Martin Clunes: Life With Dogs

Brennan's Mum

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think the incidence of both SM and MVD is increasing due to puppy farms and registered BYB who haven't done their homework.

Yes, a breed label alone is not sufficient to reach overall conclusions in any investigations about genetic problems. The source needs to be factored in, too.

One UK move I like is how their law re the breeding & sale of dogs, mandates that each puppy is assigned a number, allowing tracking & accountability, across their lives. I've often wondered why this couldn't be linked with info on microchip (which is increasingly becoming mandatory by law in each Australian state).

Edited by mita

Dingoes and wolves typically live a lot longer in captivity (up to 20 years with constant food and worming facilities etc) than most of our domestic purebred dogs do, especially for a large dog - there are of course exceptions but these are notably exceptions.

Can you explain, then, why Danish research, which investigated mixed-breds & pure breds re longevity, found that a bunch of pure breeds came out ahead? That's not a notable exception, it represents a pattern across dogs in a particular country. If it's a general situation that all purebreds are vulnerable because of human intervention in their breeding from the very base....it would not be possible to have a pattern like this.

SM scans are between $2000 and $600. Unfortunately, the scan is not a definitive guarantee that the dog does not have SM. Not everyone can afford to have the scan done.

It is not a guarantee that the dog does not have SM, will not develop SM, and will not throw SM. It is an indication that the dog has or does not have CM. Some dogs with CM are asymptomatic all their lives for SM. Some develop symptoms as they age. Having a scan done gives slightly more information, so breeders can make a decision about the breeding future of the animal.

And the persons in charge of the research are less than truthful.

Edited by Jed

Flinging your hands in the air and shouting "all dogs have problems because they are inbred" is a sweeping and erroneous statement. "Inbred" is incorrect, and a word used for emotive value

Lots of dogs are LINEBRED. The best dogs Ive owned have been line bred. The dogs which carry excellent attributes to the future are line bred

It doesn't matter what some bloke on TV, or Don Burke, or some researcher at UNSW said, that is a FACT whether the public likes it or not.

Purebred dogs, per se are better.

Fact

Cavs seem to get the special mention in the TV programs which suggest purebreds, as a group, are shonky.

But here's a Cav who lived to a ripe age of 14 yrs or so. And who was a working dog most of his life. Truly.

Buddy the Cav, from a registered breeder, started work, when only a little bloke, as a therapy dog at Everton Park State High School in Brisbane.

His job was to bring love & comfort (when necessary) to the students in the special education unit.

Buddy carried out this work, with distinction, for 12 years. Only recently, he passed away. The school has a memorial plaque mounted on the wall with a picture of the handsome Buddy & the words:

Buddy: A friend to everyone

Buddy's ashes were buried in the school garden last week.

He'll be greatly missed by a whole school & the general community.

But all pedigree dogs ARE inbred, not necessarily by current breeders but almost certainly by the early caretakers of the breeds , and that IS what caused a lot of the health problems.

Big statement.

Prove it.

Souff

Well I can to a point

I have done a huge pedigree research on one of our Bulldog bitches and alot of her ancestory after the first world war and before and after the second world war were inbred dogs and also very very closely linebred. Because of the wars there was not alot of stock to continue on with hence the very close breeding programmes they worked with.

Granted it is only an example of one breed. But the lines behind the pedigrees of our bitch would appear in many pedigrees of todays/yesterdays dogs

eta what I meant is that the early caretakers of the Bulldog certainly did inbreed.

Whether this has caused health issues now is not founded.

Edited by stonebridge

I can as well having a breed that was all but extinct by the mid 1950's. One man snuck one of the last known purely bred German Pinschers over the wall from East Germany and bred her with a combination of three Min Pins which were more typey to GP's (remembering that MinPins came genetically years ago from the GP with the help of others) These three MP's were bred to the GP or offspring of her along with brother/sister, father/daughter etc. Inbreeding definately..nothing "Linebred" about that! Because of this however, my breed gained a new chance at life. All of the GP lines go back to this one "eve" and the three min pins. There was others introduced later on to help strengthen the breed but not much.

I have a highly inbred breed which I chose to linebreed on. I am also annoyed to hear the blanket statement that purebred dogs are inbred=unhealthy=bad. What most documentaries don't tell you is that without that inbreeding and linebreeding, people like Mr.Clunes would not have his cockers or labrador.