Reputable Breeders?

PoppyDog

Nope and nope ...

Lots of breeders have more than one breed, some breed each breed, others might focus on one or two and exhibit the others. It's not the number of dog or breeds you have, it's how you take care of them, your goals and the care you take in placing the pups in the best homes possible.

Ask breeders with more than a couple of bitches and they'll tell you that the majority of the cycle at the same time and if you've got three, you may well find yourself making the decision to mate all three at once. It's also easier to care for more than one litter at a time.

Nope and nope ...

Lots of breeders have more than one breed, some breed each breed, others might focus on one or two and exhibit the others. It's not the number of dog or breeds you have, it's how you take care of them, your goals and the care you take in placing the pups in the best homes possible.

Ask breeders with more than a couple of bitches and they'll tell you that the majority of the cycle at the same time and if you've got three, you may well find yourself making the decision to mate all three at once. It's also easier to care for more than one litter at a time.

Thanks! :laugh:

This finding a reputable breeder thing is a bit of a mind field for the average Jo! :):)

I wasn't sure if these two things were big no no's!

I think it's more important HOW a breeder does things, rather than WHAT they do IYKWIM.

An breeder could have 20 dogs of 4 different breeds, with litters a few times a year and be ethical - as long as the dogs are given individual attention, exercised, housed appropriately, cared for etc. Whereas another breeder with 2 dogs of the same breed, who have a litter once a year could be very unethical - don't heath test, don't care who they're sold to, treat them like stock etc.

I think it's more important HOW a breeder does things, rather than WHAT they do IYKWIM.

An breeder could have 20 dogs of 4 different breeds, with litters a few times a year and be ethical - as long as the dogs are given individual attention, exercised, housed appropriately, cared for etc. Whereas another breeder with 2 dogs of the same breed, who have a litter once a year could be very unethical - don't heath test, don't care who they're sold to, treat them like stock etc.

I agree with this to.

IMO three breeds is about the maximum anyone can successfully breed at the same time. Keeping up with what is going on within the breed gets too hard after that. There are a few breeders who are very highly regarded with three breeds but I can't think of anyone with more than that. Some have had other breeds in the past or still show another breed or two but three seems to be the upper limit for actually breeding at once, to get it right.

Breeding three or four litters at the same time is not unusual either because many breeders need to take time off work to breed, so get it all over and done together for the year. If however they have 3 litters every month, that is a different matter. Most show breeders average 1-4 litters per year, depending on the size of the breed and therefore the litters. Toy breeders that only get small litters tend to have more litters so it is all relative. Breeders of true working dogs may also have more litters to meet demand.

IMO three breeds is about the maximum anyone can successfully breed at the same time. Keeping up with what is going on within the breed gets too hard after that. There are a few breeders who are very highly regarded with three breeds but I can't think of anyone with more than that. Some have had other breeds in the past or still show another breed or two but three seems to be the upper limit for actually breeding at once, to get it right.

Breeding three or four litters at the same time is not unusual either because many breeders need to take time off work to breed, so get it all over and done together for the year. If however they have 3 litters every month, that is a different matter. Most show breeders average 1-4 litters per year, depending on the size of the breed and therefore the litters. Toy breeders that only get small litters tend to have more litters so it is all relative. Breeders of true working dogs may also have more litters to meet demand.

Thanks for the info. :)

Does the breeders website having information about why to avoid DD's, pet shops and puppy famrs/mills point towards an ethical and reputable breeder?

Are websites a good place to start of can you only gain so much from them?

Does the breeders website having information about why to avoid DD's, pet shops and puppy famrs/mills point towards an ethical and reputable breeder?

Websites are a good starting point, but a schmick website doesn't mean a good breeder. What is in the shop window isn't necessarily what is behind the counter.

A breeder can say ANYTHING on their website, but it doesn't mean that they believe them. Many will say what they think people EXPECT them to say.

If you've been reading any of the threads in General recently, there is mention there of a breeder saying one thing on her website but apparently practicing differenly in real life.

The best thing you can do is to meet the breeders, at the least talk to them on the phone. Establish a rapport with them and use your intuition to decide whether or not you believe in them.

Websites are a good starting point, but a schmick website doesn't mean a good breeder. What is in the shop window isn't necessarily what is behind the counter.

A breeder can say ANYTHING on their website, but it doesn't mean that they believe them. Many will say what they think people EXPECT them to say.

If you've been reading any of the threads in General recently, there is mention there of a breeder saying one thing on her website but apparently practicing differenly in real life.

The best thing you can do is to meet the breeders, at the least talk to them on the phone. Establish a rapport with them and use your intuition to decide whether or not you believe in them.

I think I know the thread or should I say threads you are referring to in the Genral section!

I hope that doesn't happen too often! :)

I do have a breeder on my FB who is also heavily involved in showing and with the QLD club for that breed. She also lives close to me so she seems like a perfect fit but I don't know if she has any more litters planned for this year...

I don't get the rationale behind seeing it as OK for the Toy breeders to have more litters than everyone else, because they have smaller numbers.

Two reasons I can think of.

First the small numbers mean that they are not producing more puppies than they can find really good homes for by having say 6 litters of one or two in a year. That only adds up to a total of about 12 puppies for the year. Plenty of the larger breeds can have this many in one litter. 6 litters of two is a big difference in puppies produced to 6 litters of 10-12 in a large breed. Every puppy needs individual attention so the more the total number of puppies, the less time each one gets. Producing large total numbers also means you have to be less fussy about the homes they go to. Finding ten really good homes in a year is a lot easier than trying to find 60. You might be able to sell that number of puppies but are they really the best homes possible

Second, if you are breeding to try to get the very best to go on with and show you need a few to choose from unless you are very lucky. Sometimes a singleton puppy can be just what you are after but in an average breed size litter of 6 - 8 the odds are that you will only get one really good puppy. For a Toy breeder to have 6-8 puppies to choose from they may need 3-4 litters to achieve this.

I don't get the rationale behind seeing it as OK for the Toy breeders to have more litters than everyone else, because they have smaller numbers.

I don't think its a case of more litters overall its more having them at the same time.

Expecting litter sizes of 1 to 3 on average I mated 3 girls at the same time. One did not get pregnant.

As I start toilet & lead training plus baths, brush & clip at 5/6 weeks I honestly don't think I could manage it with say 3 litters of a big breed. Depends if you have a lot of help too I guess.

re answer to original post.

Depends on the breeder. You can only go visit & judge for yourself if you are happy with the standards & care.

I breed & show 3 cat breeds however they are all allowed to be bred to each other, siamese, oriental & balinese, being the same breed with variation only in coat & pattern so it is easy to keep up with what is going on in the bred & shows.

A website is as good as the breeder makes it, certainly not gospel.

Research & visit.

I think I know the thread or should I say threads you are referring to in the Genral section!

I do have a breeder on my FB who is also heavily involved in showing and with the QLD club for that breed. She also lives close to me so she seems like a perfect fit but I don't know if she has any more litters planned for this year...

Breeders heavily involved with their breed club are usually a good place to start. Most get involved with a breed club because they wish to do what is best for the breed. also if she doesn't have any litters planned, she can probably recommend someone else that does.

Breeders heavily involved with their breed club are usually a good place to start. Most get involved with a breed club because they wish to do what is best for the breed. also if she doesn't have any litters planned, she can probably recommend someone else that does.

Oh goody! I've sent her a PM on FB to ask if she has any litters planned. I really want someone close by so I can go visit my puppy she he/she grows. I wonder though if breeders allow that? Hmm...

Oh goody! I've sent her a PM on FB to ask if she has any litters planned. I really want someone close by so I can go visit my puppy she he/she grows. I wonder though if breeders allow that? Hmm...

I wouldnt allow it.. No one comes and see's the pups till they have their first shots of needles

Edited by TeamSnag

Thanks for the info. :D

I hope that doesn't happen too often! :laugh:

I wouldnt allow it.. No one comes and see's the pups till they have their first shots of needles

That makes sense. One website I looked at mentioned that they liked and encourage new owners to visit their puppies. But maybe they meant after their first jabs?

PoppyDog, some breeders will allow visits and some will not. There is not a right or wrong, just whatever that particular breeder feels comfortable with, and as a puppy person, we would all respect their wishes.

If you raise the question with your prospective breeder in an open and friendly manner, I am sure they will happily let you know how they prefer to do things.

My guess is with that wording they may allow earlier visits prior to vaccinations, but no way of knowing without asking :laugh:

Best of luck with your search.

Edited by dyzney