Buying A Puppy On Breeders Terms

jpandkt08

Hi there everyone,

I am Kristie and I'm new here to the forums.

Hubby and I are picking up our 8wk old Bernese Mt dog pup over the weekend and we are buying him on breeders terms.

Does anyone know what sort of things we can expect to be signing in the contract? The breeder hasnt guaranteed that we wil

Before agreeing to buy a pup on breeders terms I would be having a long and detailed discussion with the breeder about what their expectations of the arrangement are. Will he be available to others to use and if so who will get the stud fee? Will they want to use him often?

We got our female Berner on breeders terms - essentially she will have one litter of pups & if the litter is 4 or more, we will get either a pup or the price of a pup. Breeder pays for all the costs associated with the pregnancy, and will only try to mate her twice - if it doesn't take after that, no more :kissbetter: Obviously would be different for a boy though...

That being said, we havea great relationship with our breeder & were aware of these terms prior to picking up our pup....

Before agreeing to buy a pup on breeders terms I would be having a long and detailed discussion with the breeder about what their expectations of the arrangement are. Will he be available to others to use and if so who will get the stud fee? Will they want to use him often?

Yes I agree we probably should have made certain of the terms before we agreed to buy him. The breeder is a 2/5hr drive away so we'll be sure to sit down before any money is handed over and get it all in writing. She has agreed that if we ever purchased a female that we are allowed to use him as stud, and for anybody else we agree to let him be used. She seems fairly reasonable but its just hard to know exactly what we should be asking for in return.

We got our female Berner on breeders terms - essentially she will have one litter of pups & if the litter is 4 or more, we will get either a pup or the price of a pup. Breeder pays for all the costs associated with the pregnancy, and will only try to mate her twice - if it doesn't take after that, no more :laugh: Obviously would be different for a boy though...

That being said, we havea great relationship with our breeder & were aware of these terms prior to picking up our pup....

We went to meet the breeder a while ago, she is one of only 2 here in QLD so there wasnt a lot of choice either but I feel she is quite nice and very professional. She did say that for a female on terms we could arrange a pup for 1/2 price but she didnt say anything about for the male. She has a lot in QLD out on breeders terms, and she said that she hasnt even seen more than half of those since they were sold. She said she just likes to have the option there if need be. I just wasnt sure, I mean we took him on terms in the hopes that we would be able to have another pup either free or the price of one as you mentioned. But if we have to drive there and back to take him to her, there and back when we pick him up, and we get nothing from it I feel it seems pointless to take him on terms...??

It was a bit weird, as after we visited her the first time around May we decided to put a deposit down and did so in July. She had one litter already and 2 females pregnant when we were there. I contacted her via email to let her know about our deposit but did not hear that there was a pup available until last week when she contacted me to say that if we took a male on terms we could have him this weekend. So I was excited to be getting him but just annoyed that we didnt have more notice to say if or when one would be available.

So I dont know... I do want him, as there is a long wait otherwise and I have contacted a lot of other breeders in NSW & VIC but nobody is breeding or has puppies.