How Many People Here Brush Their Dogs Teeth?

jazawayaya

Of all my pets I have one dog and one cat that have to have their teeth brushed. For some reason they have gingivitis regardless of how many bones I give them. All the others are fine.

My vet suggests that it is the differeing bacteria in the mouth.

Mine are fed a raw diet, bones every day, but both have gingivitis, and plaque gathers on the gumline of their canines if I don't wipe every day.

They also get large chunks of meat to chew on - ox heart, ox tongue, 500g lums of stewing steak, they are both very good chewers, but I still need to wipe daily to avoid plaque build up..

Yea Charlie has gingtivitus (red/bleeding gums arount tooth line?) occasionally. They are always red, only bleed when irritated, we feed raw as well.

I wipe his teeth of plaque every few days but dont know how to get rid of the inflammation,

Thanks

Jacqui

Yea Charlie has gingtivitus (red/bleeding gums arount tooth line?) occasionally. They are always red, only bleed when irritated, we feed raw as well.

I wipe his teeth of plaque every few days but dont know how to get rid of the inflammation,

Thanks

Jacqui

Has she had a proper dental? I don't like sticking my pets under anaesthetic unnecessarily, but sometimes if tartar has already built up, I think it's better to get a dental done & then it's much easier to start from scratch to keep the teeth properly clean. Needs to be under a GA to get under the gumline, since this is what is causing the gingivitis.

I think it has a lot to do with the shape of their mouths and the tightness of their gums. Greyhounds and iggies are bad for plaque build up because they are a breed that has very tight lips.. the bacteria gets held to their teeth and the way their teeth are positioned means that even chewing bones wont chip it off!

I have an 11 year old cattle dog X who has been given bones several times a week for her entire life and she has lovely shiny teeth :welcome:. However after reading this thread I took a peek in her mouth out of curiosity and found a few funny looking lumpy bumps along her gumline! Wonder what that could be :/ We were going to the vets for her cartrophen injection tomorrow anyway so I will have him take a look.. I hope it's nothing serious! I wish I'd looked in her mouth sooner :confused:.

Bones generally do the maintenance cleaning adequately for us.

However, I always train my dogs from a young to accept me fiddling around in and inpecting their mouth. So from time to time if there is a small build up of plaque, I will scale them myself. I have never had to had a dog anaesthetised for a teeth scaling. They will lay there quietly whilst I do it.

One of my bitches recently had to 3 upper molars removed from one side as they were broken beneath the gums, trauma. So now the opposing lower teeth get a bit of build up every few weeks as she doesn't chew much on that side. I scale them when need be.

I inspect them all regular - every couple of days.

Edited by dyzney