Help! Statistics On Unwanted Puppies/whelping Costs?

Amanda&Dan

So, my SIL has a cocker spaniel bitch, who, despite my repeated suggestions, hasn't had her desexed. Just now I saw a post she'd put up on Facebook saying that she really wants her dog to have a litter of pups so that a part of her will live on, and does anyone know of an entire dog that wants to breed? :(

As the title suggests, does anyone know of any articles or statistics on unwanted puppies, or possible costs relating to complicated deliveries? It's the only thing I can think of that might change her mind.

Please no unhelpful posts, I know how stupid it is that she wants to breed her dog, just because she's a 'nice' dog.

Is the cocker registered? if so it might be worth contacting the registry or the breeder and letting them know what she is planning, at least they can try and educate her on the difficulties of breeding and the ethical side of breeding for the sake of breeding, if they cant convince her to not breed they might be able to convince her to look for a nice stud to breed her 'nice' bitch to

Is the cocker registered? if so it might be worth contacting the registry or the breeder and letting them know what she is planning, at least they can try and educate her on the difficulties of breeding and the ethical side of breeding for the sake of breeding, if they cant convince her to not breed they might be able to convince her to look for a nice stud to breed her 'nice' bitch to

Thanks GG, but I'm pretty sure it's not registered.

GoldenGirl, that's all pie in the sky and none of the canine councils will make a personal call or do such things.

Maybe she could start researching how much an emergency caesarian might cost... just in case the "nice" male she finds throws large pups... the cost is pretty offputting.

Then you could take her to the local pound and get them to tell her what normally happens to "nice" pups once they aren't so cute and young any more... especially if she is planning to sell them to strangers...

Find some Cocker breeders' numbers from here on DOL, and get her to call them and ask about what it's like to have a litter of pups and raise them to be happy and healthy dogs... and how to select bloody good homes for them.

T.

I hope she sees some sense and doesn't go ahead with it. I did all the right things with my bitch, I even kept a diary from day one of her pregnancy and used to write everything in there. I realised something was wrong about 4 days before she was due to whelp but I couldn't convince the vet. She just thought I was being obsessive and worrying for nothing.

Things went very very wrong and I nearly lost my beautiful bitch and all the puppies. She had an emergency caesar and spey and was in intensive care for 3 days while I was left with a box of 8 puppies to hand raise. And all this was while I was paying attention. Things can and do go very wrong.

I ended up about $2000 out of pocket even after selling the puppies, so I hope she's not assuming she'll make some money out of it. She might, but she better be prepared for the worst to happen as well.

GoldenGirl, that's all pie in the sky and none of the canine councils will make a personal call or do such things.

Worded it wrong, I meant that the breeder might do that not the CC, if they knew what she was planning to do with the pup they bred, but if she isnt registered then I guess its a no go anyway

Maybe she could start researching how much an emergency caesarian might cost... just in case the "nice" male she finds throws large pups... the cost is pretty offputting.

Then you could take her to the local pound and get them to tell her what normally happens to "nice" pups once they aren't so cute and young any more... especially if she is planning to sell them to strangers...

Find some Cocker breeders' numbers from here on DOL, and get her to call them and ask about what it's like to have a litter of pups and raise them to be happy and healthy dogs... and how to select bloody good homes for them.

T.

Yeah good idea.

So, my SIL has a cocker spaniel bitch, who, despite my repeated suggestions, hasn't had her desexed. Just now I saw a post she'd put up on Facebook saying that she really wants her dog to have a litter of pups so that a part of her will live on, and does anyone know of an entire dog that wants to breed? :(

As the title suggests, does anyone know of any articles or statistics on unwanted puppies, or possible costs relating to complicated deliveries? It's the only thing I can think of that might change her mind.

Please no unhelpful posts, I know how stupid it is that she wants to breed her dog, just because she's a 'nice' dog.

She needs to be aware that cockers can have nasty hidden recessive genes that can produce kidney disease that will kill a pup anytime from birth up to two years old. ARHN (Autosomal Recessive Hereditary Nephropathy) can be tested for and NEEDS to be tested for, and another nasty occasionally seen in cockers is Renal Dysplasia, which CANNOT be tested for in Aus, therefore a thorough knowledge of health in the lines behind both sire and dam is essential.

There is also PRA in cockers, and the parents MUST be tested for this as well prior to breeding, otherwise the pups she will be producing could go blind by the time they are 5-6 years old.

Ask her what she will do if she sells a pup to someone, and they come back a bit down the track upset and angry because their pup has endured months of pain and expensive treatment for a hereditary disease that could have been prevented with testing.

Could be a whole lot more trouble than just an empty wallet following a caesarian.