Food Intolerance ?

cj-b

I was wondering if a dog had a food intolerance, would it throw up after every time it eats a certain meal? Or could it be only every now and then?

My dog ever since I changed his kibble over, has had periods where he will throw up about 4-7 times in a row. But then he will be fine for a week or more, than sick again. It has happened 3-4 times now, but only ever since I changed him onto Nutro Puppy Chix and Rice.

I'm not sure if it would be the kibble, but what do you think?

I should also add, he is fed, Natures Gift, chix necks. But he has only ever been sick after the kibble, and the substance is either whole bits of kibble or a grainy kibble slop, ewww. And about 2 weeks ago, he had a severe ear infection, that was cleared up with drops, but could it also be an indication the food doesn't agree with him. He looks great on Nutro, but just not sure if vomitting and ear infection is saying something.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by cj-b

I have two girls who can only eat certain brands... they both vomit on certain ones. Maybe the Nutro doesn't sit well in his belly????

Do they vomit after EVERY time they eat the other brands or just occassionally? As a guess, because I really have no idea, I would have thought it if it's was the food that it would happen everytime after eating, not just occassionally. That's why I'm interested to know if your guys vomit everytime or just occacssionally as well. Because if it is only occassionally, I think you might be right, it probably is the kibble, but I want to make sure it's the Nutro before I change him, as it's the first kibble that he likes, and we have tried a few.

I recently have changed my dog to Nutro after good reviews from fellow DOLER'S and it DOESN'T agree with him at all vomiting and not nice poop results.

Oh this isn't good, I guess you'll be changing back.

I should add, that my boy has always had really good poops, hahaha that sounds so funny. But seriously, his stools have been firm on Nutro, it's just the vomitting. I'm confused.

You really are not going to know unless you do some sort of elimination diet.

I did my own one on Harry, and found its chicken & wheat that upsets him. His just comes out slushy the other end, he isnt a big vomiter.

We get the same here - plus bottom scooting

I recently have changed my dog to Nutro after good reviews from fellow DOLER'S and it DOESN'T agree with him at all vomiting and not nice poop results.

should also add we had bottom scooting as well.

I have gone back to my previous food - i had no issues at all , no vomiting , beautiful firm stools, no bottom scooting, I thought i was doing a good thing by buying Aust made but i dont agree with him at all.

Serenity will vomit every single time she ingests the food she has the intolerance for. Paige however is intermittent, she will either vomit, get the runs or become a monster to do anything with (doesn't want to do anything, gets stroppy), the vet believes that these foods give her stomach pains and thats why she gets funny - she is the nicest dog ever if she's left on the food she can handle.

Serenity will vomit every single time she ingests the food she has the intolerance for. Paige however is intermittent, she will either vomit, get the runs or become a monster to do anything with (doesn't want to do anything, gets stroppy), the vet believes that these foods give her stomach pains and thats why she gets funny - she is the nicest dog ever if she's left on the food she can handle.

Thank you. I think my dog sounds similiar to Paige. When he does the occassional vomit, he is very down. So it might be causing him discomfort. But then, he will be completely normal somedays. Strange boy he is ;)

I think I might look into changing his kibble. I did look into Optimum Puppy Chix and Rice, but it looks sooo similiar to the Nutro, I think it may cause the same problems.

Does anyone know of a kibble for puppies that isn't based on Chix. I know Canidae do an All life stage Salmon, is there any others?

Some foods jsut don't agree with some dogs - unfortuantely it doesn't necessarily have much to do with the price or quality of the food. If the dog isn't doing well (loss of condition, vomiting, bad poos, etc etc) then look at something else or go back to what did suit the dog. Also a change in formula of the food can cause issues as well as if the product is tainted/off/etc - just in case it is somethign the dog has been on for a period of time and recently a change for the worse had occured etc.

Some foods jsut don't agree with some dogs - unfortuantely it doesn't necessarily have much to do with the price or quality of the food. If the dog isn't doing well (loss of condition, vomiting, bad poos, etc etc) then look at something else or go back to what did suit the dog. Also a change in formula of the food can cause issues as well as if the product is tainted/off/etc - just in case it is somethign the dog has been on for a period of time and recently a change for the worse had occured etc.

I agree, I'm hoping the vomitting is unrelated to the nutro and he can stay on it, because for the first time since we got him, his skin is looking so much better. I will give it another couple of weeks and see how he goes.

Thankyou to all who have helped.