Multigeneration Labradoodle?

Shmurps

Funnily enough my Staffords don;t care if you think they are pretty or not. A pat's a pat and anyone is a target, regardless of how ugly you think they are LOL

I'd not call a Stafford "pretty" but they have their own brand of charm and the "Stafford Smile" is hard to resist.

Very true Staffords or Poodles are not my cup of tea, but gee there are some stunning dogs out there of both breeds. We are regularly beaten in Group by the stunning Poodles, they are poetry in motion, and the Staffords in my view are just charmers and beautiful. Actually I cant say I see any breed as ugly ( although I know a few people think mine is ) All dogs have something and thank godness for that and that we all like our own breeds for what they are.

J

I have to agree with this a little, I can think a dog from a picture is ugly but when I meet different breeds in person I usually find them adorable because of thier personality and the way thier owners dote on them.

ETA Not in regards to Labd or Poodles but just generally :laugh:

Edited by valleyCBR

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone (was it Don B?) has made all the ignorant people out there think that when you cross breed dogs that you will get only the best from both breeds. (Apparently all the 'undesirable' traits vanish when 2 breeds are crossed) Unfortunately lot's of people believe this crap.

Yep, I was only reading a website this afternoon that talked about how DDs ONLY inherit traits from the "strongest" and "healthiest" parent so will therefore inherit the BEST of both breeds.

And how do we determine what the best of those breeds are?

Well, according to this website it goes something like this:

Nature relies on survival of the fittest. When two different pure bread dogs are mated together, the hybrid puppy that results takes on the best physical characteristics from the stronger parent. As a result we end up with a much stronger and healthier puppy genetically. For example: The cavalier King Charles is prone to hernias which form as a small lump on the dogs stomach, some of which need to be operated on. However because this is not a health issue in the beagle breed, Sherlock has taken on the characteristic of the beagle, because in this case it is the stronger dog.

Hmmmm so let me get this right, according to this information the puppies will take on the best physical characteristics of the healthiest breed? But what is to say that the healthiest breed will be the most asthetically pleasing or have the most desirable features :laugh:

There is just as much chance that the puppies will inherit the worst traits of their parent breeds. Beagle with a Cav coat and hernias anyone? Oh gee, and what about the OTHER health issues that exist in both breeds...?

Doesn't quite add up does it?

But the website is flashy and professional and the dogs look healthy so they must know what they are talking about. Right. Right??

Getting back on topic; If the Labradoodle is to go ahead and be recognised as a legitimate breed under it's current name without the ALA getting out there and raising public awareness of what their breed is about (and that it is NOT a DD F1 cross breed) then what is the likelyhood that it's going to give even more credibility (in the eye of the general public) to unsavoury DD breeders? I'd say pretty darn high :laugh:

Someone (was it Don B?) has made all the ignorant people out there think that when you cross breed dogs that you will get only the best from both breeds. (Apparently all the 'undesirable' traits vanish when 2 breeds are crossed) Unfortunately lot's of people believe this crap.

Yep, I was only reading a website this afternoon that talked about how DDs ONLY inherit traits from the "strongest" and "healthiest" parent so will therefore inherit the BEST of both breeds.

Nature relies on survival of the fittest. When two different pure bread dogs are mated together, the hybrid puppy that results takes on the best physical characteristics from the stronger parent. As a result we end up with a much stronger and healthier puppy genetically. For example: The cavalier King Charles is prone to hernias which form as a small lump on the dogs stomach, some of which need to be operated on. However because this is not a health issue in the beagle breed, Sherlock has taken on the characteristic of the beagle, because in this case it is the stronger dog.

Hmmmm so let me get this right, according to this information the puppies will take on the best physical characteristics of the healthiest breed? But what is to say that the healthiest breed will be the most asthetically pleasing or have the most desirable features :laugh:

There is just as much chance that the puppies will inherit the worst traits of their parent breeds. Beagle with a Cav coat and hernias anyone? Oh gee, and what about the OTHER health issues that exist in both breeds...?

But the website is flashy and professional and the dogs look healthy so they must know what they are talking about. Right. Right??

Getting back on topic; If the Labradoodle is to go ahead and be recognised as a legitimate breed under it's current name without the ALA getting out there and raising public awareness of what their breed is about (and that it is NOT a DD F1 cross breed) then what is the likelyhood that it's going to give even more credibility (in the eye of the general public) to unsavoury DD breeders? I'd say pretty darn high :laugh:

Pure bread????????????????????????????????????

bread as in gingerbread! deary me

How can one trust a site who cant use the spell check or grammar! lololol

My dad saw his first wheaten and said, 'I want one.' He's neither clueless nor has a big wallet, thanks very much.

yes but did he just go out and buy one without giving consideration to the temperament, care requirements etc? That was my point :laugh:

Why are you joking now when you weren't before?

And no, he didn't. We originally went looking for another kerry blue. Anything beyond picking the breed, he left to me. And before you ask whether I considered it, I asked loads of questions about health and grooming. I never onced asked a question about temperament.

Edited by Sheridan

:laugh:

That is all

No idea how you could pick a scruffy mutt over this

LOL, it's a good thing everyone's different. I've got to say, I don't find either the labrador or the poodle aesthetically appealing at all. But apparently people exist that don't think staffords are handsome either (!)

:laugh: Definitely a good thing.

I find it funny that other people took offence to this, yet I didn't and it was directed at me...

;D you'll have to meet my Labs some day, they're change your mind. I've already pulled some of the Spitz people into my lab loving world :laugh:

Maybe when you have been around Labradors as long as some of us you too will get sick and tired of the Lab bashing in any shape or form. Seriously doubt your Labradors will be able to convert a person that does not find Labradors "aesthetically appealing". l don't expect everyone to like/love Labradors, although it would probably be a better world if they all did :laugh:, but I believe Staranais's post to be deliberately provocative to both Labrador and Poodle owners, particularly, when this thread is about the LD cross mutt.

Someone saying they don't find certain breeds appealing is not 'bashing'. It's simply someone saying they don't personally like the look of them. No where did Star say that Labs were a bad breed or speak of them negatively - she just said she didn't find them aesthetically pleasing. Kinda sounds a bit like you just want to stir an argument.

Clearly the Don has no idea on genetics whatsoever...

No idea how you could pick a scruffy mutt over this

LOL, it's a good thing everyone's different. I've got to say, I don't find either the labrador or the poodle aesthetically appealing at all. But apparently people exist that don't think staffords are handsome either (!)

:laugh: Definitely a good thing.

I find it funny that other people took offence to this, yet I didn't and it was directed at me...

;D you'll have to meet my Labs some day, they're change your mind. I've already pulled some of the Spitz people into my lab loving world :laugh:

Maybe when you have been around Labradors as long as some of us you too will get sick and tired of the Lab bashing in any shape or form. Seriously doubt your Labradors will be able to convert a person that does not find Labradors "aesthetically appealing". l don't expect everyone to like/love Labradors, although it would probably be a better world if they all did :laugh:, but I believe Staranais's post to be deliberately provocative to both Labrador and Poodle owners, particularly, when this thread is about the LD cross mutt.

No, I don't think I will, because I don't take things like that personally :rofl: . If someone thinks Labs are ugly, doesn't bother me. I took Staranais post to mean "not a big fan of the way Labs or Poodles look." Which is fair enough. Not "all labs are disgusting creatures that should be shot".

Going off at someone because they have a different opinion to you won't get you anywhere, except more annoyed when they continue to have a different opinion.

Or going off because you decide to be offended by the way you perceive someones comment also won't get you anywhere.

I can say, God I hate the colour blue! If someone then comes up and says "OMG how dare you say that, my father had blue hair because of a rare disease called smurf syndrome and you are obviously insulting his battle to survive!". Well they can think whatever they want, when all I really meant, was I don't like that colour. I'm not a fan of tea, does that mean all English people should be offended?

And my comment about converting Staranais to Lab loving, was a light hearted joke, which you obviously misinterpreted.

I am not really a fan of poodles or labradors...but to be honest, based on looks alone (of the lab/poodle x's I have met) I quite like the mix.

Obviously they are all different so not all are going to look like the ones I have met, but if I had to choose a dog out of those 3 based on looks alone, I would choose the x.

*looks apologetically at the big boofy headed lab x in the lounge who looks just like a lab - love you bumbum* LOL

and I am not a fan of DD's nor crossbreeds or any form of promotion of these mutts for that matter. Give me beautiful Labrador or Poodle over the cross mutts any day.

If you are such a great fan of crossbred mutts why did you join a Purebred Forum and denigrate our beautiful purebreeds any chance you get. :laugh: as this is not the first time you have done this :laugh: go away and join a mutts forum instead :laugh:

I don't denigrate purebreds at all, I love all dogs regardless of breed. Our next dog will be a purebred in fact...we have two breeds we are especially interested in and would like one of each (no not for breeding).

I don't think it is against the forum rules to have a favourable opinion of a particular kind of mutt. Although I should clarify, I don't want, nor ever have wanted a lab/poodle mix. I was merely stating, I find them more attractive lookwise than their purebred counterparts.

Take the dog biscuits our of your ass and harden up.

Labsrule without wanting to make this all about you - perhaps you are tired of the lab bashing because you take everything said about labs the wrong way? If I got offended everytime someone called one of my setters dumb (because of the common misconception that all Setters - because most people don't realise that there is more than the red one - are dumb) I'd be exhausted. The world is made up of many different people with differing opinions... doesn't make it a bad thing.

labsrule wasn't offended by Star's comment, they were offended by my comment, also stating I didn't find labs attractive.

Just as an offside, just because I don't find a dog attractive, doesn't mean I wouldn't love one. I in fact own an SPCA dog who is a lab x. He is big, black and boofy and looks pretty much exactly like a lab (with some small differences). He is an idiot and still hasn't matured at 5, much like purebred labs and to my "non lab breeding eye" he is very labby with many of his personality traits.

I love him to pieces and in all honesty, I chose him based on how gorgeous he was as a youngster even though I was not a fan of labs.

I am not uneducated when it comes to dogs, I have grown up with a nana who bred (German Sheps and toy poodles) and a mum who only owned purebreds until recently (border collies and staffs - go staff, stunning wee dogs, love them), so over the years have learnt many wonderful and not so wonderful things about dogs.

It just so happens that I currently own mutts. This has generally been in the past due to not being able to afford the higher cost of purchasing from a breeder as opposed to adopting from a shelter and me being poor but wanting a dog.

I love all dogs, some breeds a bit more than others but I would be happy just to have a dog...any dog. As long I had one I would be happy.

Though our next dog will hopefully be a bulldog.

You know what I really don't get about the whole Lab/poodle cross thing?

Why take two perfectly good (not identiical in many ways) breeds and think you can improve on them by mixing their genes? :laugh:

Poodles are not just like Labradors. Labradors are not poodles without the wool coat. Poodles are not just about their non-shedding coats. Those who want a dog with a guaranteed non-shedding coat already have a range of breeds and temperaments to choose from.

So why mix these two breeds with inconsistent results to produce "a great family pet". Poodles and Labradors both make great family pets in the right family. :laugh:

I still maintain that the primary reason a lot of families opt for the mix is because the male of the house thinks owning a poodle will emasculate him. The men need to cowboy up and get past that idea pronto. If they can't then buy a bloody Lagotto or an Irish Water Spaniel or something.

Good post :laugh:

I don't denigrate purebreds at all, I love all dogs regardless of breed.

I don't. There are breeds I wouldn't give houseroom. There are breeds I can't bear to touch.

And I'm sure MY preferred breeds conjure those feelings in others. Vive la difference.

Nature relies on survival of the fittest. When two different pure bread dogs are mated together, the hybrid puppy that results takes on the best physical characteristics from the stronger parent. As a result we end up with a much stronger and healthier puppy genetically. For example: The cavalier King Charles is prone to hernias which form as a small lump on the dogs stomach, some of which need to be operated on. However because this is not a health issue in the beagle breed, Sherlock has taken on the characteristic of the beagle, because in this case it is the stronger dog

OMG :laugh:

And no, he didn't. We originally went looking for another kerry blue. Anything beyond picking the breed, he left to me. And before you ask whether I considered it, I asked loads of questions about health and grooming. I never onced asked a question about temperament

And why are you being so defensive? OK so you guys did go beyond looks only, you also had experience with a kerry blue so you didnt go in blind. You didnt just rock up, open your wallet and go "oooh the fluffy one!" Even you would agree that is a bad way to choose a dog. You know what I meant by the response to the comment, dont pick arguments for the sake of it

I find it odd that one of the reasons these multiple-gen LBs are so terrible is because they are overpriced however I find it depends on the breed, my friend wants a French Bulldog and the cheapest she can find is $3k. Is that because FB breeders are unscrupulous and money grubbing or is it because she would be paying for what is a rare breed and a quality animal. Perhaps those highly priced LDs are such because they are true to type (which is a rarity in a relatively young breed) and because they might actually be a quality animal and the result of generations of hard work?

I don't know I haven't met any (that I know of) but I find the whole thing very interesting, particularly the perception that development of a new breed is only ok if it's for a working purpose as opposed to a pet.

I don't denigrate purebreds at all, I love all dogs regardless of breed.

I don't. There are breeds I wouldn't give houseroom. There are breeds I can't bear to touch.

And I'm sure MY preferred breeds conjure those feelings in others. Vive la difference.

I agree - difference is fantastic. Where would the fun be if we were al exactly the same.

I do wonder if I would become a bit more breedist after owning a certain breed though. We have wanted a bulldog for years and years, and the next dog will be one - if w ecan find a great breeder who also thinks we are suitable for the breed. And I imagine that once we have owned one, it would be very easy to start liking other breeds less and less.

But for the time being, I just love dogs and as long as I have one or few, I am happy regardless of breed. They are such a fantastic animal and I thnk it is great they come in all different shapes, sizes, colours, temperaments and looks to satisfy most people.

I find it odd that one of the reasons these multiple-gen LBs are so terrible is because they are overpriced however I find it depends on the breed, my friend wants a French Bulldog and the cheapest she can find is $3k. Is that because FB breeders are unscrupulous and money grubbing or is it because she would be paying for what is a rare breed and a quality animal. Perhaps those highly priced LDs are such because they are true to type (which is a rarity in a relatively young breed) and because they might actually be a quality animal and the result of generations of hard work?

I don't know I haven't met any (that I know of) but I find the whole thing very interesting, particularly the perception that development of a new breed is only ok if it's for a working purpose as opposed to a pet.

Or maybe French Bulldogs attract high prices due to the high rate of caesarian births and the relatively low sizes of litters.

There are *high profile poodle cross* breeders charging those prices for first cross dogs Woof. The type in the "multigen" (this must be the new black for oodle breeders) litters is all over the place still. Have a look at the websites.

And why are you being so defensive? OK so you guys did go beyond looks only, you also had experience with a kerry blue so you didnt go in blind. You didnt just rock up, open your wallet and go "oooh the fluffy one!" Even you would agree that is a bad way to choose a dog. You know what I meant by the response to the comment, dont pick arguments for the sake of it

I'm not defensive; I was offended.

Yes, I think going to a pet shop is bad but consider that not everyone who gets a dog from a pet shop is clueless and just forks out money for the cute puppy in the window. It's much the same stupid generalisation that says only people who want a show dog will get a pedigree and people dump dogs in pounds because there's something wrong with them.

And sure, an Irish terrier is going to be a farm dog with particular traits but my dad did basically look at a wheaten and say, 'I want one.' Dear me, I think he may even have said, 'Ooooh.'

Or maybe French Bulldogs attract high prices due to the high rate of caesarian births and the relatively low sizes of litters.

There are *high profile poodle cross* breeders charging those prices for first cross dogs Woof. The type in the "multigen" (this must be the new black for oodle breeders) litters is all over the place still. Have a look at the websites.

I'm surprised that they are charging that for first crosses and even more surprised that people would pay it, must be a geographical difference, in my area for that kind of money you'd want a dog that is not only hypoallergenic but poops

golden nuggets as well! :D