What Would You Do

twodoggies2001

We have two minis, one 13 next month, and almost totally blind, which hasn't had an affect on his finding his way around the house and garden and is in failing health. the other boy is 3 in a couple of days who wants to play most of the time with our older boy, just as he used to when he was first brought into our family. I would prefer to have a slightly older pup say around 8 months or so as all the baby things have been attended to :) . OH would prefer a baby puppy. Should I start looking now, or should I wait until the inevitable? I also need to consider the 2 dog policy for the suburbs from the local council's ruling.

We have two minis, one 13 next month, and almost totally blind, which hasn't had an affect on his finding his way around the house and garden and is in failing health. the other boy is 3 in a couple of days who wants to play most of the time with our older boy, just as he used to when he was first brought into our family. I would prefer to have a slightly older pup say around 8 months or so as all the baby things have been attended to :) . OH would prefer a baby puppy. Should I start looking now, or should I wait until the inevitable? I also need to consider the 2 dog policy for the suburbs from the local council's ruling.

Sounds like your old boy is doing great, how I wish they lived longer lives our wonderful doggie companions. I was in a similiar situation about 2 years ago now. My old girl had a terminal disease and I knew we were going to lose her. My second dog was 3 at the time and had never lived alone so I opted to bring the new dog, who was 12months old, in before I lost my old girl so that my second dog was already bonded with the new dog. It all worked out really well and everyone coped beautifully. I just didn't register the new dog until after my old one had died ( about 6 months in time). Hope it all works out for you.

me? I would wait until your old boy leaves you. he deserves to enjoy his twilight years not being ambushed by a puppy -not tripping over new toys- not being confused with all the new action. :)

The younger dog can be kept busy with extra short training spurts during the day, perhaps- and being taught new tricks ?

edit to add.. if the old boy was sighted, I would get a puppy now . BUT because of his sight loss-, I worry that he will not be reading a pup's body language, and therefore not responding appropriately to same ... The dogs you have now know each other very well, and so they have routines etc and can cope just fine :(

I just think it is an added burden :)

Edited by persephone

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I feel I will start looking around now for an older pup. You never know when this pup will come up. It's not often that schnauzers are rehomed. I think my best bet is most likely through a breeder who has a pup that for showing and future breeding didn't come up to scratch, so to speak and the two youngsters need to be compatible. Oh what fun is ahead of me now :(