Excessive Licking...

pip1981

Hi Guys, just wanted to ask for advice/opinions on a little problem we have at the moment.

Dakota has always done a lot of paw cleaning, especially as a nighttime ritual, but over the last week, we've noticed the licking is more excessive, and she's licking mainly the lower front areas of her front legs. Furthermore, I just noticed yesterday that it seems either her licking has caused some hair loss in these areas, or something that's causing her to lick is also causing hair loss I guess...

She did get into a bad habit of licking these areas in October last year after having drips/injections in both legs, and this caused a skin irritation which was treated. Is it possible she has just returned to this habit as a behavioural thing rather than a medical reason? I only ask because I can't see anything on her skin that looks unusual at all.

If it continues, I will be sure to visit the vet, just thought I'd ask in here as a first port of call.

Thanks in advance. :rofl:

we have a 5 y.o. male jrt who licks his paws constantly - we have tried everything to stop him including a collar, expensive diets - all to no avail. He is also on (1/4)cortisone tablet daily.

we have changed his diet, bathed his feet incase it was an irritant and constantly tell him to stop licking.

we are have a home office so are home all day nearly everyday - our other JRT does not lick her feet.

it absolute frustion last week I bought a home brand chest rub - like vicks but heaps cheaper. I have been putting smear on his feet to deter the licking and it appears to be helping as he doesn't like the smell. And yes I am keeping a watch for adverse reactions

Hopefully we can finally break the cycle

Have a vet check first though

Orbit gives himself lick granulomas often - mostly due to allergy but sometimes stress. The latest one came up a day after I started ignoring him, poor little man :rofl:

Sometimes they lick those areas if they're sore, eg arthritis in the wrist joint etc. I use a cortisone based cream for a couple of days and wrap it with a bandage at times when he's most likely to want to lick it.

I have the same problem with smooch, tried the E collar and all he did with that was keep bashing it into my leg. The problem is that Smooch only licks when he is relaxed but not when he is under stress. I finally decided on a plastic muzzle which he wares to bed of a night. After 3 years I finally got it healed, left the muzzle off one night and he has started it all over again.

Get the vet check and good luck with it.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for you helpful comments.

I will definitely keep it all in mind, and refer back to this thread if need be.

Funny thing is, I haven't seen her lick once tonight!

I will however, be keeping a close eye on her, and if it continues, off to the vet we go....

Thanks again :eek:

Souff reached the end of the tether with a phobic licker last week. Diet had been changed, no grass problems, all bases covered but it was driving me crazy. What may have started out as a physical problem had become a total obsession and it sure was leading to worse physical problems for her poor feet.

I sprayed her feet with WoundGard and she has now decided that licking is not her favourite pastime.

Souff

• 2 weeks later...

Just updating...

The licking did continue, so on Thursday, at the Royal Melbourne Show, I purchased a product called 'Bitter Taste Fast Acting ChewStop Spray' by 'Bio-Groom'.

I sprayed it on all of the affected areas yesterday, and there has been noticeable improvement already! I tasted it myself, and oh my dog, it would certainly stop me from licking!! Ewwwww.