Rare Special Needs Breeds In Pet Shops

SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are still 2 pups in the window. And I overheard a lady say just that!! "Oh! He looks like a white, very fluffy golden retriever!" I felt like saying, are you kidding me?? They also have Siamese kittens at the moment. I could steal them too!!

All the small fluffy breeds & poodle crosses :cry: have specific grooming needs.

They are the ones ( the lucky ones ) that end up at the groomers matted to the skin because they were not told to brush them

ears clogged up & infected because they don't know about plucking & cleaning, dew claws embedded in the skin, because they weren't removed or advised they were there & need a trim.

All disasters waiting to happen.

They are a business, they don't give pups away to rescue groups they just want their $,s.

Good luck. Maybe go & advise them of the issues. They may pay attention by some 1000 to 1 chance.

i bought my cavalier x poodle (vet told me she can not see any poodle in her at all) from a pet shop (i have since been educated in regards to why this was the wrong thing to do) and i was not given much information in regards to grooming, BUT, when i got home and got her to sleep that night i got on the internet and looked up as much information that i could, brought the required combs and comb her every second, day, i have booked her into a groomer that i use for my cat, and she has her first appointment in 4 weeks,

i have bought books on how to care for cavaliers, bathing, grooming, training, ect

i understand that some people fail to treat their pets with respect but not all do, people need to realise that it is their responsibility to care for the puppy and to find as much information as possible, i have found many sites very helpful, including this one, found many books helpful, as well as talking to people who own such breeds

No i did not get any information but it did not stop me from finding it out myself

mollie is so spoilt and is well groomed and well loved

If your Vet doesn't see poodle in you little girl you may be blessed with a dog that has thrown to her Cavalier ancestory and may have a coat that is easier to manage than most Cavaleir X Poodles are. Although bear in mind that when you have her desexed often the Cavalier coat becomes heavier in the neuter and you may then need the help of a professional to teach you to manage it.

many people have said lately that you can not see any poodle in her, one even asked me was i sure she was a cross and she could have sworn she was full breed cavalier and that i was very lucky to get a cavalier from the pet shop for $500, ( i have now been educated through this site as to why i should not have done this)

i have read about when cavs get desexed that their coat often becomes heavier and that regular grooming is esential, and i already have her booked in in 2 weeks for her first visit to the groomers, it is one we use regularly for my cat and mollie will also go regularly

I now avoid shopping at Marion shopping Centre due to the pet shop there, I even wrote a letter to the centre management telling them they would not have my custom whilst they had puppies in the pet shop, I am quite sure they would have thought I was a crazy dog lady and not been at all worried about one less customer but surely if more people shared the same sentiment they may take note :D

The final straw was one day I was walking past the shop and in the front window they had a litter of Red Kelpie pups but had labelled them as minature Kelpies ;) When I questioned the sour faced woman behind the counter she told me that they were very rare and the colour was most unusual and they only needed low to moderate exercise unlike"giant" Kelpies ;) :o

I now avoid shopping at Marion shopping Centre due to the pet shop there, I even wrote a letter to the centre management telling them they would not have my custom whilst they had puppies in the pet shop, I am quite sure they would have thought I was a crazy dog lady and not been at all worried about one less customer but surely if more people shared the same sentiment they may take note ;)

The final straw was one day I was walking past the shop and in the front window they had a litter of Red Kelpie pups but had labelled them as minature Kelpies ;) When I questioned the sour faced woman behind the counter she told me that they were very rare and the colour was most unusual and they only needed low to moderate exercise unlike"giant" Kelpies :o:)

OMG. :rofl:

Though, I was down at Marion last Thursday and there were no puppies or kittens in any of the glass cages (@ Pet's Paradise). Don't know what's going on there, hopefully it's closing down :D

I now avoid shopping at Marion shopping Centre due to the pet shop there, I even wrote a letter to the centre management telling them they would not have my custom whilst they had puppies in the pet shop, I am quite sure they would have thought I was a crazy dog lady and not been at all worried about one less customer but surely if more people shared the same sentiment they may take note :D

The final straw was one day I was walking past the shop and in the front window they had a litter of Red Kelpie pups but had labelled them as minature Kelpies ;) When I questioned the sour faced woman behind the counter she told me that they were very rare and the colour was most unusual and they only needed low to moderate exercise unlike"giant" Kelpies :o:)

Someone I know bought a CKCS cross from a local pet shop. He was told the dog wouldn't grow any taller. It was 8 weeks old. ;)

The final straw was one day I was walking past the shop and in the front window they had a litter of Red Kelpie pups but had labelled them as minature Kelpies ;) When I questioned the sour faced woman behind the counter she told me that they were very rare and the colour was most unusual and they only needed low to moderate exercise unlike"giant" Kelpies ;) :o

Yep Kelpies are meant to be huge!

Bloody idiots.

Red Kelpies rare my a$%e!

Poor dogs will end up going absoluetly crazy in someones backyard until they destroy it them off to the pound they will go.

I know of someone who had a chocolate coloured Kelpie X,X,X Bitch, largish Kelpie sized. Got mated to god knows what. She gave away some of the puppies. The ones that were left were chocolate and black. She sold them to a petshop as Lab X's as she could get more money for them than is she had sold that as multi crosses. Yep she cared about her puppies and where they ended up and no money wasn't a motivator at all.

they wont listen they're only interested in the money. I can tell you the trouble we all went through with the dutchie pups and they still ended up in the arms of completely wrong owners DESPITE the pet chain knowing what they're like and getting a LOT of professional advice.

Bugger, really? That's going to end in tears. :thumbsup:

I cant find the post that I read before in this thread but it said something like "PP doesnt care about the consequences for the pup" .

Well thank you, because in your words lies the answer to the problem.

Next time anyone tries to get a government to ban the sale of cats and dogs in pet shops, CHANGE TACK!

Instead of asking for a ban, ask governments to make legislation that makes all pets shops give a Ten Year Warranty on all pups and kittens sold.

This will bring insurance companies to the door of pet shops, wanting to sell them specific packages of warranties.

Nominated vet clinics will be named in such warranties and so they have a ten years or assured business. You wont be able to get pre-paid treatment at any old vet clinic, just the ones who are linked to the insurance company.

Of course the prices of pets that are sold in pet shops with 10 year warranties will probably double overnight.

Sorry about that.

There is nothing like a major price hike to put people off buying something.

Trade Practices Act should have no problem with any of this. It is no different to buying a car or a computer with an extended warranty, that you, the purchaser pay for when you buy the goods.

Don't know why I never thought of this before. Pet shops will always sell pets in pet shops. That is how they make their money.

Well, it is probably time to up the stakes for them and make pet shop puppies a whole lot more expensive to buy because they come with a warranty, and make insurance companies a whole lot richer too.

If they are not selling as quickly, they wont need to be produced in such numbers by the puppy farmers and the puppy farmers might just have to find something else to do to make a buck.

Souff

I cant find the post that I read before in this thread but it said something like "PP doesnt care about the consequences for the pup" .

Next time anyone tries to get a government to ban the sale of cats and dogs in pet shops, CHANGE TACK!

Instead of asking for a ban, ask governments to make legislation that makes all pets shops give a Ten Year Warranty on all pups and kittens sold.

This will bring insurance companies to the door of pet shops, wanting to sell them specific packages of warranties.

Nominated vet clinics will be named in such warranties and so they have a ten years or assured business. You wont be able to get pre-paid treatment at any old vet clinic, just the ones who are linked to the insurance company.

Of course the prices of pets that are sold in pet shops with 10 year warranties will probably double overnight.

Sorry about that.

Trade Practices Act should have no problem with any of this. It is no different to buying a car or a computer with an extended warranty, that you, the purchaser pay for when you buy the goods.

Don't know why I never thought of this before. Pet shops will always sell pets in pet shops. That is how they make their money.

Well, it is probably time to up the stakes for them and make pet shop puppies a whole lot more expensive to buy because they come with a warranty, and make insurance companies a whole lot richer too.

If they are not selling as quickly, they wont need to be produced in such numbers by the puppy farmers and the puppy farmers might just have to find something else to do to make a buck.

Souff

:( BRILLIANT suggestion, Souff!

All the small fluffy breeds & poodle crosses :( have specific grooming needs.

They are the ones ( the lucky ones ) that end up at the groomers matted to the skin because they were not told to brush them

ears clogged up & infected because they don't know about plucking & cleaning, dew claws embedded in the skin, because they weren't removed or advised they were there & need a trim.

All disasters waiting to happen.

They are a business, they don't give pups away to rescue groups they just want their $,s.

Good luck. Maybe go & advise them of the issues. They may pay attention by some 1000 to 1 chance.

i bought my cavalier x poodle (vet told me she can not see any poodle in her at all) from a pet shop (i have since been educated in regards to why this was the wrong thing to do) and i was not given much information in regards to grooming, BUT, when i got home and got her to sleep that night i got on the internet and looked up as much information that i could, brought the required combs and comb her every second, day, i have booked her into a groomer that i use for my cat, and she has her first appointment in 4 weeks,

i have bought books on how to care for cavaliers, bathing, grooming, training, ect

i understand that some people fail to treat their pets with respect but not all do, people need to realise that it is their responsibility to care for the puppy and to find as much information as possible, i have found many sites very helpful, including this one, found many books helpful, as well as talking to people who own such breeds

No i did not get any information but it did not stop me from finding it out myself

mollie is so spoilt and is well groomed and well loved

If your Vet doesn't see poodle in you little girl you may be blessed with a dog that has thrown to her Cavalier ancestory and may have a coat that is easier to manage than most Cavaleir X Poodles are. Although bear in mind that when you have her desexed often the Cavalier coat becomes heavier in the neuter and you may then need the help of a professional to teach you to manage it.

many people have said lately that you can not see any poodle in her, one even asked me was i sure she was a cross and she could have sworn she was full breed cavalier and that i was very lucky to get a cavalier from the pet shop for $500, ( i have now been educated through this site as to why i should not have done this)

i have read about when cavs get desexed that their coat often becomes heavier and that regular grooming is esential, and i already have her booked in in 2 weeks for her first visit to the groomers, it is one we use regularly for my cat and mollie will also go regularly

Good on you.

Just fuming this morning as a very good friend of mine whose daughter BYB Cavaliers mentioned to my son when he told her we had recently had a little of puppies that her daughter has just mated her Cavalier bitch to a Poodle, but thinks she may have missed and is not pregnant. I hope so. :thumbsup:

Sorry about that.

Souff

:( BRILLIANT suggestion, Souff!

Except that they will also make Registered Breeders give a 10 year "warranty' and despite the best health checks, screenings etc. you CANNOT give a guarantee on the lifetime of any animal, nor should a breeder be expected to.

OK - even if they only made it a 1 year warranty, I'm sure that would take the gloss of it for the Petshops - I don't know about other breeders, but I do this already.

Interesting...what does this "warranty" cover? You would have to be very careful as it could be open to abuse by certain types. But yes, certainly would take the shine off Pet Shop Puppies.

OK - even if they only made it a 1 year warranty, I'm sure that would take the gloss of it for the Petshops - I don't know about other breeders, but I do this already.

Interesting...what does this "warranty" cover? You would have to be very careful as it could be open to abuse by certain types. But yes, certainly would take the shine off Pet Shop Puppies.

I'm not sure about that. Add a warranty (even if it's just for 12 months) and the public response will be "Wow, I get a warranty and I can put it on my credit card and take it home today - awesome!".

And what of the "faulty" pups who were returned under warranty?

I cover mine for any problems shown to be inherited. Obviously not for accidents. I also offer (as I know most breeders do) to take the puppy back, or try to re-home it, if they are unable to keep it. I'm also happy to board "my" puppies - try finding a petshop that will do this, or one you can phone at 10:00 pm because your puppy is behaving strangely :laugh:

Sorry about that.

Souff

:laugh: BRILLIANT suggestion, Souff!

Except that they will also make Registered Breeders give a 10 year "warranty' and despite the best health checks, screenings etc. you CANNOT give a guarantee on the lifetime of any animal, nor should a breeder be expected to.

:laugh:

No, no, this special deal in legislation is only to be for PET SHOPS.

Breeders who sell from home and do not have the retail trade going past their door do not have the same selling advantages as pet shops you see, so breeders and their organisations must ask the nice men and women in parliament to exempt them from the warranty because it is just a HOBBY.

This one is only for pet shops who have COMMERCIAL premises. Pet shops cannot say that they have a hobby, they have a retail business, and therein lies the difference.

If I buy a used car from a car dealer, in many states of Australia the dealership legally has to give me a warranty on that car.

If I buy a used car from the bloke around the corner, he does not have to give me a warranty because it is a private sale and I take the risk, not him.

If the laws about warranties on used cars have changed again (cos I havent looked lately) then please let me know.

Now, where are all those groups who want pet shops to stop selling puppies ........

Souff

That is for somebody else to work out, not me. :laugh: Done my bit. Will now return to being the laundry slave and dog food maker.

Souff

Stumbled across this thread and it reminded me of the pup my brother recently purchased, a Border Collie (sp) cross Maltese x shitzu (sp).... DD or accident or Puppy Mill? Who knows but either way shouldn't have happened in my opinion. Bought from a pet shop.... yep! Any info on care given..... nope!

They have done enough research themselves to know what a good diet is at least and didn't fall sucker to feeding something like Hills science diet. The pup actually gets chicken mince & carcasses and beef mince etc. Unfortunately though they are blind to where the pup probably came from and just fell sucker to the puppy dog eyes in the window.

It's these 'uninformed' consumers with ample disposable income that drive this sick cycle of puppy breeding/sales in pet stores. They decide on the spur of the moment the 'family needs a pup' and go to the closest location they can fulfill this 'need'. It's instantaneous gratification at it's worst. The desire driven by possibility, credit cards instead of laybuy, ge creditline loans instead of saving, the list goes on, society are so hung up on instant gratification, the decision making process for any consumer purchase has gone out the window and when a living being's life is affected by it, it really is even sadder.

I would also like to see a ban FULL STOP on the sale of pups and kittens from pet shops!

That is for somebody else to work out, not me. :confused: Done my bit. Will now return to being the laundry slave and dog food maker.

Souff

No I was asking Poodlemum what her warranty covers as I'm in the process of putting together contracts and puppy packs for my bubs. :confused: I did 5 loads this weekend !