Border Collie

Guest Kate_Summer

Show-bred Border Collies generally have a medium-long coat. However working Border Collies come in smooth and long coats. There is quite a bit of variation in the coat of pedigree BCs though so sometimes you get a pup with a shorter coat or a super fluffy one, etc.

The ANKC breed standard specifies "Double coated, with a moderately long, dense, medium textured topcoat while the undercoat is short, soft and dense, making a weather resisting protection, with abundant coat to form mane, breeching and brush" but short coats are eligible for shows in NZ and some other countries, but it would be rare to see one in a showring. The non-ANKC working Border Collies come in a variety of coats from smooth to medium/long.

Even the smooth coated BCs have a double coat more like the coat you see on a labrador or german shepherd. You do see the rare ones with a very fine coat but not very many. Smooth coated BCs still need the water/weather proofing a double coat gives and still shed the coat the same way the long haired ones do.

I have a smooth working BC. I don't know if you are after less shedding or easier care coat, but they shed like CRAZY :rofl::rofl:

A friend here has a collie that is known as a new zealand bc? he is larger (much), smooth, and has some tan bits and is gorgeous, I have a pic somewhere as I often look after him. He behaves just like a BC.

Huntaways are lovely :rofl:

I'm fairly sure :rofl: none of these are recognised.

A friend here has a collie that is known as a new zealand bc? he is larger (much), smooth, and has some tan bits and is gorgeous, I have a pic somewhere as I often look after him. He behaves just like a BC.

AKA a heading dog? They normally come in short coats, are bred to work, & aren't normally kennel club registered. Lovely dogs.

Huntaways are lovely too, but are bred to bark all day, so not always suitable for a suburban property. :rofl:

Guest Kate_Summer

Can anyone put pics of their smooth BC?

Busterlove, isnt yours a Koolie?

ETA: Thanks for all infos given, very usefull :) I had read the ANKC description but came across short hair BC(which isnt on ANKC) & thought that it couldnt be right :) now I know they do really exist :laugh:

Edited by Kate_Summer

I was looking at koolies aswell but was originally looking for a BC, decided to just keep looking and wait for the right puppy to turn up and it was her.

Heres a couple more pics of her but she's still only a baby.

2-6.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

9-4.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg