Dog Shows And Spaying

RiverStar-Aura

I've been looking into showing dogs for a while now, but have recently decided that I don't have the time or dedication for it just yet. One question that's been bugging me though is why can't show dogs be desexed? I understand it's a show rule but I don't understand why. How would a judge know if a bitch has been desexed or not?

Also, can mixed breeds enter competitions or is showing just for pure bred dogs?

Desexed dogs on the main register can now be shown and work towards the title of neuter champion. Only a few shows offer the neuter class (class 18) but there should be more in the future. They do not compete against the entire dogs because the females have an advantage of not having two major coat drops a year like the entires do and with both sexes the temperament is usually calmer once they are desexed so it is not a level playing field. Dogs shows were devised to promote purebred dogs and compare breeding stock and it is only in the last few years that a dogs "performance" as a show dog has become as important than how it conforms to the breed standard. So they have decided to allow neuter to compete as well.

Show dogs are judged against a standard set out for their breed so there is no place for crossbreds at a dog show. How could they possibly be judged and what would be the point?

I had kinda firgured there was no place for mixed breeds in show. I guess I was just curious after seeing all sorts of cats/kittens (moggies) in shows. Then again, they are mostly shows like "prettiest eyes" etc ... hardly breed defining! :lol:

Thanks for explaining about the desexed vs. entire girls because I didn't even know about the 2 coat drops either. I'm still new to the whole "owning a dog" process and now I'm finally able to be owner and trainer I find there's a lot I don't know. :rofl:

I always thought the reason for showing was to find breeding stock to improve the breed. I only recently learnt that desexed animals can now be shown as well. I don't really see the point of showing desexed animals for looks (other than personal satisfaction that you have a 'pretty' dog), but showing for skills/work makes more sense.

I had kinda firgured there was no place for mixed breeds in show. I guess I was just curious after seeing all sorts of cats/kittens (moggies) in shows. Then again, they are mostly shows like "prettiest eyes" etc ... hardly breed defining! :lol:

They can do other things though (at least, they can over here - presume they can in Aussie). Obedience, agility, flyball, endurance test, working trials, etc. :rofl:

They can do other things though (at least, they can over here - presume they can in Aussie). Obedience, agility, flyball, endurance test, working trials, etc. :rofl:

That is what I was going to suggest too. Cross bred dogs can compete in those sports which are all great to do, we don't have working trials though. You usually get involved with these sports by starting at an obedience club. You could always look up Dogs NSW if you don't know of any clubs in your area.

I always thought the reason for showing was to find breeding stock to improve the breed. I only recently learnt that desexed animals can now be shown as well. I don't really see the point of showing desexed animals for looks (other than personal satisfaction that you have a 'pretty' dog), but showing for skills/work makes more sense.

Desexed cats have always been allowed to be shown & I am pleased it is now permitted for dogs & hope it gains popularity.

Showing is for many reasons, to promote the breed to the public, let them see the breed, ask questions etc.

If it was only to find stock I would be glaring suspiciously at anyone who even looked my way :rofl:

Good point fuzzy, but what we should keep in mind is that many bitches that are now being shown as neuters have already had a litter/litters and may have their progeny out there showing or breeding.

Perhaps these bitches were required to be desexed for health reasons, but there still could be plenty of other breed enthusiasts that may wish to see how the great grand mother of their next pup fairs at an older age or similar reasons. Or she may be a sister, auntie of a line that a prospective puppy buyer is looking at venturing into. There are many valid reasons why people would show neutered bitches and similarly, dogs for that matter. Longevity is another good reason.

Just because a dog or bitch is neutered he/she is likely not to be the end of that particular line.

Having said the above, I also do not see anything wrong with showing enthusiasts still wishing to continue showing, but their dog has been desexed. Some of these dogs love showing too. I think it is lovely getting them out there still if that is what owners/breeders want to do.

And added to a previous post that mentioned neuters and entires not being shown together as they not on equal playing field, yes that is absolutely correct. And as well as those reasons given such as coat etc giving an unfair advantage to neuters, in my opinion in many breeds including mine, the neuters are disadvantaged quite dramatically as they will have lost all their hormonal based muscle tone in all areas including their head and the presence that hormones give. A neutered Rottweiler will never look as good in the show ring as an entire, of equivalent quality. So there are advantages and disadvantages of showing neutered dogs.

Neuters and entires are shown sepately and that is how it should be IMO.

Edited by dyzney

The neuter animals are still the offspring of breeding stock, so getting more of the offspring into the ring lets you get a better picture of what the lines are producing. Also as has been pointed out some have been used for breeding but had to be desexed for health reasons before completing their title. Why should they not still be shown? Others are already titled but again had to be desexed and their show career would have otherwise ended.

BTW, you don't need to make dog showing a "career". I do it for fun, on a casual basis, when I have time. I am certainly not dedicated or obsessed, but the days we do show I thoroughly enjoy it, the days we don't we do other fun things with the dogs.

I would probably attend maybe 4-6 shows a year, that's enough for me. I catch up with people I've gotten to know, see all the gorgeous dogs looking their best, get to show off my dogs looking spiffy, and have a good day out.

dancinbcs said it....

in the horse world (and yes it is a different world) the bigger more important studs like to have lots of geldings (speyed males) out there with there prefix as it is seen as free advertising and promoting the breed. most showing horse owners want the non hormonal gelding over mares.... colts and stallions are discouraged.....

seems a bit different in the doggie world. if the speyed off spring could be out there and shown it might increase numbers and there fore interest in the joe public....

I'm sure you'll find there are speyed bitches showing in the veterans class . . . and people not bothering to report they've been speyed. It's almost impossible to tell.

Not true at all spay coats affect many breeds & are very easy to pick out

because you can still see if the bloodlines are throwing good stock.

Just because a dog is neutered does not mean his parents, brothers & sisters, aunts and uncles are too. If I saw a neutered dog that just blew me away, it would be pretty simple to research the lines that produced him. It would be very unlikely that a neutered dog in the ring was the last of his lines.

We live in a changing world. where people dont have the time or abilities to handle entire animals. I think its about bloody time the dog world caught up with the cats & horses in allowing neuters to compete in the show ring. It might encourage more people to take part, knowing they dont have to endure seasons or randy boys.

Just because a dog is neutered does not mean his parents, brothers & sisters, aunts and uncles are too. If I saw a neutered dog that just blew me away, it would be pretty simple to research the lines that produced him. It would be very unlikely that a neutered dog in the ring was the last of his lines.

We live in a changing world. where people dont have the time or abilities to handle entire animals. I think its about bloody time the dog world caught up with the cats & horses in allowing neuters to compete in the show ring. It might encourage more people to take part, knowing they dont have to endure seasons or randy boys.

;)

Assuming showing is about the selection of breeding stock (even though there's precious few judges out there I'd be asking to select breeding stock for me thanks all the same!) surely the production of high quality dogs is the ultimate proof of a dog or bitch's worth as a breeding animal. If you like the dog, go to it's sire.

BIS at Crufts has been won by a spayed bitch.

Edited by Sandra777

What breed was the crufts BIS bitch?

In the UK we can show neutered dogs alongside entires (so long as it is reported to the kennel club), however, the males are still at a disadvantage as the breed standards do call for 2 fully decended testicles.

Just because a dog is entire when shown, doesn't mean it will ever be bred from anyway, some people just like to have a dog to show and don't want to get into the breeding side.