Optimum

cj-b

Does anyone feed Optimum to their dogs? How do you find it? The ingredients have recently changed, they are still to update their website, but it looks like a really good kibble to me, no wheat, all natural, lists a meat meal as it's first ingredient as well as some more further down the list. I think I will give it a try as it is much cheaper than Nutro, but has the same Nutritional levels, if not better. Higher zinc, Omega 3 & 6 and same levels of Vit E, which is all important for us with a dog with a history of dry skin issues.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I realise all dog do differently on each different kibble, but just after a general feedback while I try it on my guy :eek:

I've used it in the past and had no problems with it. I tried it again a few months ago on my Dobe puppy and unfortunately it gave him the runs, really really badly. Took him off it, problem went away, introduced it again, got the runs again. All my other dogs were fine on it though so he obviously has an issue with something in it.

Mine have it and do very well on it.

My old Stafford has all sorts of food issues and this food suits him better than any others I have tried. I was not aware they had changed the ingredients but did see the other day when I was shopping the packaging had changed. When I get a new bag I will compare the bags.

I have no issues with upset tummies or stinky and volumous poops. They have quite small poops and they go twice daily so I don't think it has a huge amount of fillers.

Down here you have a choice of Advance or Science diet in the premium range and I believe this is every bit as good if not better than those.

I've used it in the past and had no problems with it. I tried it again a few months ago on my Dobe puppy and unfortunately it gave him the runs, really really badly. Took him off it, problem went away, introduced it again, got the runs again. All my other dogs were fine on it though so he obviously has an issue with something in it.

Our Sheltie got the runs on this food as well.

I use Optimum & have found it to be very good. I used to use Eukanuba & I got a free pack of Optimum, so I thought "let's give it a go" the dogs LOVE it.

It seems like it has more moisture in it. The ingredients are similar to the more exspensive brands. I use it all the time now. Best ever!

i have my two cats on optimum for cats and they do fine on it, they both have sensitive tummys and this is great for them, reduced smell and stool amount, made their coats soft & smooth

Koda my eldest dog started out, when we bought him home, on optimum and did great on it we only changed him to lucky dog as it was cheaper, but it has not affected him, he does well on either.

mollie my youngest puppy was on optimum, cause it was what all the others ate and i felt comfortable with the brand and knew it was good food, when small but it did not suit her, she had really smelly & soft poops, corse hair, she was changed by the vet to hills science and that gave her the runs really bad, :laugh:

she is now on Pro Plan, and is thriving, firm poops, not smelly, coat really soft and smooth, will stay with pro plan for her,

as you said every dog is different, and we have had all our pets on optimum from the start and never had any problems with it, but mollie does not tolerate it, all u can do is try it and see how it goes,

i read somewhere here that "the best food for your dog is one it will tolerate", that is your guide as to which is the best for your dog

good luck :laugh:

i have my two cats on optimum for cats and they do fine on it, they both have sensitive tummys and this is great for them, reduced smell and stool amount, made their coats soft & smooth

Koda my eldest dog started out, when we bought him home, on optimum and did great on it we only changed him to lucky dog as it was cheaper, but it has not affected him, he does well on either.

mollie my youngest puppy was on optimum, cause it was what all the others ate and i felt comfortable with the brand and knew it was good food, when small but it did not suit her, she had really smelly & soft poops, corse hair, she was changed by the vet to hills science and that gave her the runs really bad, :laugh:

she is now on Pro Plan, and is thriving, firm poops, not smelly, coat really soft and smooth, will stay with pro plan for her,

as you said every dog is different, and we have had all our pets on optimum from the start and never had any problems with it, but mollie does not tolerate it, all u can do is try it and see how it goes,

i read somewhere here that "the best food for your dog is one it will tolerate", that is your guide as to which is the best for your dog

Thank you for your advice. I added some to his nutro and for the last couple of days, his poos have been soft and rather sloppy to clean up, thank heavens for the rains, that has washed it into the lawn for me. So I guess, it's back to nutro for now. Hopefully his vomitting will become a thing of the past, and he can stay on it. Once he is out of the puppy stage, I think I might look into changing him onto a chix free kibble and see how that goes.

Thank you for your advice. I added some to his nutro and for the last couple of days, his poos have been soft and rather sloppy to clean up, thank heavens for the rains, that has washed it into the lawn for me. So I guess, it's back to nutro for now. Hopefully his vomitting will become a thing of the past, and he can stay on it. Once he is out of the puppy stage, I think I might look into changing him onto a chix free kibble and see how that goes.

glad i could be of help, hope it all goes well, i found it hard trying to find a good food for mollie, you think your doing the right thing buying the "best" food and they don't tolerate it, the poor puppy is unwell on the food and meanwhile you have to switch to something else and the change will upset their tummys, i am glad that i found pro plan, she is so much better on it, it makes it hard when they can't tell you that the food is hurting them or making them feel yuck,

my elder dog has both of mollies rejected foods - hills, optimum mixed with his lucky dog, he has a smorgas board and is loving the variety,

good luck

:o