Oh No!

PoppyDog

I think Poppy has fleas!!! :rofl:

She has NEVER had fleas.

I treated her with her monthly flea, worm and heartworm chew on the 1st of Sept and then we went to the coast. I think she has got them while we were there!

On Sunday I was giving her a cuddle and noticed a black thing crawling on her belly. I picked it off and killed it and thought maybe it was a bug. I've never seen fleas before.

Then today I noticed another black bug on her tummy but it jumped out of sight before I could kill it so now I'm wondering was the thing I saw on Sunday also a flea???

What can I use to treat her since I gave her the Sentinal Spectrum only 10 days ago? I've read about capstar tablets? Should I use that? Or a spot on treatment? She is due for a bath so I'm thinking maybe the tablet is a better idea! Help!!!

Capstar. Immediate relief.

Thanks! So I can give her Capstar this afternoon and then wash her on the weekend?

And I've read to give it outside because the fleas literally die and fall off? Is that right?

My poor Pop's! I feel like a bad Mummy! :eek::rofl:

Are fleas more prevelant in coastal areas? The two BC's we spent the day with are outside dogs so I wonder if this makes them more suseptable to fleas and thats how she got them???

Oh and where can I get Capstar? Supermarket?

Edited by PoppyDog

You can get Capstar at vet, pet shop, supermarket- but Supermarket is the cheapest.

It works within 30 mins to kill the fleas for 24 hours. You can wash the dog without affecting the efficacy.

You may need to bomb your house and use capstar for a few days if the fleas have established themselves.

You can get Capstar at vet, pet shop, supermarket- but Supermarket is the cheapest.

It works within 30 mins to kill the fleas for 24 hours. You can wash the dog without affecting the efficacy.

You may need to bomb your house and use capstar for a few days if the fleas have established themselves.

Thanks. I'm hoping they haven't set up shop in our house! But might bomb it anyway...can't hurt right?

It won't ruin the carpet or anything will it? Coz we're in a rental?

I can get the bombs from the supermarket too can't I?

Flea bombs use toxic chemicals so I wouldnt use one unless you really need to.

You may be lucky and the Capstar and your topical treatment may do the trick.

But yes, you can get bombs from the supermarket and they shouldnt damage the carpet. :rofl:

if it's been wet and humid fleas will come.

when there was a plague of them I tried everything to get rid of them. Onslow was being treated every second week but to no avail. I fleabombed the house and changed the spot on I was using. This worked. But this was a plague not one or two!

I hadn't heard of Capstar then.

Sentinel stops the fleas breeding so should stop any that have bitten her from breeding. It won't stop her picking them up though. I've used Sentinel for years and been very happy with it but I do notice if the neighbours dogs have fleas mine end up with them too :rofl:

Flea bombs use toxic chemicals so I wouldnt use one unless you really need to.

You may be lucky and the Capstar and your topical treatment may do the trick.

But yes, you can get bombs from the supermarket and they shouldnt damage the carpet. :hug:

Okay, will try the capstar first and hold off on the bombs. :D

if it's been wet and humid fleas will come.

when there was a plague of them I tried everything to get rid of them. Onslow was being treated every second week but to no avail. I fleabombed the house and changed the spot on I was using. This worked. But this was a plague not one or two!

I hadn't heard of Capstar then.

It has been wet and humid here! Gawd I hope we don't have a plague of them! Poppy is very much an indoor girl and I don't want fleas in the house!!! :kissbetter:

Sentinel stops the fleas breeding so should stop any that have bitten her from breeding. It won't stop her picking them up though. I've used Sentinel for years and been very happy with it but I do notice if the neighbours dogs have fleas mine end up with them too :hug:

Oh thats good! So if she has caught them from the BC's we spent the day with over the weekend then they shouldn't breed?

Thanks Rachie! :hug:

I've only seen one on her. Well 2 but I managed to kill the other.

And I tried looking for more in her coat but couldn't see any. So I'm really hoping I've caught them early!

She sleeps on our bed and everything so we don't want a flea infested dog!

I noticed her scratching a bit the last few days but I thought it was because she was due for a bath! :kissbetter:

Got her some Capstar from Woolies. Didn't realise there were 6 tablets! Very economic! :laugh:

I gave it to her and then gave her a thigh chicken piece to chew on outside. But then I read it said on the box to give with a small piece of dogs favourite treat. Hope this won't effect how it works?

Got her some Capstar from Woolies. Didn't realise there were 6 tablets! Very economic! :eek:

I gave it to her and then gave her a thigh chicken piece to chew on outside. But then I read it said on the box to give with a small piece of dogs favourite treat. Hope this won't effect how it works?

Shouldn't. I would treat with capstar once every week for 4 weeks, just in case you have any hitchhikers that laid eggs in your carpet/floorboards/couch.