Day Old Litter Male Not Seen To Be Suckling!

LizT

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your lovely thoughts.

Amazed at how attached one can get to a little fellow after three days. I was already thinking it ws going to be hard to let the little guy go and he would have to have THE BEST home.

The thud in the pit ofmy stomach is the same as when I had my 14 year old Shepherd P.T.S. There will be the tiniest little puppy resting besides him this evening.

Worst part is my 10 year old daughter went to camp yesterday and I've just written to her. Of course I didn't mention it. She will be so sad when she comes home. I know she'll understand though as we've talked alot about the possible outcomes of breeding her Bonnie. I thought it important to let her know the potential risks, without scaring her of course..

Sorry to hear of your loss. :confused: At least now mummy dog can focus on the girls and let them thrive.

Big hugs, thinking of you. :confused:

Yeah, you know she never once rejected him, always had him close to her side, under her wing, cleaned him and let him nuzzle her.

Strangely last night and this morning she was madly scratching at the Vetbed, like digging. Did she know he was dying and was trying to prepare a place to "hide" him? Or more likely hide him from me taking him all the time.

Sorry to hear of your loss. :thumbsup: At least now mummy dog can focus on the girls and let them thrive.

Big hugs, thinking of you. :laugh:

Yeah, you know she never once rejected him, always had him close to her side, under her wing, cleaned him and let him nuzzle her.

Strangely last night and this morning she was madly scratching at the Vetbed, like digging. Did she know he was dying and was trying to prepare a place to "hide" him? Or more likely hide him from me taking him all the time.

I'm sorry for your loss LizT...

More than likely she was very aware of his condition and in those last stages she was doing what she knew best. I had a similar experience, they know...

Always sad to lose a puppy but nature never intended for them all to survive. Full marks to the second vet for diagnosing the cleft. Most vets wouldn't know to look for a cleft in the soft palate and even if they do think to look, it often cannot be seen in a live puppy. Sometimes it is only found on autopsy as it isn't possible to open the mouth of a live puppy, far enough to see right to the back of the palate.

My vet did her PHD on puppy mortality and after doing 1000 autopsies on puppies that had died from a variety of reasons, found that clefts in the soft palate occured much more often than expected. Many of the affected puppies has failed to thrive and died in the first few days, but there was no diagnosis until the autopsy. I remember her giving lectures at breed clubs complete with the photos of the defects she found. Nothing like autopsy photos to make you feel like enjoying supper after the club meeting. :thumbsup:

Always sad to lose a puppy but nature never intended for them all to survive. Full marks to the second vet for diagnosing the cleft. Most vets wouldn't know to look for a cleft in the soft palate and even if they do think to look, it often cannot be seen in a live puppy. Sometimes it is only found on autopsy as it isn't possible to open the mouth of a live puppy, far enough to see right to the back of the palate.

My vet did her PHD on puppy mortality and after doing 1000 autopsies on puppies that had died from a variety of reasons, found that clefts in the soft palate occured much more often than expected. Many of the affected puppies has failed to thrive and died in the first few days, but there was no diagnosis until the autopsy. I remember her giving lectures at breed clubs complete with the photos of the defects she found. Nothing like autopsy photos to make you feel like enjoying supper after the club meeting. :)

Yes, Dancinbsc My vet said it was more common than many realise, often entire litters have it and appear to be suffering from a "failure to thrive" until, as you say post mortom checks are made.

When checking a newborn it is unlikely a Vet is going to pry it's delicate jaw open and Stick a light down it. They gently check for the more easily seen hole in the roof of the mouth. I had one breeder just tell me "she's never had one" but really, she has lost puppies that have "failed to thrive' or "struggled" but not had them checked out after they passed on. So who knows.

Interestingly, my recent research has shown that it is connected to a "mid-line" congenital deformity, where fissures remain open along the midline of the body, most probably occurring during early cell division of the embryo. Giving you such conditions as Cleft Palate, Spina Bifida and umbilical hernias.

Thankfully the girls are all doing well and getting rounder! :birthday:

My vet did her PHD on puppy mortality and after doing 1000 autopsies on puppies that had died from a variety of reasons, found that clefts in the soft palate occured much more often than expected. Many of the affected puppies has failed to thrive and died in the first few days, but there was no diagnosis until the autopsy. I remember her giving lectures at breed clubs complete with the photos of the defects she found. Nothing like autopsy photos to make you feel like enjoying supper after the club meeting. :)

Yes, Dancinbsc My vet said it was more common than many realise, often entire litters have it and appear to be suffering from a "failure to thrive" until, as you say post mortom checks are made.

When checking a newborn it is unlikely a Vet is going to pry it's delicate jaw open and Stick a light down it. They gently check for the more easily seen hole in the roof of the mouth. I had one breeder just tell me "she's never had one" but really, she has lost puppies that have "failed to thrive' or "struggled" but not had them checked out after they passed on. So who knows.

Interestingly, my recent research has shown that it is connected to a "mid-line" congenital deformity, where fissures remain open along the midline of the body, most probably occurring during early cell division of the embryo. Giving you such conditions as Cleft Palate, Spina Bifida and umbilical hernias.

Thankfully the girls are all doing well and getting rounder! :laugh:

Good research LizT that is indeed when deformities of the newborn occur also gastoschisis, undetermined sex in the genital organs, bifucated brain.