Rare Special Needs Breeds In Pet Shops

SkySoaringMagpie

After the hassles with the dutch shepherd litter I've become aware of another breed in Sydney pet shops that is a disaster waiting to happen - for the dogs this time as they have very specific and demanding grooming needs. I am not going to say what breed or which shops as I don't think vigilante behaviour or phone harassment helps.

I know you can't buy them because you just fund the whole horrible business but are PP and their ilk receptive to breed clubs dropping off a business card and suggesting the buyers call them for advice? If they don't sell, can PP be convinced to hand them over to rescue or do they just get green dreamed after spending 4 weeks in a perspex box? Is there anything that can be done? Or is the whole thing just hopeless?

Some days it's just :) the whole way...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the small fluffy breeds & poodle crosses :) have specific grooming needs.

They are the ones ( the lucky ones ) that end up at the groomers matted to the skin because they were not told to brush them

ears clogged up & infected because they don't know about plucking & cleaning, dew claws embedded in the skin, because they weren't removed or advised they were there & need a trim.

All disasters waiting to happen.

They are a business, they don't give pups away to rescue groups they just want their $,s.

Good luck. Maybe go & advise them of the issues. They may pay attention by some 1000 to 1 chance.

I know the breed you are speaking of, and it makes my blood boil. :)

I guess if PP handed them over to rescue if they don't sell, at least they won't have to fork out $$ for a vet bill. Although I'd imagine a discount would be given to them. That is provided they actually get euthed rather than drowned in a bucket.

I guess dropping off some info wouldn't hurt. If a new owner wants to research the breed though, there is loads of info out there on the net etc. They just need to research it before buying the dog, rather than when they reach 8mths old and things are getting out of control.

:thumbsup: :D

I guess all you can do is try. Some breed info at least would be better than nothing.

And watch for some of them to turn up in the pounds when the coat comes in. Or worse, dead by the road if the new owners let them off leash without doing the groundwork or realising what they really have on the lead. :thumbsup:

Edited by Diva

My little dog Penelope (a "designer"... stunner. She's a "foxidoodle" you see. What a lovely designer dog, fox terrier x poodle! Who could have thought of a better cross?) Anyhow, enough sarcasm, she spent 6 MONTHS in a glass box before being handed over! 4 weeks is really quite optimistic.

My little dog Penelope (a "designer"... stunner. She's a "foxidoodle" you see. What a lovely designer dog, fox terrier x poodle! Who could have thought of a better cross?) Anyhow, enough sarcasm, she spent 6 MONTHS in a glass box before being handed over! 4 weeks is really quite optimistic.

This one won't spend 6 months - it's a large breed that loses its "cute" puppy look fairly early :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your girl's start in life.

Maybe you can contact the shop and ask to have your name placed on the pup as a back-up should it/they not sell, as an alternative to disposal. It might sound harsh, but if they don't make their dollars on the deal, they may be happy at the end to have someone take the problems away for free instead of paying to have them pts etc.

Well over the last 4 years I have worked with 8 different girls from all different PP stores who have all said that any puppy that is not sold quickly has the price reduced and then if the puppy still does not sell they reduce the price more and if that still fails they move the puppy to another PP location and start the routine all over again.

You might be able to scare them with the vague possibility of being sued for animal cruelty or something.

Eg write a letter outlining the problems and likely consequences of their actions including selling to uninformed impulse buyers ie equals animal cruelty - which is against the law - yes?

And maybe ask the RSPCA for advice. And if it's in a shopping centre - write the same problems and consequences letter to the centre management.

But I do like the idea of handing out information flyers in front of the pet store. Especially to anyone who looks at the puppies. Bit of info about that breed - here you go...

most breed groups for each state have a welfare/rescue contact ... is it worth letting them know that their particular breed is for sale at PP ?

Yes they know. Good idea tho'.

Edited to say that I consider the breed club welfare/rescue contacts the lead on this issue and wouldn't do anything without consulting with them first. Just trying to gather as many options as possible.

Also wanted to acknowledge Christina's post. I think sometimes those of us with rarer breeds can forget that some breeds are constant pet shop fodder one way or another. I'm surprised there isn't an armed poodle liberation front given all the horrors poodles have suffered in puppy farming and pet shops over the years.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

Well over the last 4 years I have worked with 8 different girls from all different PP stores who have all said that any puppy that is not sold quickly has the price reduced and then if the puppy still does not sell they reduce the price more and if that still fails they move the puppy to another PP location and start the routine all over again.

And then they give it to the tooth fairy, I suppose - do you REALLY believe that?

After the uproar over the Dutch Shepherd x litter, the fact that PP were contacted by some VERY experienced professionals who and warned of the risks associated with selling woking line pups into inexperienced pet homes, and the fact that PP still went ahead and sold them, I'd say you are wasting your breath ;)

"very specific and demanding grooming needs" will only translate to "yeah, you have to brush them".

MRB:

You might be able to scare them with the vague possibility of being sued for animal cruelty or something.

Eg write a letter outlining the problems and likely consequences of their actions including selling to uninformed impulse buyers ie equals animal cruelty - which is against the law - yes?

And maybe ask the RSPCA for advice. And if it's in a shopping centre - write the same problems and consequences letter to the centre management.

It's not illegal to sell an animal in a pet shop, nor is it considered (by law) to be animal cruelty to sell to an 'uninformed impulse buyer'. PP don't care about the consequences later down the track, they are not obligated to provide any form of "warranty" or to take the dog back months (or even weeks) later. If the new owners go on to negect the animal it's not the pet stores problem.

they wont listen they're only interested in the money. I can tell you the trouble we all went through with the dutchie pups and they still ended up in the arms of completely wrong owners DESPITE the pet chain knowing what they're like and getting a LOT of professional advice.

I have made up a shee to send to rescues with my contact details all you can do is the same thing if they happen to end up in a pound/shelter. Even local vet clinics, send them an info sheet as the pups will be attending them soon for more vaccs or check ups

PP do move pups around, it's not a good business model to keep killing your stock.

Edited by Nekhbet

After the uproar over the Dutch Shepherd x litter, the fact that PP were contacted by some VERY experienced professionals who and warned of the risks associated with selling woking line pups into inexperienced pet homes, and the fact that PP still went ahead and sold them, I'd say you are wasting your breath ;)

"very specific and demanding grooming needs" will only translate to "yeah, you have to brush them".

MRB:

It's not illegal to sell an animal in a pet shop, nor is it considered (by law) to be animal cruelty to sell to an 'uninformed impulse buyer'. PP don't care about the consequences later down the track, they are not obligated to provide any form of "warranty" or to take the dog back months (or even weeks) later. If the new owners go on to negect the animal it's not the pet stores problem.

Correct. That is what we are up against. The only way top this is to stop puppy sales in pet shops. If we stop pet shop sales we will go a long way into stopping the designer dog trade and puppy farms.

All the small fluffy breeds & poodle crosses :laugh: have specific grooming needs.

They are the ones ( the lucky ones ) that end up at the groomers matted to the skin because they were not told to brush them

ears clogged up & infected because they don't know about plucking & cleaning, dew claws embedded in the skin, because they weren't removed or advised they were there & need a trim.

All disasters waiting to happen.

They are a business, they don't give pups away to rescue groups they just want their $,s.

Good luck. Maybe go & advise them of the issues. They may pay attention by some 1000 to 1 chance.

i bought my cavalier x poodle (vet told me she can not see any poodle in her at all) from a pet shop (i have since been educated in regards to why this was the wrong thing to do) and i was not given much information in regards to grooming, BUT, when i got home and got her to sleep that night i got on the internet and looked up as much information that i could, brought the required combs and comb her every second, day, i have booked her into a groomer that i use for my cat, and she has her first appointment in 4 weeks,

i have bought books on how to care for cavaliers, bathing, grooming, training, ect

i understand that some people fail to treat their pets with respect but not all do, people need to realise that it is their responsibility to care for the puppy and to find as much information as possible, i have found many sites very helpful, including this one, found many books helpful, as well as talking to people who own such breeds

No i did not get any information but it did not stop me from finding it out myself

mollie is so spoilt and is well groomed and well loved

Stop sales of pups and kittens in stores? I'm really not sure that will ever happen - at the very least there needs to be a better push to making sure there is suitable legislation and minimum requirements that must be met and policed.

There are stores out there that sell animals on behalf of rescue organisations - should that be stopped as well since they are an animal being sold in a pet shop?

Stop sales of pups and kittens in stores? I'm really not sure that will ever happen - at the very least there needs to be a better push to making sure there is suitable legislation and minimum requirements that must be met and policed.

There are stores out there that sell animals on behalf of rescue organisations - should that be stopped as well since they are an animal being sold in a pet shop?

If they are sold to impulse buyers who are not checked for suitability my view is yes they should be stopped. I think most rescue sales of this nature are backed by much better vetting tho'?

Just an update, the urgency for this puppy has passed as she has been purchased by suitable people after they heard about her via the breed rescue grapevine. I am concerned tho' that PP have sold 3 of these puppies from the same litter and they may now conclude they have a market. :confused:

I've also seen people decide they are getting a new pet that day, walk into a rescue place and walk out with a new pet - how is that different regarding impulse buying? I know of once place that has also sold the odd one undesexed and even included it's papers etc if they had them - this could be heresay but i've heard it from more then one person, and a person who has oneas described.

Edited by KitKat