Worried About What To Do With My Woofer Over Xmas

Lucy's mama

I'd really like to visit my sister for christmas. She has been living a 2day drive away, but is moving to just 4 hours away just before Christmas. Her partner doesn't want any dogs staying at their new place. I'm just not sure what I want to do with Banjo while we are away. In the past our dogs have stayed home with family or friends staying and looking after them, but always they do things their way, which has been fine with our other dogs, but I feel Banjo needs consistancy and routine, and the people who usually look after our dogs are not very good with him.

I could put him in a local boarding kennel for a full week if I can find one I trust. I saw a dog in a boarding kennel be fitted with a bark collar without the owners knowledge though, and it got zapped when neighbouring dogs barked, and I'd hate that to happen to Banj.

I could stay at a dog friendly camp ground on the ocean front about an hours drive from my sister's place and put him in a boarding kennel somewhere near there from Christmas eve till boxing day, just so I can spend Christmas day and overnight at my sisters. But I wouldn't be able to check the place out before booking in.

What to do, what to do???? I need to make a decision soon so I can book before everything is all booked out.

Edited by Lucy's mama

I'd really like to visit my sister for christmas. She has been living a 2day drive away, but is moving to just 4 hours away just before Christmas. Her partner doesn't want any dogs staying at their new place. I'm just not sure what I want to do with Banjo while we are away. In the past our dogs have stayed home with family or friends staying and looking after them, but always they do things their way, which has been fine with our other dogs, but I feel Banjo needs consistancy and routine, and the people who usually look after our dogs are not very good with him.

I could put him in a local boarding kennel for a full week if I can find one I trust. I saw a dog in a boarding kennel be fitted with a bark collar without the owners knowledge though, and it got zapped when neighbouring dogs barked, and I'd hate that to happen to Banj.

I could stay at a dog friendly camp ground on the ocean front about an hours drive from my sister's place and put him in a boarding kennel somewhere near there from Christmas eve till boxing day, just so I can spend Christmas day and overnight at my sisters. But I wouldn't be able to check the place out before booking in.

What to do, what to do???? I need to make a decision soon so I can book before everything is all booked out.

Where about are you in QLD?

It's always a hard decision the first time you may need to board your dog.

No one can really tell you what to do it has to be your decision to make. All I can say is do your homework and find a kennel that gives you what you are looking for. There are very reputable boarding kennels out there and i am sure there are really good ones in QLD.

Have you done a google search?

If you know others that have boarded their dogs over xmas maybe they can recommend somewhere. I would suggest finding a kennel near where you live that way you can thoroughly check them out before making your decision. I personally would not leave my dogs anywhere where I cannot go and have a look. Have a list of questions ready to ask face to face with the kennel employees and for over the phone. All reputable kennels will allow you to visit and check them out prior to making a decision.

good luck

i am sure you will find somewhere.

:confused:

We are in Caboolture. Do you have any recomendations?

No I don't I just thought if you were near TWBA I could have look after him (well depending of how he is with children & dogs).

That's very kind Baxter. He is not good with children, (he tries to play rough) getting better all the time, but that is as much training my kids as it is training him. So I don't want to leave him anywhere with kids. He is good with dogs, but I think it's possible he'd be too rough, although he does leave quiet dogs alone, he will chase anything that runs away.! That is why I don't just want to leave him with friends like we did Lucy.

Edited by Lucy's mama

Can you post the location of the dog friendly camping ground in your thread title, eg looking for recommendations for a boarding kennel Rainbow Beach area??

That might help a bit more, I think you would be happier just boarding him for the 2 days, it sounds like :confused:

I suppose I could always go for a weekend trip to check out something near where we are staying - good excuse for a weekend away!

A couple I know who own a tibbie boy have come from northern NSW to Qld's Sunshine Coast annually, to visit the wife's mum who lives in a unit (dogs are not allowed to stay at those units). They have a routine where the tib boy is booked into a good kennels on the Sunshine Coast. With the kennels' cooperation, they use the kennels like a motel for him.

The tib is dropped at the kennels in the late afternoon with his own blankie & toys, and has his dinner there.

He sleeps at the kennels overnight, & has breakfast next morning. Then his family picks him up & he spends the day out and about with them, he can visit at the unit, go to the beach, on drives, shopping, whatever. Then late afternoon he goes back to sleep overnight at the kennels.

His family pays the usual full price for kennelling. Apparently, it's not unusual for some kennels to cater for dogs on holiday like that.

So I'd follow up what you've said. See if you can find a kennels in the area where you're staying, which would be happy to do a routine like this.