Help Needed- How To Train Our 2 Yo Dog? No Idea Where To Start

kezzdee

Hi everyone!

A bit of background info- we already have a 3 yo yellow lab whom we rescued from the pound early this year, Banjo. He was microchipped to a breeder (details not current), undesexed. Unsure whether he had ever undergone training but from the start he was an ''easy'' dog- has never barked, bitten whilst playing, chewed anything etc. Very affectionate, sits on demand, plays fetch. He sleeps inside in the lounge room, is house-trained.

Months later we decided to add one more canine to the family and adopted another yellow lab from the pound, Sunny. When I met him there, I knew he would require some training as he was very excitable and jumpy. He was undesexed and wasn't registered. Despite his jumpiness and barking at other dogs, and I saw his potential, he was sweet and bright and I was smitten. He arrived at our house yesterday, and following another DOL'ers suggestions, we introduced the two dogs outside the house (on neutral territory), on leads, equal footing etc. After a good sniff, they both seemed keen to play, we didn't sense any aggression so let them into our back yard. They had a good play for an hour or so, tug-of-war with toys, chasey etc.

Sunny then began jumping on Banjo though and trying to ''hump'' him at any given opportunity. This has been going on since he arrived...poor Banjo doesn't seem impressed. I did some research and it seems likely that it's an act of dominance. How do I respond to this? Ignore and let it sort itself out? Spray bottle of water? Just a firm ''No''? Tugging his collar so that he gets off? So far I've been doing a combo of ''No!'' and tugging his collar so he gets off but would appreciate some feedback.

Because it's wet weather here, and with all their playing the dogs got really wet and muddy, I didn't bring them inside last night. We have a sheltered area outside with dog couches for sleeping on, so I kept them out. Sunny barked throughout the night, at one point I brought him inside and put him in the laundry, but the barking continued. He also chewed things outside (I brought in most stuff but he got hold of a couple of sandpit toys and chewed his food bowl.) He pulled the blanket off his couch and left it in the rain, and every time I fill up the water bowl he splashes it all out with his paws.

I really don't know where to start with him- I have spent a fair bit of time this morning using lots of postive reinforcement to get him to sit on command. He has been full throttle since he arrived but I know it'll take time for him to settle in, but I need to be firm with boundaries. He's been wagging his tail alot and ''smiling''- licking us etc, he's a lovely boy but crikey he is hard work! He pulls VERY hard on the lead- so far we only have a normal collar and lead for each dog but now I am wondering about a halti or check chain for Sunny. I am nervous about taking him for a walk- and how should I go about it? Walk one dog at a time, or get them used to walking together from the start?

I am new to this but very committed to Sunny and open to any suggestions. I think with some guidance he will come along in leaps and bounds. The incessant barking especially has gotta stop or our neighbours will report us to council. I have just read the thread on e-collars which have given me alot to think about too. Thanks in advance. Oh, both dogs are now desexed, male and aged 3 and 2 yrs.

Edited by kezzdee

Wow- you're a glutton for punishment - 2 ratbag labs !! Thank heaven they come equipped with that goofy grin :D

First thing I would suggest is a visit from a professional behaviouirist/trainer -ASAP ..... not a 'quick-fix' franchise, but someone who has the expertise to observe/assess and then provide you with the 'tools' and strategies you will need . If new boy is humping the other dog.. .hopefuly the other dog doesn't suddenly decide he's had enough :) Try and keep them separate for periods- give them both time with you alone..that way you can do work with each one , and give the other a break ..

I think the new boy needs his wings clipped a bit in these early days ... more leash time with you..or crate training maybe for short periods ?Just so he can stop/listen, and learn . Hmmm.. maybe you are seeing why he was in rescue? :) Male labs , without proper training are :):laugh:

Thanks for the reply Persephone, he wasn't a surrender but yes with his behaviour, I can see why perhaps his owners didn't look to hard for him. He is now desexed but you would never know it!

Because I have never had to look into training until now, I don't know what crate training is but will do some research. I definately agree that some one-one-one professional help would be great, so today I will be making some phonecalls.

I certainly have my work cut out for me but what can I say, I have a weakness for labs! Couldn't turn my back on this boy. I think he will come good in time :laugh:

Having had similar issues with my adopted fella I can understand how you're feeling :laugh:

I can't recommend the TOT programme enough. You can read about it here

I am not sure why it worked with Tango but I think it had something to do with his focus, him understanding who the leader is and also to do with allowing HIM to figure out what he needs to do. I have him and my other dog both sitting, waiting and Tango staring into my eyes until I tell him he can have his food. One of the things I know this did was teach him the sit command without ME having to teach it to him (if that makes sense). When he sat I said "sit" and he associated the word with the action after a while.

But this seemed to effect his behaviour in general and made it easier to teach him other things. He's not perfect (yet??? HEE HEE) but the TOT really helped him over some crucial issues.

tango had never been walked so he was impossible to walk on a normal lead and collar (my back and neck suffered badly when I tried). I got him a front-attaching harness and he stopped pulling almost immediately. I tried the head halter but that sent him into a panic. He has been walked with the other dog almost all the time but my other dog can walk politely off-lead so that made it easier.

I am about to transition him off the harness because I think he's now settled enough when walking to do that. He also gets walked off-lead sometimes (in a safe area) and I think that's helped be less frantic about walks on the lead.

Good luck!! And congrats on rescuing this bundle of trouble :)

Dont bother with internet advice

get a behaviourist in NOW to show you what to do and how to deal with it. I think you took a bit far of a plunge personally considering his behaviour in the pound, but you have him now and you need to get help ASAP with his problems.

Firm boundries, no leeway, and you need to get your confidence up if you wish to train a large, boistrous, untrained dog. He needs to be taught to settle, what is NOT acceptable and to simply listen to you. Most of his behaviour seems to stem from simple lack of control (not you but learned in previous home)

As for the barking, get him a crate, and put him in there. If not, at least the laundry. I'd be throwing him a big bone in there too to keep him quiet.

Dont bother with internet advice

get a behaviourist in NOW to show you what to do and how to deal with it.

I agree. I think it would be money well spent.

I would definitely be discouraging the humping in the meantime. If you don't stop it, your other dog may decide he has to and that's a situation you really want to avoid.

Spottychick thanks for sharing that program, it looks great but to be on the safe side I am going to call someone to come out here. I would feel more comfortable with someone experienced observing him I think. Considering we got hardly and sleep last night from his barking etc I am classifying this as pretty urgent.

Can anyone recommend a good behaviourist in Newcastle? I googled and several came up, and if I am going to spend the money I would like to at least have an idea of who would be better. I am going to avoid crating him, considering I have already spent a considerable amount on his aoption, fuel to transport him and now a behavioural therapist, I really can't afford to buy one at this point. So I will stick with putting him in the laundry which is small anyway (smaller than the pound kennels). I will head to the butcher shortly to get a few bones, hopefully it will keep him busy, and I assume I will put him ''to bed'' with his bone rather than wait until he starts barking, or else it will seem I am rewarding him.

I'm very relieved to say his behaviour today already appears to have improved. He is more settled, has been humping far less (only a few times, and I reacted fast each time) . Although I was tentative about opening the house to him yet, I thought I'd see how he went (followed him closely to ensure he didn't chew or jump on anything.) He seems to much prefer being in here with us (as Banjo does) and I think him being in here with us has helped him settle. We had a great long session of playing outside this morning and he really is a smart cookie. This afternoon he allowed me to scratch his head for a lengthy period, and layed contently whilst I did so. Before that he would flinch or run off each time I went to touch his head.