Training Not To Pull

I've always used the, we don't go anywhere while the lead is tight, method. I have a damaged shoulder from my previous dog yanking on the end of the lead when she saw other dogs that were running around loose. No amount of lead pops on a choker collar stopped her from doing it & I was taught the correct way of using it.

Even though Tilba is nearly 3 she doesn't pull me down the street & if she tries I stop & remind her that we don't go anywhere if she pulls me. Dogs are opportunists & will at least give it a try on at times.

Here's another method you could try.

Leash pops when a dog lunges to the end of the leash in that example isn't the correct way to use the check chain and the reason why it didn't work IMHO. The moment the dog moves forward in reaction to seeing another dog, the leash is lifted straight up to administer and air block which stops them :o

Fiona :laugh:

I've always used the, we don't go anywhere while the lead is tight, method. I have a damaged shoulder from my previous dog yanking on the end of the lead when she saw other dogs that were running around loose. No amount of lead pops on a choker collar stopped her from doing it & I was taught the correct way of using it.

Even though Tilba is nearly 3 she doesn't pull me down the street & if she tries I stop & remind her that we don't go anywhere if she pulls me. Dogs are opportunists & will at least give it a try on at times.

Here's another method you could try.

Funny you posted that link as Emily Larlham is my inspiration and I watch her videos all the time and they are the methods I want to use. I just need more practice really. She is so great though :confused:

My question is - while they are still learning this, can I take them for a walk where I actually want to get both dogs to where we are going such as the beach?? They pull all the way and then are only rewarded by getting where they want to go.

The suggestion I make is that, at some point on your walk, you stop and clip the leash to the flat collar and spend some time practising disciplined, consistent loose leash walking. You would begin this with each dog separately at first.

I would have to agree - teaching your dogs seperately to walk nicely should continue, however I see no reason why you can't also enjoy a lovely walk to the beach - without having your arms off. So investing in either a harness or gentle leader would be my advice. And like Aidan2 said try periods where one dog is given the opportunity to 'not pull' by putting on a regular lead for a period of time. If they misbehave, then straight back onto the harness/gentle leader.

I did this with one of the dogs that I was looking after - he was shocking on the lead. Got soooo excited about going somewhere anywhere :confused:) but HATED the gentle leader with a passion. Didn't take long for him to work it out, by the time he left he was walking beautifully on the lead.

Good luck!

Thank you, I am doing thise, got the gentle leader, which is helping for our walks. And meanwhile I have cut back on the group walks, using the older, dirtier car to take them to the beach all together, and doing my training sessions with one dog at a time. Its all helping :confused:

I will do that. it will be a challenge as when I leave behind my older dog, she really makes me feel guilty. And when I leave behind the young one, he really carries on, screaming after the older dog. So, just another thing I have to work on!

If you're feeling emotions like that this is probably why you're having problems. Seperation anxiety is also usually caused by the owner due to mis-interpreted pack dynamics.

I would probably reccomend you start learning and implenting Leadership before you start your training.

Sorry Sas but I don't think this is always (or even usually) the case.

Sometimes separation anxiety is caused by the dog being an anxious and frustrated dog. It is easy to try and lay the responsibility for separation anxiety on the handler, and I know this is a common conclusion that people draw, but I think it can be misleading and make people waste a lot of time on guilt.

Some dogs are more anxious than others. As a handler, it is quite likely that you didn't cause this. You do need to know how to manage it, but Leadership is only a part of the equation. Knowing your dog's current limits is also an important part of the equation.

Pushing them too hard can often increase their anxiety issues, so it's 'one step at a time' in my opinion.

ETA: big fan of harnesses here too. Enjoy the beach and keep training loose leash walking in more controlled (calm) environments. Then gradually you can generalise loose leash walking to more exciting environments (like the beach) and situations (like when the other dog is also alongside). But to try to string all those things together at this stage of your training is just not going to work. In the meantime use a harness in these situations to keep things under control.

Edited by Zug Zug

I will do that. it will be a challenge as when I leave behind my older dog, she really makes me feel guilty. And when I leave behind the young one, he really carries on, screaming after the older dog. So, just another thing I have to work on!

If you're feeling emotions like that this is probably why you're having problems. Seperation anxiety is also usually caused by the owner due to mis-interpreted pack dynamics.

I would probably reccomend you start learning and implenting Leadership before you start your training.

Sorry Sas but I don't think this is always (or even usually) the case.

Sometimes separation anxiety is caused by the dog being an anxious and frustrated dog. It is easy to try and lay the responsibility for separation anxiety on the handler, and I know this is a common conclusion that people draw, but I think it can be misleading and make people waste a lot of time on guilt.

Some dogs are more anxious than others. As a handler, it is quite likely that you didn't cause this. You do need to know how to manage it, but Leadership is only a part of the equation. Knowing your dog's current limits is also an important part of the equation.

Pushing them too hard can often increase their anxiety issues, so it's 'one step at a time' in my opinion.

ETA: big fan of harnesses here too. Enjoy the beach and keep training loose leash walking in more controlled (calm) environments. Then gradually you can generalise loose leash walking to more exciting environments (like the beach) and situations (like when the other dog is also alongside). But to try to string all those things together at this stage of your training is just not going to work. In the meantime use a harness in these situations to keep things under control.

It's ok, you don't have to be sorry ;)

The majority of dogs I have worked with who have seperation anxiety have been due to problems with the dog mis-understanding its' place in home.

Absolutely there are dogs that are more anxious than others, this can be helped to some extent by correctly managing them and treating them appropriately.

I agree Seperation Anxiety to often diagnosed as the core problem when it's not, however I'm referring to true seperation anxiety and drawing on experiences I have had with a number of different dogs exhibiting it.

Your experiences may be different and that's totally ok too.