Air Mesh Harness?

sinnamon

i am looking for a harness for my new staffy pup, but i'm after something that wont heat her up too much but will still be comfortable. has anyone tryed the air mesh harnesses, are they any good? or can someone recomend a good brand that would be cool and comfortable please.

Any particular reason you want to use a harness?

A flat collar would be more comfortable and less hot. :laugh:

i thought a harness would be better because she's playing stubborn and just stops and i don't like pulling on the lead cos the collar just chokes her so i thought a harness would solve that problem.

Any particular reason you want to use a harness?

A flat collar would be more comfortable and less hot. :laugh:

i thought a harness would be better because she's playing stubborn and just stops and i don't like pulling on the lead cos the collar just chokes her so i thought a harness would solve that problem.

I don't think it will help you with that. You'll just end up tugging someting attached to her body.

What you want is to encourage her forward with your voice, a toy or a treat.

How far are you walking her? How old is she?

i'm not walking her too far just up to the bus stop for the kids, but she must know i'm on a time limit cos she doesn't want to walk up there but she's happy to walk home. she is 7 weeks old so i'm not pushing her too much and have been carrying her to the bus stop. i just thought a harness would be more comfortable.

Just to give you an idea of how hard a dog can pull into a harness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J1yDO0O7jM :)

Whatever you use you are going to have to teach the puppy loose leash walking (heaps of threads on it here if you do a search). No particular tool is going to magically do it for you and some dogs take more work than others.

As far as harnesses go there are lots of different options from standard to front attaching to no pull. Don't go out and spend a fortune on a puppy harness though as she'll grow out of it very quickly, perhaps a nice light nylon harness if you really want to use one. Otherwise train her with a flat collar now and buy a harness once she's a little older and walking nicely :laugh:

i'm not walking her too far just up to the bus stop for the kids, but she must know i'm on a time limit cos she doesn't want to walk up there but she's happy to walk home. she is 7 weeks old so i'm not pushing her too much and have been carrying her to the bus stop. i just thought a harness would be more comfortable.

Walking a 7 week old puppy who has not had all her vaccs yet is not a good idea.

By all means take her out and about and expose her to lots of different things - but don't walk her in public areas yet or you could be putting her at risk of parvo. Carrying her is fine though :laugh:

we live on a farm so she is not meeting anyone when we go to the bus stop, it's just us. i was told by the vet to at least wait 2 weeks from her 1st vac b4 letting her have contact with other dogs. i've been doing some reading since i first posted to help me train her better. thanks for all the advise.

we live on a farm so she is not meeting anyone when we go to the bus stop, it's just us. i was told by the vet to at least wait 2 weeks from her 1st vac b4 letting her have contact with other dogs. i've been doing some reading since i first posted to help me train her better. thanks for all the advise.

How far is it from the house to the bus stop??

the point is not meeting face to face but parvo lives in the soil. An infected dog could have pooped there a while ago and your little sniffing pup can pick it up. That is the problem :laugh:

the first vaccination mostly mops up the maternal antibodies and the guarentee of any immunity is low. At most I'd be introducing it to dogs that dont really go anywhere and are well vaccinated and healthy.

ETA My rottie pup got parvo, he didnt meet any dogs face to face either except my own on site dogs who were all well vaccinated .... 3 weeks on a drip and over $1000 later he just survived

Edited by Nekhbet

Wow, she is an absolute baby. Ideally she should be still with her litter. She should not be doing any "forced" excercise yet. Playing freely is fine, but trudging the pavements is not good idea for such a young one.

Wow, she is an absolute baby. Ideally she should be still with her litter. She should not be doing any "forced" excercise yet. Playing freely is fine, but trudging the pavements is not good idea for such a young one.

Totally agree with the above. I did cringe when I read she was only 7 weeks :eek: .

Edited by Tiggy