How Much Protein For Large Breed Puppy?

We have a new golden retriever puppy and looking to change his food from pedigree to a better quality food. I keep getting mixed messages on how much protein a large breed puppy should be getting? Some people suggest a adult food and others say a puppy food is better? What does everyone suggest?

If dry is your choice of feeding then a dry puppy food until at least 12 months old, your breed should be grown slow and lean so a large breed puppy food is best

We feed raw from day dot so others will be able to advise what they have found to be best , another suggestion is to ask your breeder for alternatives as they will often have tried a few brands and types of feeding over the years

12 months definately if feeding dry food is the minimum I'd be feeding puppy food for.

A lot of premium brands such as Hills, Eukanuba and I think Supercoat now have a large breed puppy range - might be worth looking into.

Good luck with your little bundle of joy :thumbsup:

Edited by Everythings Shiny

I'm not a fan of the Hills food for a Large breed. I'd be going for something like Eagle Pack Large/Giant Puppy.

Remember it's not just the protein you need to look at - it's the fat and more importantly, the calcium to phosphorus ratio. Most of the growth and joint problems which occur are usually from incorrect amounts of calcium/phosphorus or too many calories going in, which speed up growth and damage joints. Protein is necessary for muscle development in order to support Puppy while it grows.

I know a few people who raise their Danes on Euk Large Puppy and are very happy with the way they grow - I used that and Eagle Pack for Orbit (Dane) and were very happy with both.

Unfortunately however, both these brands are experiencing supply issues - Euk as of now is having problems and EP has been, but I believe they're expecting relief from this within a week or two.

I've compared quite a few the the large breed puppy food to the adult foods and they are almost identical. Is it worth it to me to buy two different bags of food? I've been feeding my GSD chicken and rice holistic select and they even suggest it can be given to puppies. I mean the cost isn't the issue, just didn't make a lot of sense to buy two bags when they are identical products. I had heard that puppies shouldn't be given over a certain amount of protein is why I asked the question.

My GSD does have raw mixed with her food, she doesn't really eat a lot of kibble, it's just a throw in for variety and sometimes when I'm in a rush to get to work in the morning it's easier. We've only gone through 2 of the medium sized bags in 6months with 2 dogs eating from the bags. So it's not a huge amount of processed dog food they are getting.

12 months definately if feeding dry food is the minimum I'd be feeding puppy food for.

A lot of premium brands such as Hills, Eukanuba and I think Supercoat now have a large breed puppy range - might be worth looking into.

Sorry to disagree but none of those are premium quality foods. I wouldn't feed any one of those brands of food to my dogs. Too many grains and fillers.

Sorry to disagree but none of those are premium quality foods. I wouldn't feed any one of those brands of food to my dogs. Too many grains and fillers.

Hills and Eukanuba are premium brands (supercoat isn't I realised after I posted)

Hills and Eukanuba are premium brands (supercoat isn't I realised after I posted)

Have you read the ingredient list on Hills and Euk? IMO they're no better in quality than the supermarket brands.

We had this discussion at work about Hills today. They call themselves premium but I wouldn't. Their prescription range is great and is invaluable in many situations but I wouldn't touch their Science Diet if you paid me. The ingredients are probably the worst of all the 'premiums'. I only found one that had a meat meal but it was 4th down the list after 4 different components of corn. The others just had poultry by product and again, after the corn.

Euk, well atleast they have a real meat listed, but we know its not really the number one ingredient after cooking and probably ends up only being a small proportion of the food - the rest being corn.

I know lots of Dane people who feed Euk Large Puppy and find it grows the Giant pups nicely so in that regard, I don't mind it. In terms of it, and Hills, being a premium pet food, maybe in the Industry, but not for my dog. He's a carnivore :eek:

Have you read the ingredient list on Hills and Euk? IMO they're no better in quality than the supermarket brands.

i think its that food is classed as

standard

premium and

super premium.

online hills and euk are in premium.

brands such as eaglepack, royal canin and artemis are generally classed super premium.

thats what i've found them categorised as on some websites.

People should NOT try to give extra calcium to growing large breed puppies, unless it's in the form of meaty bones, where the calcium to phos ratio is correct.

Exactly!!! Many people do more damage adding all these extras on top of feeding a premium food and unbalance it. I am a Euk feeder and have raised many large breed puppies on it without any problems.

Sticking with large breed formulas from Euk RC or EP should keep your puppy growning correctly.

People should NOT try to give extra calcium to growing large breed puppies, unless it's in the form of meaty bones, where the calcium to phos ratio is correct.

Can you provide me with more details as my breeder that I bought my akita from told me to feed eukanuba soaked in water with a good dollop of natural yoghurt.

Can you provide me with more details as my breeder that I bought my akita from told me to feed eukanuba soaked in water with a good dollop of natural yoghurt.

A bit of yogurt won't make a lot of difference. You should never add any other type of Calcium Supplement though. I have given yogurt to my dogs and do feed Euk.

A bit of yogurt won't make a lot of difference. You should never add any other type of Calcium Supplement though. I have given yogurt to my dogs and do feed Euk.

Yep - this.

Nothing wrong with adding a bit of natural yoghurt to feed - the cultures are great. I was just meaning that the concept of adding something for extra calcium is a no no with puppies already on a balanced diet. :birthday:

Rappie can confirm but the veterinary research I've read suggests that a minimum level of 15% protein and a maximum of about 32% is OK. The QUALITY of the protein matters more.

It isn't generally the level of protein (within reason) that creates growth issues but excess calcium or imbalances of calcium and phosphorus. The research I've read here suggests that a giant breed puppies diet should not exceed 50% RMBs.