What Do Puppy Prices Make You Think Of Breeders?

my_sibe_owns_me

What do you think of breeders and their puppy prices  

143 members have voted

1. 1. What does a price of a puppy make you think of a breeder?

• Cheap puppies are not of quality and come from BYB's trying to get rid of them
    • Expensive puppies come from quality dogs and good breeders
    • Expensive puppies are normally lacking quality and are just flashy. Bred by byb-ers.
    • I look at the quality of the dogs, the breeder and dont care about the price
    • I look at the dogs and the breed and judge if the price is right

I guess the thing I am learning here is the people who are mostly likely to be good homes and understand the breed are the people who are not going to ask about price till they have "proven' themselves and scooped me out in return.

I don't agree with this. I ask about price because I can't afford to spend $3000. There is no point wasting a breeder or my time when I can't afford what they're selling.

I love my dogs very much, and while I'm not a perfect owner they are fed a good balance of raw and premium, they are walked twice a day, they are obedience trained and do agility for fun. I am, compared to many owners I see, a good dog owner. My dogs are well behaved and content.

I think that when there are set "rules" and people get rejected for asking the "wrong" question to early on then good homes get passed up. I think you need to spend time talking to potential homes and getting to know them, rather than dismissing people early on.

Fair enough. I understand.

But I have gotten emails that JUST say "how much" and leave it at. That just strikes me as odd.

There was a big debate about this a while ago.

I got my head chewed off for saying people just asking "how much" got put at the bottom of my list.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with this. I ask about price because I can't afford to spend $3000. There is no point wasting a breeder or my time when I can't afford what they're selling.

Agreed. If you've no idea on the average price then you need to ask. Someone may have $1500 saved up only to find out (once they are already excited) that puppy cost $2500 and they simply can't afford it.

A breeder shouldn't be offended because somebody asks "how much?". If this was the only question I'd be wary though..

Shaar,

How would you feel about a buyer that emailed you, introduced themselves, told you a little about their lifestyle and what they were looking for and then ended by asking if you did have/when you would next have puppies available and how much they would cost.

Would you still put them to the bottom of the list?

efs

Edited by SecretKei

I guess the thing I am learning here is the people who are mostly likely to be good homes and understand the breed are the people who are not going to ask about price till they have "proven' themselves and scooped me out in return.

I love my dogs very much, and while I'm not a perfect owner they are fed a good balance of raw and premium, they are walked twice a day, they are obedience trained and do agility for fun. I am, compared to many owners I see, a good dog owner. My dogs are well behaved and content.

I think that when there are set "rules" and people get rejected for asking the "wrong" question to early on then good homes get passed up. I think you need to spend time talking to potential homes and getting to know them, rather than dismissing people early on.

Fair enough. I understand.

But I have gotten emails that JUST say "how much" and leave it at. That just strikes me as odd.

There was a big debate about this a while ago.

I got my head chewed off for saying people just asking "how much" got put at the bottom of my list.

:thumbsup: Yes, this does seem like a very touchy subject doesnt? But I am also desexing pups at 8weeks which a lot of people dont approve of so I will tread water and gather input.

Yes, the people who have JUST asked me how much are put on the bottom of my list but I will give them a chance to redeem themselves. I think puppy buyers SHOULD shop around but they should also ask to see what they are paying for. If I added in the desexing price to my total price then my pups would be above average and people may write them off without every asking about them. If they dont want to put enough effort into scanning me then I dont feel I should make them a main priority.

Shaar,

How would you feel about a buyer that emailed you, introduced themselves, told you a little about their lifestyle and what they were looking for and then ended by asking if you did have/when you would next have puppies available and how much they would cost.

efs

I know this is Shaar but I would just like to say I think that would be a fair email. I dont think just a "how much" is fair.

I would ask the going middle rate for your breed. If they are very high I am inclinded to think they are more likely doing it for the money ( I do realise that import litters are likely to be higher so once I had that info this thinking woudn't apply) If the price is very low I do tend to think that they are cutting corners as realisitically no-one goes out of their way to make a loss, yes it happens but you don't deliberately do it.

A price somewhere around the average to me is the best road to take.

I don't worry about the price for a particular puppy as such, but there are some breeds I wouldn't get because they do have a very high puppy price and I cannot justify in my circumstance at the moment paying that amount of money.

If someone couldn't pay the average price for a puppy in my breed - a pet puppy, non-import litter- I would be concerned that they wouldn't be able to afford to have the costs associated with a dog/puppy, or the money to seek treatment if they got sick. Obviously illnesses or injuries of the many thousands are sometimes not affordable to people that do have the money to look after a dog and more run of the mill illness or injury.

Not sure I am making sense, but essentially no I do think you should sell them too cheaply, you are a registered breeder that is breeding quality puppies, don't sell them short.

Shaar,

efs

I would have no problem with that, they at least took the time to say a little about themselves first. People asking for price I don't have a problem with but to me there is right and wrong way to do it :thumbsup:

Edited by Shaar

I would ask the going middle rate for your breed. If they are very high I am inclinded to think they are more likely doing it for the money ( I do realise that import litters are likely to be higher so once I had that info this thinking woudn't apply) If the price is very low I do tend to think that they are cutting corners as realisitically no-one goes out of their way to make a loss, yes it happens but you don't deliberately do it.

A price somewhere around the average to me is the best road to take.

I don't worry about the price for a particular puppy as such, but there are some breeds I wouldn't get because they do have a very high puppy price and I cannot justify in my circumstance at the moment paying that amount of money.

If someone couldn't pay the average price for a puppy in my breed - a pet puppy, non-import litter- I would be concerned that they wouldn't be able to afford to have the costs associated with a dog/puppy, or the money to seek treatment if they got sick. Obviously illnesses or injuries of the many thousands are sometimes not affordable to people that do have the money to look after a dog and more run of the mill illness or injury.

Not sure I am making sense, but essentially no I do think you should sell them too cheaply, you are a registered breeder that is breeding quality puppies, don't sell them short.

I am not a reg. breeder yet tho. AKC says I have to HAVE a litter before I can reg. This litter will be my first litter. I will be registering once they are born/send in their paper work.

ETA: Parents are show dogs so they are reg. AKC. My kennel prefix is not.

Edited by my_sibe_owns_me

I dont feel anyone should be charging 3000+ for a pet. If it is a guarantee working dog ect. then yes, I can agree. But come on. On a puppy? Theres a million dogs dying right now if you just want one to sit on the chair next to you IMO. IF people want to dish the money then its their money and their choice. I just happen to think it is insane.

not insane at all if that's the breed you want, from the breeder who you respect and who has the lines you are after. What's wrong with buying what you want, even if it is only going to sit next to you on a chair. Why settle for something else just because there are a million dogs supposedly dying right now. Pedigree, expensive dogs also deserve a good home. No good getting something else and end up resenting it.

I would hate to think how much Miller cost me to get him here, at least $3000, and he has ended up desexed and laying on the couch next to me.

When some random cross breed in a pet shop sells for around $800 I don't think up to a few thousand is unreasonable for a purebreed dog from a good breeder.

When we were thinking about getting a dog, we did some research about prices and set up a 'puppy fund'. Put a bit away each pay until we had our 'ballpark' figure which would cover the cost of the dog and possibly have some left over (which was $2000). If it had been more it just would have taken us longer to get the money together. It certainly wasn't an impulse buy anyway, so it didn't really matter how long it took us to save up.

I dont feel anyone should be charging 3000+ for a pet. If it is a guarantee working dog ect. then yes, I can agree. But come on. On a puppy? Theres a million dogs dying right now if you just want one to sit on the chair next to you IMO. IF people want to dish the money then its their money and their choice. I just happen to think it is insane.

not insane at all if that's the breed you want, from the breeder who you respect and who has the lines you are after. What's wrong with buying what you want, even if it is only going to sit next to you on a chair. Why settle for something else just because there are a million dogs supposedly dying right now. Pedigree, expensive dogs also deserve a good home. No good getting something else and end up resenting it.

I would hate to think how much Miller cost me to get him here, at least $3000, and he has ended up desexed and laying on the couch next to me.

Again if people what to pay the price then fine. But I still think it is crazy and nothing anyone will every say will change my mind. I never said I dont think the said puppy deserves a great home. I just dont feel any puppy should/needs to be sold for that much if they are a pet puppy. Again this is my opinion. You can have yours. But I dont wish to keep flogging a dead horse.

Not supposedly. Are :thumbsup:

What's that old saying:

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten".

When you explain to puppy buyers about genetic health testing, hip and elbow scoring and responsible puppy raising to the age of 8 weeks, they pretty quickly grasp the concept of why a pup from a responsible breeder might cost more than one out of the Trading Post.

Sometimes you simply get what you pay for. :thumbsup:

lol I did explain my price to one lady who freaked out about the contract (which is very simple. Just says I would like the dog returned to me and not a shelter if they feel they have no other alternative and it has health guarantees). I told her if she had an issue a contract that protected her and the puppy then she was not the right person for my puppy.

I've several enquiries recently from some lovely people all searching for companion puppies, some of them send an email with information about their lifestyle etc. asking about puppy availability and cost.

Given I'm not planning a litter for well over 12 months I've still taken the time to respond to them, answered their questions regarding the breed and suggested that, at the present time there aren't many puppies on the ground. I've also given them an 'average' price for a pet puppy on the East Coast of Australia so that they know what they are looking at price-wise.

I think it's human nature for us to want to know how much something might be well before we go ahead and fork out the $ but I really do have a hard time with those emails that come through asking 'how much' and nothing else.

We all have our own ideas of what a suitable price is for a pet puppy but I don't think it's anyones right to call those who might charge what another thinks is an over-the-top price just because you don't agree with it.

Edited by Aziah

I myself do like to know the price, after all I may or may not have the funds at athat time. I don't walk into a shop of any sort say yep i'll have that and find out the price last.

I do not think asking for a price is a bad thing, but if that was the only thing then yes I would have a problem.

If someone tells you about themselves, what sort of property they have, how many other animals/kids they have and what they would like the puppy for eg pet sow obedience etc and also asks price and when you are looking at having a litter then how can them asking the price be a bad thing?? To me it is being responsible. I would have a problem with someone trying to barter me down though, I think that is rude and I have seen it happen.

Admittedly, last time I got a puppy I didn't ask 'how much?', the breeder simply told me. That was 11 years ago now and wheaten pups have pretty much doubled in price from most breeders. Some are more expensive from what I understand. I think if one was more expensive than I expected, I'd simply continue to save if I really wanted one but a little planning goes a long way in being able to afford a puppy. Ask early, have a savings plan.