Canon Lens

Tibbiemax71

I am looking at getting the Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM lens. I found it on Ebay for $449 from an Australian seller, here is the link EBAY I just rang up my local camera shop, they have it for $650 but will do it for $599 for me, I told them about the ones on Ebay but he said that they wouldn't come with an Australian Warranty, I said that it says it does, but he said it wouldn't be a Canon warranty and if it had to be fixed it would have to be sent back overseas where it was imported from. He said also they could be "rebuilt" lenses.

Has anyone else bought from Ebay? If so do you know what sort of warranty it has and weather or not it was a rebuild? I am thinking there has to be some sort of a catch if it is $150 cheaper. :laugh:

Its even cheaper with them Kirislin!!

I send a message to the Ebay seller, he says the reason its cheaper is because he buys direct from the factory, cutting out the 3rd party, he said its a Canon Warranty and you take it to your local Canon repair center, I don't know where my local center would be though :laugh: He also said its a brand new lens, not a second etc. I will have to check where the repair center is that is closet to us, I am 3 hours from Melbourne, It would be a pain if I had to take it there if something went wrong.

I remember reading someone having a problem with a lens and the problems in sending to be fixed it said they eventually sent it to their closest Canon repair centre via registered post

I just laybyed my lens and it was $599.00 I was not brave enough to go with the overseas one

Edited by Firestone

Where did you get yours Kirislin?

Firestone, I know what you mean, I am thinking the same, would save a lot of stuffing around if I could just take it back to where I got it from if something went wrong, I "think" they said at the shop they have technicians there or one who comes there, I know where I got the camera (Joyce mayne) they told me that they do, so they can fix it without sending it off. It brings back memories actually when I had my Ricoh, I got it from Myer, took it back when something went wrong with it, they sent it away and courier lost it!! The did find it eventually, in the back of the truck, was months before I got it back though.

I send a message to the Ebay seller, he says the reason its cheaper is because he buys direct from the factory, cutting out the 3rd party, he said its a Canon Warranty and you take it to your local Canon repair center, I don't know where my local center would be though :laugh: He also said its a brand new lens, not a second etc. I will have to check where the repair center is that is closet to us, I am 3 hours from Melbourne, It would be a pain if I had to take it there if something went wrong.

I wonder if it's worth checking with Canon to see if they will cover these lenses under warranty. I would think they'd be able to tell you. As we know ebay sellers aren't always honest but it's one way of knowing for sure before you commit to it.

I wonder if it's worth checking with Canon to see if they will cover these lenses under warranty. I would think they'd be able to tell you. As we know ebay sellers aren't always honest but it's one way of knowing for sure before you commit to it.

Thats a good idea, I will give them a ring and see what they say.

Canon lenses have an international warranty on them - my 70-200mm 2.8 was bought overseas and when I was having a problem, I took it into canon (they're across the road from work) and they looked at it without asking me where I got it. As it turns out, there was nothing really wrong with it, it hadn't been used in a while so the autofocus motor was a bit sticky so it's now fine.

From what they told me, camera bodies are only covered in the country they were purchased from but the lenses are international.