Voltaren

tlc

Recently there has been a lot of contraversy about Voltaren, firstly my Mums doctor told her not to take it anymore and to tell me to stop taking it too (Heal spur and Back) as a lot of things have come to light as far as this drug is concerned and it is bad, he didn't elaborate much on this, just said thedurg has been proven to make the risk of strokes amoung other things a lot higher.

A few others I have spoken to reckon it is scaremongering but I'm not so sure. A work mate yesterday came to me (knowing I have dogs) and asked me if I use voltaren (topical) on my dogs for joints or any other problems? She had a friend with a 6 year old dog that had been treated with voltaren for a joint problem and the dog has just recently died of kidney failure. The vet put this down to the use of the voltaren. I have used the voltaren on one of my girls years ago but only for a few days, so I am not worried about it but just wanted to put it out there for others.

I hate hearing things like this, it makes you question every little thing you do for yourself and your animals, all I wanna do is keep them safe!

Gosh, i hav not heard this but would be interested to know if there are any facts.

I use Voltaran myself. Hav not used on my dogs before, didn't know that you could.

I wonder if there are any studies being done to link voltaran to stroke and kidney failure !

In terms of the use of this product in humans, I suggest talking to your pharmacist. They are the "drug experts" (sorry to the GPs and Nurses out there...) and will have the knowledge to discuss the treatment as it pertains your whole drug regime.

Re use in dogs, not sure... Sorry!

It was my mums doctor who told her there was a problem (2 days ago) with it as she had been taking it and knew I was too, I guess if your doctor tell you something is going to give you a stroke if you keep using it then you sit up and listen.

It was the doggy chiro who suggests it for dogs I also know other people who use it on thier dogs with bad joint problems.

Thanks for the quick replies, I wasnt sure if this had been posted earlier I did a search bit didnt find anything.

bloody marvellous, I've been on a daily dose for years now and my Dr hasn't said a thing about it, just keep re newing the prescription. There's no cure for me and I assumed I would be on it for the rest of my life purely to be able to funciton.

Same although I went to getting the over the counter stuff, same stuff but half strength. Might have to consider changing to a dfferent one. Another friend at work says they are the only thins that works for her.

I have tried Mobic but they don't seem as good, swapping now to naproxen (sp) will see how that goes. http://www.drugs.com/naproxen.html

I guess with any of these type of drugs there is a risk of all sorts of things but there is something about the voltaren that is worse than all the rest, not quite sure of the full story.

From my understanding of what has been said - in newspapers and on TV - there is only a problem if you exceed the recommended daily dose. The figure I saw quoted was people who were taking 1200mg per day had significant increased risk of stroke (80% for Voltarin and 30% for Ibuprofen (Nurofen)). Also the numbers in the study in Denmark(?) were fairly small.

If you are prescribed these medications by your Dr and take the recommended dose I wouldn't be too concerned. If you are concerned talk to either your prescribing Dr or Pharmacist. I wouldn't be relying on what is being publicised.

JMO.

There has always been a risk of side effects with these drugs, mainly related to the digestive system, liver and kidneys but the stroke risk seems to be the one they have just made the connection with. The liver and kidneys have to filter any drugs in the system so it makes sense that many drugs may damage those organs.

All drugs have possible side effects because every person or animal will react to them in their own way.

Voltaren is a non steriodal anti inflmammatory drug similar to metcam, rimadyl, previcox etc.

There is always the risk of kidney failure when using these drugs, which is why it is ideal to check kidney and liver parameters before admisitering them. Of course this is very rarely done in an otherwise healthy young dog.

I am not sure voltaren is commonly used in dogs? I know nurofen (ibuprofen) is toxic to dogs and cats. Personally I think there are safer alteernatives, approved for use in animals, but maybe they were more expensive.

I have a mate who had to have quite a bit of abdominal surgery after having an adverse reaction to Voltaren.

My prefs are either Naprosen SR 1000 (24 hr dosage) or Celebrex 200mg (doesn't give me heartburn)...

I have a serious back condition that I've just had to learn how to live with - being allergic to most painkillers... grrr! I can take the above if the pain is really nasty, or over the counter Nurofen when it's just niggling...

T.

It was my mums doctor who told her there was a problem (2 days ago) with it as she had been taking it and knew I was too, I guess if your doctor tell you something is going to give you a stroke if you keep using it then you sit up and listen.

It was the doggy chiro who suggests it for dogs I also know other people who use it on thier dogs with bad joint problems.

Thanks for the quick replies, I wasnt sure if this had been posted earlier I did a search bit didnt find anything.

Me thinks that the "doggy chiro" deserves to be reprimanded for suggesting the use of human products for dogs! He/she should know better or at the very least keep his/her stupid mouth shut!

Lot's of human products are used for dogs? Vets prescribe them. They're often much cheaper from a chemist than from a vet.

I realise that some human products and medications can be used on dogs and if it is a vet that suggests such use then I would assume that the vet would know what he/she is talking about although there is always the exception to the rule but such information coming from anyone other than a vet should be regarded with scepticism; better still....anyone other than a vet should not take the liberty to suggest that human products/medications be used on dogs but then to expect all people to exercise a degree of common sense is to expect the impossible. :rofl:

Edited by Moselle