Dew Claws?

Vader's mum

Our boy has extra claws on his back feet I believe they are called dew claws? Anyway having a discussion with my fiance he wondered if we should get them removed or leave them as is, he isnt having any troubles so far so I fgure if it's not bothering him just leave them. I just wondered if there are drawbacks to leaving them and to taking them off?

Thanks in advance ;)

Rear dewclaws serve no noticeable useful function in most dogs, and are usually removed by breeders when puppies are tiny. You can get them removed when you have him castrated - that way there is only one anaesthetic needed ;)

Dewclaws can get hooked in things, and rip ... the nails always need trimming too, because they never touch teh ground to wear away .

Edited by persephone

Yep I usuallay take them off but because of what happened to Vadar I was paranoid about doing anything that might even remotely stress him and left them on. Its no big deal if you have them removed when he is desexed.

Julie Im not too worried about them jaron has never seen them before and was like they have to go, so I said I'd ask around about the pro's and con's. He is such a delight and a giant sook! You had nothing to be paranoid about Ive said it once I'll say it a 1000s times, everything happens for a reason and it wasnt vaders time to be with us.