Puppy With Suspected Parvo - Only Had Him 7 Days!

erikajayne

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2102&aid=727

Coccidia - looks very unpleasant. Incubation is 13 days so if that's what it is, then the breeder is responsible. She should have warned you, especially if the puppy had tummy upset before she handed him over. Stress (eg rehoming) aggravates the problem.

I don't think abuse of a customer is acceptable either. If you wanted to do something about it, consider having a discussion with the breeder association about what to do next.

I'm not sure she should be liable for costs if you didn't give her the opportunity to supply you with treatment for the puppy, but all the same - I would have done what you did and gone to the vet.

When my puppy was unwell I brought some chicken breast and cooked it with some diced pumpkin in some water and a little salt reduced chicken stock. I then mashed up the pumpkin and flaked up the chicken and served it up while it was still slightly warm.

Hope he is feeling better soon...

Edited by Tilly

Was he eating at the vets before they sent him home? What was the vet feeding? Is he drinking OK?

Get on the phone to the breeder and find out the best way to help pup recover, breeders have usually nursed heaps of weak and sick pups and know how to get them back to health so she will be able to help you (even though she had a hissy fit I would still ask for help).

My game plan for recovering puppy with sensative belly:

1. Soup (plain chicken frame boiled in water, remove frame and fat feed to dog). Tilly's recipe also sounds good the pumpkin is great for diarrhea (I would make sure stock is very weak though - some chicken stock contains heaps of junk like MSG etc).

2. Boiled lean chicken and rice (remove fat) feed a spoonfull wait an hour and then feed a tiny bit more if he eats or get a can of Hills Prescription i/d from your vet to try him on (easily digestible and the turkey protein seems to agree with most dogs). It's expensive but great for sensative bellies.

With all meals keep really small and feed 6 times daily if needed then increase amount of food slowly and decrease the amount of meals very very gradually. Don't introduce any new food until the system is stable for 3-5 days (everything is going in and out the right way).

If my boy refuses sardines I know he is sick (sardines are his favourite). If he is refusing food that he was eating before I'd call the vet.

Good luck.

Edited by Rottigirl

Hi Rottiegirl - sorry I didnt get back to you.

He wasnt eating at the vets but otherwise was fine and due to finances we werent able to keep him in any longer. he seems OK in himself he will play for about 2 mins and then sleep (obviosuly as he has had no food!) drinking is normal

We tried to feed him some chicken and rice last night and wasnt interested, we also tried yogurt,cottage cheese, plain biscuits and some cooked mince - nothing. This morning I opened the fridge and he was sniffing to the mince so he had about a tablespoon of that and he kept it down which was great. I am going to try the soup suggestion tonight!

Weigh your puppy daily, they can drop weight so quick & you may not realise.

Hop on the bathroom scales & weigh yourself, then again with puppy in your arms. Write it down daily to keep track.

Dehydration is bad, check he drinks plenty.

Try warming food first, makes it smell more appealing & tempting.

Much longer this way I would phone the vet & if he needs to go in again ask if you can arrange payments.

I would not ask the breeder this needs the vet if it continues.

Contact the breeder...Tell them whats happened and were your at.

Vets l find really dont know much about puppys and there problems breeders have hands on so do know better at times.

Alot of vets just clock up bills...And you say you cant afford the costs so please call the breeder

Your breeder could have had a certain tone with you as alot of people just DONT listen.

Thus causeing problems with pups.Good luck with him but i would be calling the breeder :)

Vets l find really dont know much about puppys and there problems

And whilst I agree that good breeders do have experience in many aspects of puppy health , things like parvo/coccidia infections/coronavirus are NOT things they can adequately handle without veterinary intervention.

A new pup owner , a breeder some distance away ... the Vet is the best person to see.

This poor pup probably should still be in Hospital , but as finances are tight, the owners are trying their hardest to cope at home :)

Not a good situation for anyone, really.

Hope Carter has improved today.

I was strolling around the internet, as I do, and I found a good summary for checking a dog's vital signs. Because you are a newbie at puppy parenting I thought I'd post

http://www.dogsvictoria.org.au/cdc/CDC-08-Newsletter4.pdf

First signs of d and v together and especially with lack of appetite, or any nasties in vitals and he needs to go back to the vet, unfortunately puppies are costly when they are sick. Pet insurance is good to minimise vet costs.

Edited by Rottigirl

Vets l find really dont know much about puppys and there problems

And whilst I agree that good breeders do have experience in many aspects of puppy health , things like parvo/coccidia infections/coronavirus are NOT things they can adequately handle without veterinary intervention.

A new pup owner , a breeder some distance away ... the Vet is the best person to see.

This poor pup probably should still be in Hospital , but as finances are tight, the owners are trying their hardest to cope at home :)

Not a good situation for anyone, really.

A good vet is worth their weight in gold. They spend about 5 years training so are not stupid or ignorant on puppy health problems, dogs & cats are the majority of their clients.

Behaviour problems are another issue. There are trainers & breeders for this.

While some are not very good at their job there is always another one to ask for a 2nd opinion if you are not satisfied with treatment or care.

Breeders have experience but are not medically trained & can't do diagnostic tests or prescribe medication.

Breeders opinions & knowledge are variable too.

You don't have time to mess about or dither with a young sick puppy that is not eating. They can go down fast.

Contact a vet if things do not improve.

Some one on this forum will be able to point in the direction of a good vet in your area if needed.

Wishing your little one all the best and hope he starts eating properly soon. It's a horrible feeling when you can't get them to eat. It is good he is drinking though. I have two parvo survivors here.

What about that parvaid stuff? I have never used it but I have heard of it. Does anyone know if that'll help any??

Crossing my fingers for you all. :)

Have you checked to make sure he is hydrated?

Lift the skin on the back of his neck, does it retract quickly or stayed raised?

He is drinking alot, or a little???

When I bought Luki (with parvo) home I gave him gastrolyte in with his water.

Gastrolyte helps keep up the electrolytes and helps to prevent dehrydration. It should also increase his energy levels.

You can buy it in iceblock (or powder) form, maybe he will lick it???

(I think I used to syringe it into Lukis mouth too) but if your little one is drinking readily it may be worth a try putting some into his water???

I remember the first thing Luki ate after not eating for several days was a fried steak, cut into tiny squares. I took it to the surgery and the vet said it was ok to give it to him. He ate a little during the night and the rest in the morning, so I had to take more to him. (I recall the vet telling me to bring some more down as he was loving it)

Do you have any nutrigel - or can you get some?

Hi Guys, Carter is drinking fine and he has started eating - picking at bits and pieces of meat every few hours and he will go and help himself rather than us having to be there and feeding him. He still has a bit of diarohea, although all out toilet training seems to have gone out the window as he is just going anywhere! He is playng lots with a new toy I made him (small coke bottle with uncooked rice) he seems to love the noise. Still petrified he will go downhillo again, but he seems OK in himself. BTW I live in western sydney/hills district - any idea for good vets?

Glad he is feeling better :) and even playing ...but remember the lining of his gut will be raw and painful- so while he appears happy..inside he is still sick. I second the well cooked mashed pumpkin mixed with his meat ... and remember to not leaqve food sitting out of the fridge :D he does not need any more nasty bacteria in his gut!

Hopefully you are giving him some probiotic- any acidopholus powder/capsule for humans will do .. this will help his gut digest food easily :wave: