Benefits Of Taking Photos In Raw?

Kickss

So I hear (well, see...) alot of people talking about converting RAW photos, taking RAW photos

1. What does it mean?

2. What are the benefits?

3. Why do you do it?

and I've just finished installing Light room (YAY!) I also have normal Adobe PS, Photoscape and good old google born and raised Picasa, which i do most of my playing on at the moment.

I'd also like to raise a question that's probably been done before but!

I love the B&W photos with a splash of colour. How do I do that? I'm at a loss with my PS and picasa only does a small amount.

If I'm being a bother, just let me know?

Thanks guys!

THIS might help explain it :eek: For selective colour, using photoshop... the easy way is just to select the area you want to remain coloured... remembering to 'feather' it so you don't have a harsh outline... then go up to selections, and click on invert ,or whatever it says..to then SELECT the outside area :idea: now you desaturate that selected area.. save it all ... ....and I can't explain it properly. Go to Photoshop tutorials/help !! :oI haven't used photoshop for a couple of years... so have forgotten :laugh:

Basically if you enjoy the graphic design/artistic nature of photography then taking photos in RAW allows you to do stuff afterwards (its a little more than 'fixing' problems). However if you are not interested in that side of things and just want to take a photo jpeg is fine (as long as you get the exposure right). Some on here don't like jpegs in the long term and suggest saving the images as TIF (either way always make a backup copy).

Its a bit of a stuff around though to set up your photoshop so it can open and read RAW files but you only have to set it up once apparently.