Maiden Dog Mating Problem

yap

help with maiden mating  

5 members have voted

1. 1. maiden dog mating

• help with maiden dog mating

Could anyone give me some advice on a maiden dog mating, The Bitch is maiden also, she is 10th day on now & really want this mating. The problem is the dog is doing everything right but his penis is not out. The bitch is willing. any right advice is appreciated. :mad

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get her progesterone tested to see if she is ready. She may not be anywhere near ready yet. I have known of successful matings as late as day 26. Novice stud dogs will often jump all over a bitch long before they are actually ready to mate. The more experienced tend to not waste energy until they know the bitch is spot on.

Once you know she is ready from a progesterone test and if the dog is still not getting it right, get an AI done to take the pressure off everyone. Often a novice dog will work out how to mate a bitch within a couple of hours of having an AI done.

And what breed? Some breeds require more assistance than others.

I can't visualise a lot from what you've said here, but I would think that if the dog were TRULY willing, if there is no anatomical issue with his genitalia, then he'd not be having a problem.

Do you ever notice his penis extending from the sheath when he's cleaning himself or just "hanging around"?

Have you been charting her blood progesterone levels ? she may not actually be ready for mating.

If you are not experienced, I definitley advise having a mentor or exp breeder there to assist.

fifi

edit, dancinBC has it covered ! :-)

Edited by fifi

perhaps contact whichever breeder is your mentor - the one from whom you got your bitch/dog, and ask them? What age are the dogs?

No thats not the problem, my mum reg. Breeder & I,m now joining her but I just need some outside help at the moment on maidens I havnt got time for answers not related.

B-4, D-2. i can't contact my mum right now thats why I,m asking for help

Edited by joined@theheart

Not saying it's a universal truth, but the stud dogs I've had don't "have their penis out" to the extent that anyone would actually notice. They mount, trust and if they've got it right, enter and tie.

Even novice dogs I've had experience with don't have their penis out of the sheath even when making multiple attempts to get their positoning right (at which point I frequently offer them a map and a compass)

They don't tend to get their gear out and wave it about so to speak :mad

I'm assuming you aren't experienced? If so is there someone local with experience who could come around and have a look at what's going on (or not), or perhaps give you the number of a local studmaster?

Edited by Sandra777

So just to clarify, has the bitch been prog tested ?

If she is standing for him, have you tried stimulating the dog with them both on lead, and assisting him to enter the bitch ?

Some novice dogs need a bit of a kick start.

fifi

And what breed? Some breeds require more assistance than others.

I can't visualise a lot from what you've said here, but I would think that if the dog were TRULY willing, if there is no anatomical issue with his genitalia, then he'd not be having a problem.

Do you ever notice his penis extending from the sheath when he's cleaning himself or just "hanging around"?

I havn't seen his penis extending yet. they are both whinging & ready, or maybe just a tad too early for her. he is mounting her all time. I have rested him also. Should you fead them before a mating?

So just to clarify, has the bitch been prog tested ?

If she is standing for him, have you tried stimulating the dog with them both on lead, and assisting him to enter the bitch ?

Some novice dogs need a bit of a kick start.

fifi

Does it help really to stimulate him myself? & yes I have given praise & guidance

I wouldn't feed them just prior to mating. And I'd probably seperate them for a few hours and try again when they are fresh.

Will he let you guide him in when he mounts ? sometimes it just takes a helping hand to get the boys in.

fifi

Does sound like you could use a bit of help, one person matings are not easy if things aren't happening by themselves.

Edited by fifi

Not saying it's a universal truth, but the stud dogs I've had don't "have their penis out" to the extent that anyone would actually notice. They mount, trust and if they've got it right, enter and tie.

Even novice dogs I've had experience with don't have their penis out of the sheath even when making multiple attempts to get their positoning right (at which point I frequently offer them a map and a compass)

I'm assuming you aren't experienced? If so is there someone local with experience who could come around and have a look at what's going on (or not), or perhaps give you the number of a local studmaster?

Did try last year with different dog he had his penis out

I havn't seen his penis extending yet. they are both whinging & ready, or maybe just a tad too early for her. he is mounting her all time. I have rested him also. Should you fead them before a mating?

As Sandra said, he won't drop it out and wave it around. What I'm getting at is whether or not he has EVER extended it or whether there might be an issue with the opening?

As far as the breeding is concerned, I'm more wondering if the bitch is actually ready and the dog is TRULY excited and ready to go. If a bitch is bang on, then if the dog is interested, nothing would stop him.

I wouldn't feed them just prior to mating. And I'd probably seperate them for a few hours and try again when they are fresh.

Will he let you guide him in when he mounts ? sometimes it just takes a helping hand to get the boys in.

fifi

Yes i am resting them till late this sarvo & try again. I don't have help at the moment. I have tried putting the bitch over my legs/knees to keep her still & stimulate him, He looked like he was getting the idea after that & I think he "touched" the spot but didnt hit. I have tried guiding him also. Maybe i need to guide more.

Are you absolutely positive she's ready? Is she an experienced bitch?

Sometimes a maiden dog needs more than one helper. Somebody to control the bitch and another person to guide and help the dog.

I know that when I've assisted breedings with a maiden dog, they can be a bit precious when the end of their penis makes contact and keep on touching and then jumping back, so a dedicated handler who can guide him with one hand and then help him "home" with a well-applied hand on the rump and then an assist to balance whilst he learns how to thrust can be very useful.

As Sandra said, he won't drop it out and wave it around. What I'm getting at is whether or not he has EVER extended it or whether there might be an issue with the opening?

As far as the breeding is concerned, I'm more wondering if the bitch is actually ready and the dog is TRULY excited and ready to go. If a bitch is bang on, then if the dog is interested, nothing would stop him. tes I know that thank you for your help, I might have a look at his opening, They both are eager but its their ist time ever truly this far of the mating. I pulled out of the last mating with another dog last yr as he was too rough. My boy is a gentleman. They are Border collies from gnd Ch lines

they are sleeping at the moment I,m glad. I have been going crazy as the wanting for each other gets stronger. They are separated at night. Edited by joined@theheart

fifi

Does sound like you could use a bit of help, one person matings are not easy if things aren't happening by themselves. Tell me about it. they are asleep at the moment I will check him later & try again late sarvo. Do they mate better late arvo early morn?

I'm assuming you aren't experienced? If so is there someone local with experience who could come around and have a look at what's going on (or not), or perhaps give you the number of a local studmaster? That wouldn't be a good idea, our two experinced boys are 4hrs from me. I just mite have to race there if this doesnt get under way in the next few days

Have you been charting her blood progesterone levels ? she may not actually be ready for mating.

If you are not experienced, I definitley advise having a mentor or exp breeder there to assist.

fifi

edit, dancinBC has it covered ! :-) Yes i have been monitoring her every day, I think she,s not quite ready myself but theyt sure seem to think so. I will monitor more closely & keep separated longer until i can see she is really ready & they hopefully will get it.

Just my opinion. (Did not see what breed of dogs or their ages so this is a general opinion).

10 days my not be ready just yet. Some bitches can get very randy and not be right on the mark ready yet.

Some males will only breed them when they are right on the mark. Nothing wrong with this and in fact is good to have as you can be sure the bitch really was ready with this type of dog.

So I would just leave them alone, stop fussing over them and just let them play and be together. Fussing over them and trying to help will usually make it take longer. I am always careful with a male dogs first time to not stress him out.

Also a male that is nice to the bitches, takes their time, at least offers a date and dinner first, those are the best stud dogs to have. They can often mate bitches that no other dog can get near. Just something to think about.

I do not usually see a males dogs penis prior to him mating the bitch, when they mount they will bring it out when they are ready to use it...LOL Dogs will often mount and play around many times prior to actually breeding. The younger and more inexperienced they are, the more they will play at it. Give them time. They will figure it out.

Edited by shortstep