Puppy Vaccination Question!

W Sibs

my friend has a puppy beagle.. had the puppy since she was 7 weeks old (don't worry.. i gave them the talk!) and the puppy only had one vac the first one in july. they went to the vets this week to book the puppy in for a vac and told him that the puppy has to do the 3 vac course again... is that right?

Its worrying that the pup has had only one shot......hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can respond?! Wonder if the pup would need a heartworm test as well before being heartwormed again?

BTW - knowing my love of beagles....any pics? :):P

my friend has a puppy beagle.. had the puppy since she was 7 weeks old (don't worry.. i gave them the talk!) and the puppy only had one vac the first one in july. they went to the vets this week to book the puppy in for a vac and told him that the puppy has to do the 3 vac course again... is that right?

No that is not true in my opinion.

Use a different vet and just ask for a vaccination.

Take the puppies vaccination card with you.

Up to the owner what they want to give too. They can use any of these

C3

C4

C5

No, that doesn't sound right to me. So long as she's had one vaccination when she was at least 12 weeks old as a pup, then she should just need one dose at one year old.

it doesn't sound like it had the vac at 12 weeks though staranais?

so it had it's very first vac in july and hasn't had any since then? how old was it when it had the first vac? was it when it was 7 weeks old? i honestly don't know CW EW, but i would assume that if they didn't do the three separate vacs when the pup is young then it has no immunity to boost if you know what i mean?

it doesn't sound like it had the vac at 12 weeks though staranais?

so it had it's very first vac in july and hasn't had any since then? how old was it when it had the first vac? was it when it was 7 weeks old? i honestly don't know CW EW, but i would assume that if they didn't do the three separate vacs when the pup is young then it has no immunity to boost if you know what i mean?

yeah i do. from what they told me, they said they got the pup vaccinated but now the pup is about 5 months old... and they are irresponsible to continue the puppy vaccinations (they lied to me about it a few weeks ago saying their pup is all up to date in vaccinations) but now out of the blue today they asked me this. so i really don´t know...

i never heard you can redo vaccinations again and find it weird...

If the pup is now over 12-14 weeks ONE vaccination should be fine. Vaccination doesn't boost immunity, it creates it (in theory)

Lack of antibodies is actually not a bad thing here, there's little chance the new vaccination will be nullified by maternal immunity which is always the problem with vaccinating younger ones.

We're taught that two vacc are best - a priming dose (with the pup over 12 weeks old), and a second dose to induce the anamnestic response (usually given a year later). So if the pup didn't get any vacc originally, we'd want to give it two now. If it had had one after 12 weeks old in the past, just keep going with the regular protocol of one at 1 year old, then one every 3 years (unless owner wants something different e.g. titre test).

Even Dr Jean Dodds recommends a 1 year booster after puppy vaccinations, and she's a very strong supporter of the minimal vaccination protocols.

The earlier puppy vacc are just to protect pup in case it loses maternal antibody protection earlier than 12 weeks.