Border Collie

Guest Kate_Summer

I have a smooth working BC. I don't know if you are after less shedding or easier care coat, but they shed like CRAZY :thumbsup::dancingelephant:

A friend here has a collie that is known as a new zealand bc? he is larger (much), smooth, and has some tan bits and is gorgeous, I have a pic somewhere as I often look after him. He behaves just like a BC.

Huntaways are lovely :rofl:

I'm fairly sure :) none of these are recognised.

A lady at our obedience club has a dog she calls a NZ border collie. She got him from the pound. He doesn't look like the BC's here, not even the smooth ones, he has a completely smooth, very short coat, a smaller face with a rounder muzzle and he has quite a light frame. About BC height though. She said when she went to NZ for a holiday, she saw ones like him everywhere.

Recently she got a puppy of the same breed......apparently from a breeder in Tas. She said it took her ages to find someone that bred them, but the pup looks just like her other dog.

that sounds like it gayle, the one I care for (and I must rake out a pic!!) is actually rather largish, Id guess in the high 20s kg, maybe 28 kg or so? and he has a round skull and nose, not so 'foxy', and colouring on his face like your dusty (His name is rusty!! :) ) I know they are a sort of breed as there are many around exactly like him and everyone just calls them a NZ strain of BC. :rofl:

They are not a Heading dog, as far as I know, they are different. NZ seems to have several home grown herders/workers, all really lovely. :dancingelephant:

They would be considered a type of heading dog, Kelpies, ACD's, Aussies, BC's are all "heading dogs" of some sort. If you google heading dog, you'll get pics that look like the dogs at obedience.

They are gorgeous looking dogs, I would have one in a heartbeat if I didn't have Aussies. And yes, these ones are the same colour and markings as Dusty. Highly intelligent too.

They would be considered a type of heading dog, Kelpies, ACD's, Aussies, BC's are all "heading dogs" of some sort. If you google heading dog, you'll get pics that look like the dogs at obedience.

They are gorgeous looking dogs, I would have one in a heartbeat if I didn't have Aussies. And yes, these ones are the same colour and markings as Dusty. Highly intelligent too.

That is true, but when NZ farmers talk about a heading dog, they're generally referring to a specific type of border collie bred for NZ farm conditions. Just a little quirk of language, I guess. We do use Kelpies, ACD, although I have seen them used mostly on cattle, but they wouldn't be called a heading dog. :rofl:

This sums it up pretty well:

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/farm-dogs/1