Inspired By Dolers

RallyValley

I love seeing the editing effects a lot of you do so I turned my hand to lightroom and came up with this:

5004342118_09f6948a09.jpg

and this

5003735247_be1a748e82.jpg

Before I started on DOL I thought a good photograph shouldn't have to be edited but from seeing a lot of your work and having a go I can see editing can take a good photo to a great photo. Thanks guys! :laugh:

On a side note my Oly is far too noisy for my liking :crazy:

Really nice photos CBR. I gather that's with your E420? What was your ISO speed? And what lens did you use? If noise is a problem, & you're getting into editing software, there are noise reduction programs you can get. NoiseWare is one I hear mentioned from time to time, but I'm sure there are several others around as well.

But often, by balancing ISO speed, aperature, with an individual lens, that alone can cut noise dramatically. Having said that, I think you're getting great results out of the little Oly :laugh:

EDIT: Also don't forget you can go into your E-420's menu, if you don't do this already, & change the default noise reduction setting from "Standard" to "High" (or "Low") if need be.

Edited by DMA

These were shot on auto so I am not sure of the ISO :thumbsup: ... I think I have to get a book about photography so I can start learning how everything works and how to do things properly. Like 99% of my shots come from my 40-150mm lens :) These ones did too.

Lightroom has some noise reduction stuff but the really noisy photos were show inside, at the Adelaide Royal on auto. I was probably asking way too much of my camera though as I was trying to get action shots in a dimly lit hall with no flash other then the one that came with the camera.

Also did'nt know about the noise reduction settings! Any recommendations for a book that is either very general or had some Olympus tips? Lots of them seem to lean towards Canon and Nikon :D

These were shot on auto so I am not sure of the ISO :) ... I think I have to get a book about photography so I can start learning how everything works and how to do things properly. Like 99% of my shots come from my 40-150mm lens :cheer: These ones did too.

Lightroom has some noise reduction stuff but the really noisy photos were show inside, at the Adelaide Royal on auto. I was probably asking way too much of my camera though as I was trying to get action shots in a dimly lit hall with no flash other then the one that came with the camera.

Also did'nt know about the noise reduction settings! Any recommendations for a book that is either very general or had some Olympus tips? Lots of them seem to lean towards Canon and Nikon :D

If you're doing indoors work with the e-420 you've simply got the wrong camera. Sorry. Mind you any level entry camera will have trouble in such conditions regardless of brand. Having said that there are some ways around it, but you really need a new lens by the sounds of it (if not a new body). At best, from the 40-150mm, you'll get an aperature of f4 @ 40mm to f5.6 @ 150mm. In other words the lens isn't suited for indoors work because, because of the aperature limitation, & you have to have a high ISO setting at least 800 but more likely 1 600. As said neither of these settings are good, regardless of brand at the level entry SLR...

So you want a lens which has a wider aperature basically. Alas this is where it gets expensive as we're probably talking the Zuiko 50-200mm as it has an aperature starting at f2.8. Furthermore it has excellent glass which will really bring impressive improvement in image quality. Plus, because it is such a good lens, you can get away with the higher ISO settings & still get good image quality. Here's an example from Muswellbrook pound using the 12-60mm (the wide range counterpart to the 50-200mm). ISO is set at 2 000. Very gloomy interior. Aperature is at f4. Shutter speed is 1/8 sec... and please excuse the quality as they're far from my best, but will serve as a compare/contrast examples of non-flash photos in very gloomy light...

8a0810b.jpg

8a0810c.jpg

Now sure I've got the E-30, which itself does help a lot, but in this instance the lens made a big difference as here's another white dog up close using the Sigma 30mm. ISO is set at 1 600, aperature is at f1.4, whilst shutter speed is 1/500 sec. So I could probably drop the ISO level down a further level & improve image quality.

160910.jpg

160910a.jpg

160910b.jpg

The thing is note the very clear image quality, even with very high ISO, thanks to the 12-60mm of the first example. Needless to say you could expect the same good images without much noise from the 50-200mm. But, depending how dark it is (& Muswellbrook pound is very gloomy), you may need to upgrade your body as well. Having said that, if there is enough light around, I can't see why you shouldn't get good results, even at 1 600 ISO, using the 50-200mm with the e-420. However, as per the second dog, by getting a lens with much wider aperature, this means the ISO setting can be much lower thus reducing noise. However, as you can see in the second example, noise is still a problem, to a certain extent, but I think that's got more to do with the phots being taken with the 30mm Sigma than the Zuiko 12-60mm & I could have taken it at say 800 ISO.

So, completely confused? :thumbsup:

As for Olympus orientated publications... I've never really come across any. Sorry about that. My experience comes from 39 years worth of photography. Maybe I should write a users manual! :D

Just to add I did a quick search on the internet for some tutorial for the E-420 & came across two items at CNET.

The first is "Quickpro - Olympus E420 Camera Body Tour" at this link: http://www.cnet.com.au/downloads/soa/Quick...1188403s,00.htm

And...

"Olympus E-420 by Jumpstart" at this link: http://www.cnet.com.au/downloads/soa/Olymp...1150468s,00.htm

I have no idea what they are like, but they maybe of help.

Other than that there's the classics like "Digital SLR Cameras and Photography For Dummies" which you should be able to get more or less anywhere.