Mouthing/biting Issues

cocoa

Millie is 14 weeks tomorrow.

We have been working on stopping biting/mouthing using "owww", removing hand and offering toys when possible, followed by ignoring/stopping play if it continued.

In the past few days we've had an issue with her biting while being held - as if she's figured that during play it stops us, so we'll stop restraining her if she bites. Usually she isn't released unless she is calm.

Example: Yesterday we drove to the beach (about three minutes, but too far for her to walk at the moment). We were in my husband's ute and I was holding her to prevent her getting under his feet. She started mouthing at my hands. I've read suggestions about applying pressure between tounge and jaw on here, and a freind has suggested it as well, so I tried this. Perhaps I didn't do it correctly, but the result was her biting me harder after I stopped.

She also tends to throw her head around with her jaw open and she got my husband on the nose with her teeth on Saturday and me on the lip this afternoon.

I am quite concerned about this. Does anyone have any thoughts on what we're doing wrong? Any ideas on things to try? She seems to have stopped any mouthing during play, just in these circumstances.

Any thoughts appreciated.

What breed is she?

Just try saying no, or whatever command you use to let her know you are unhappy. She is old enough to know by now when you are displeased.

Honestly, it can be hard to stop some gundogs as they tend to use their mouth to explore things and seem to be hardwired to have something in their mouths :)

Is it gentle mouthing?

I would be especially concerned if it was quite rough ie. hurts.

I would say no and put her in time out, when this is possible (obviously not possible in the car!).

They also tend to do this when they get excited so perhaps have a chew or a toy available for the car or when you know she is going to get excited.

Personally, although many disagree with this and it depends on the indiviual dogs personality, I don't mind mouthing if I initiate it (like when playing) and it is very gentle. I used to play with my aussie who was soo gentle and she would mouth me but NEVER went to bite anyone, I think they know the difference. Like Mindy will be soo gentle with little dogs and puppies and will be soo rough with pups her own size and age. With a more dominant or excitable dog this is not appropriate.

Good Luck, she is still only young, I'm sure you'll get things under control, it is one of those puppy things, that is especially pronounced in gundogs (especially labs, as i have found out recently!).

My own puppy learnt not to do this by us walking away from play or her going into time out and she was quite a little terror when we first got her home. She would actually latch onto our pants or shoes and if you went to pat her or play with her it would immediately be bitey bitey. She leanrt after about 2 weeks not to mouth us so much and now she doesn't attempt to mouth us at all.

Personally, although many disagree with this and it depends on the indiviual dogs personality, I don't mind mouthing if I initiate it (like when playing) and it is very gentle. I used to play with my aussie who was soo gentle and she would mouth me but NEVER went to bite anyone, I think they know the difference.

Yes many do disagree with this and I am one of them. I have a rule in this house, no canine teeth on human skin EVER. I discourage my puppies from mouthing as soon as they start doing it at around 5/6 weeks of age. When training puppies keep it as simple as possible, allowing pups to mouth at certain times and forbidding it at others can be very confusing, a bit like training your puppy to use pee pads or newspaper inside when you want them to go outside when they're older. Start as you mean to go on and never allow your puppy to do anything as a baby that you don't want it to do as an adult, these are both good rules to follow.

A dog has no need to mouth you aussielover and when one day the dog (god forbid) is under enough stress to panic you see the difference between a dog trained in no mouthing and one that is allowed to mouth. It can be mean a doctor visit or just a lot of noise.

In the past few days we've had an issue with her biting while being held - as if she's figured that during play it stops us, so we'll stop restraining her if she bites. Usually she isn't released unless she is calm.

Example: Yesterday we drove to the beach (about three minutes, but too far for her to walk at the moment). We were in my husband's ute and I was holding her to prevent her getting under his feet. She started mouthing at my hands. I've read suggestions about applying pressure between tounge and jaw on here, and a freind has suggested it as well, so I tried this. Perhaps I didn't do it correctly, but the result was her biting me harder after I stopped.

She also tends to throw her head around with her jaw open and she got my husband on the nose with her teeth on Saturday and me on the lip this afternoon.

You just have to be persistant when he is held now you have that ball rolling. How are you holding her? Some dogs dont like being on their backs. I find some food in a closed fist to distract the pup and reward as you go along can help the process be a little nicer then just a wrestling hold :rofl:

If the dog bites you again slip your thumb back under the tongue and press a little harder until she gives in. Dont say anything at all, ignore the dog but apply the correction. Remember to always praise if she doesnt bite you

As for throwing her head around, when she gets to that stage, get up, ignore the dog. Break the game. Dont give the pup any attention for stupidity.

The basics are generally:

bad behaviour - ignore if you can, or punish to the required level if you must to stop the behaviour

good behaviour - always show the dog what is good and reward for compliance A LOT!!!

people tend to be quick to punish without a lot or good rewards. Would you go to work with a boss that gave you lousy pay, little praise and pointed out everything you did wrong without showing you the right thing :rofl: neither will a dog. Good luck with the beagle!

My guess is she bit harder because she REALLY didn't like it. If you press harder, either she'll bite harder again, and then you'll have to press even harder until she gives up, or you can try something that she doesn't hate so much. A punishment that is too strong sometimes does more harm than good.

It's possible and not especially hard to teach them to be calm while being held with treats or even just with massage. I once saw a puppy that was so relaxed in its owners arms that it was practically limp. I asked them about it and they said when the puppy was 10 weeks old he was biting and kicking and carrying on every time they picked him up. They were taught to massage him a lot. Picking him up, massage him until he was calm, then put him down. They had to sit through the crazy struggles at first, but it only took them 10 days to go from a kicking, biting puppy to a limp and relaxed puppy. The trainer that taught them the technique said it would take longer for an older puppy.

You need to have your dog restrained using either a crate in the back of the ute or a harness. I'm pretty sure that it's against the law to have a dog loose in a car, it is in Victoria anyway.

Tahli bites when she is too excited and I walk away and ignore then after some time she comes to me calm and go from there.

She only does it to my hands, not anywhere else.

Then I will spend time trying to put my hands in front of her and move them around to see if she does anything, if she doesn't I praise and give her a treat. She is getting the point now.

I let it go on for some time and it got worse, now I am spending more time focusing on that, I don't think it's an instant fix you have to be persistant.

I'm no trainer though, just doing what seems to work for me.

Good luck with everything :confused:

Edited by adza_baby

I don't like to rough handle my dogs if they do something wrong I will provide a correction is needed via a leash snap even a prong collar but that whole grabbing her mouth thing doesn't seem right you are putting your hand where you don't want the dog to have it ,sounds like it could confuse the dog.

How I cured my akita from mouthing was simple. He mouthed he got put on a leash still inside the house and had his freedom restricted and he hated this with a passion and he soon stopped the behaviour.

As for sitting in the car i would hold the dog and treat once and a while to distract the dog from mouthing if you cause the dog discomfort in the car the dog is going to see the car as a negative thing and it will only get worse.

I don't like to rough handle my dogs if they do something wrong I will provide a correction is needed via a leash snap even a prong collar but that whole grabbing her mouth thing doesn't seem right you are putting your hand where you don't want the dog to have it ,sounds like it could confuse the dog.

How I cured my akita from mouthing was simple. He mouthed he got put on a leash still inside the house and had his freedom restricted and he hated this with a passion and he soon stopped the behaviour.

As for sitting in the car i would hold the dog and treat once and a while to distract the dog from mouthing if you cause the dog discomfort in the car the dog is going to see the car as a negative thing and it will only get worse.

We are going through the exact same problem with our 14 week old pup.

He is starting to slowly improve each week, and he is gundog so we think this plays a big part, and is also just a mouthy dog.

He's stopped biting me, but not my husband or friends.

What seems to work for me is, if he is on my lap and starts going crazy with his mouth open and head going everywhere trying to bit my hands, I hold him on my lap so he can see my face, and say in a stern voice 'stop that', and if he continues, i look at him in and say nooo noooo, and hold him strongly so he can't wiggle out and eventually he has started to get the idea. I also pat him a lot with my hands near his mouth and reward him when he doesn't bite!

Just some advice hopefully it works or helps you a little, I know how hard it is!!

didn't see this before.

I always team "ouch" with ignore - so she always loses if she bites.

If a dog grabs hold and I want them to let go and they don't when I say "ow" or "oi" - I push - gently but persistently. So far every dog has tried to spit me out.

If you play rough with dog eg the pinching thing - there is a good chance they will play rough back.

As for the biting to get away, when you're going to the beach and you have her in your lap, have a lead on her - a rig that she can't slip out of, so if she bites you to get away you can put her down safely but she doesn't get away or what she wants. Turning your back on her and ignoring for a few seconds, and if needed, putting your foot on the lead so she only has a short run may all help.