner the protection and peace of mind to be able to decline a sale."

Ms Fuller said the new power would not be forced on pet shop owners but would give those who wanted to do the right thing the power to refuse customers.

Conservation Council of SA chief executive Julie Pettett said pet shop owners should be required to ask a list of questions to determine if potential customers would be responsible pet owners.

"There would have to be a right to natural justice and the right of appeal independently of the shop, but we would support it wholeheartedly," she said.

Animal Welfare League communications officer Brenda Champion said the reality of the real cost of having a pet hits soon after buying on impulse.

"Pets are for life, not an impulse buy, and people need to consider all the costs associated with keeping a pet," she said.

"It is essential that pet owners consider the lifestyle and financial aspects of pet ownership."

Georgia Nash, 16, said that, when she was on work experience at Northside Pet Superstore last week, she noticed some people bought pets without considering whether they could look after them in the long term.

"This puppy (pictured with Georgia) was returned a few days after she was bought because the lady didn't think she would be able to look after her," she said. "People should really research breeds before they buy dogs."

Ban dogs in pet shops, I say

it was also on chanel 7 this morning

where does the law say you have to sell a customer an item if they want it? You dont. It's your store and up to your discretion whether you sell something or not.

Pet stores want profit, I havnt seen one that gives a toss where their puppies and kittens go when they're relying on them for income

Another example of needless legislation.

People who sell pets already have the right not to sell to anyone they don't want to sell to.

And lawyers would know that. I have to wonder why they are wanting unnecessary legislation.

Refer contract law.

Somone makes you an offer, you can either accept or reject. Some friends of mine owned a pet shop some years ago and they were very fussy about where the pups went, so often said no, which it was within their rights to do

where does the law say you have to sell a customer an item if they want it? You dont. It's your store and up to your discretion whether you sell something or not.

That's what I thought.

As far as I was aware, a private business can refuse service.

At any rate, this proposal isn't going to make a lick of difference. If pet stores that sold puppies and kittens were genuinely concerned about finding good homes for those animals, they'd likely not be selling them from a retail outlet in the first place.

Edited for typo

Edited by Hardy's Angel

I thought stores already had the right to eject/ban.not sell to you if they didn't want you in their store ... I got chucked out of one when I told the store owner to do something about the lack of clean water (it was green and slimy) and overcrowding in his bird cages!!!

Edited by Tilly

SO a 22yo kid behind the counter is going to say sorry the boss says we cant sell this aniaml to you - if the proposal is as its been reported its a step in the right direction the pet shop can have a short list of questions and be able to ask (though youd hope its only basic things like are you aware vaccinations will cost x will that be an issue, ongoing food costs will cost approx x will that be an issue, are you aware this animal grow bigger than a handbag, etc as for the buyer profession and postcode isnt too bad too ask) and if they appear too 'oh but its cute I want it' type shoppers they at least have some come back if the person demands the animal be sold to them.

It all sounds good to say they can refuse to sell now but cant see the young ones left at the register handling a rude demanding customer who wants an animal no matter what being able to say sorry but you dont seem fit to buy one.

see it only as their attempt to say that you don't need to stop the puppy factory dogs being sold here - we will do the right thing - yes because they are so ethical already, and we could certainly trust the bored 20yo behind the counter to make that sort of assessment - NOT