Training Drug Detection Shepherds

sllebasi

i have a friend with two shepherds who is interested in training them for drug detection work,scent training. as 'drugs' are hard to come by, are there any training methods or alternatives that can be used to train particularly the youngest who is just 12 months old. is pure bred shepherd but is small for her age as are her siblings - wont be any good in the future for guard dog work although is currently training and does 'work experience' as one

i have a friend with two shepherds who is interested in training them for drug detection work,scent training. as 'drugs' are hard to come by, are there any training methods or alternatives that can be used to train particularly the youngest who is just 12 months old. is pure bred shepherd but is small for her age as are her siblings - wont be any good in the future for guard dog work although is currently training and does 'work experience' as one

Depending on what you intend to do with the dogs scent abilities, I have found if its for scent detection in the "real word" then the psuedo drugs are not the same as the real thing!

There is a scent centre here that uses real scents maybe you could email them

k9centre.com

Faling that you may be able to get special permission to have a Police station soak the training towels for you as a starter, should be easy enough with the cannabis but unsure if the rest would be available.

But try the k9 centre.

When I trained Narc dogs it was a few years ago but I dare say the scents would still be diff from the real thing ( especially the chem drugs as they are forever changing! )

all the best!

In WA (and I am sure other states are similar) you need a Cat 4 Narc license to be able to hold drugs, I have one but they are extremely hard to aquire.

:laugh:

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

From my understanding the pseudo narcotics have to be imported from the USA or Germany, under licence. As far as I am aware the only people in NSW that have these pseudo narcotics are the Police Dog Squad and the Customs Dogs Squad.

Sorry I cannot help you with any other information.