Multigeneration Labradoodle?

Shmurps

They ALA bred ones I've met had the temperament of a calm lab without the shedding. Their coats were different in texture and waviness/curliness but all shed minimally. For the people who want one of these dogs that is the advantage.

The clients would also list an advantage of 'they don't look like a poodle' but we all know they look just like a scruffy poodle really!

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whilst I completely agree they need a name change, don't you think that once/if they change the name, that the BYB's won't also adopt it to continue to cash in? The name change won't distinguish between registered ones and BYB's, just the same as its hard for a novice dog buyer to distinguish between ethical purebred breeders and BYB's of purebreds unless they know to ask the right questions; but, the name change would be good to give the "breed" a bit more credibility! The name Labradoodle is atrocious.

They ALA bred ones I've met had the temperament of a calm lab without the shedding. Their coats were different in texture and waviness/curliness but all shed minimally. For the people who want one of these dogs that is the advantage.

It's easy to fit into the standard when its so broad. Its so vague most dogs would fit into it unless they're a complete disaster.

Then again it's hard to know what you're aiming for when all you want is 'family pet'

The clients would also list an advantage of 'they don't look like a poodle' but we all know they look just like a scruffy poodle really!

Well the ones I have met have been quite ugly little dogs with bad temperaments that I would never recommend to anyone. Coats that are so hard to manage that they're kept clipped as short as possible. All from ALA registered Breeders.

They look like deformed poodles when clipped short. Where as an actual poodle looks quite handsome when clipped!

I have no idea why someone would want one. A friend of my family who oversees the entire Guide Dog breeding operation in NSW (She found us both Rover and Riddicks breeders :rolleyes:!) said that she would never recommend a labradoodle because overall they have such bad or simply unpredictable temperaments.

Edit to add, I have met a hell of a lot of Labradors. None have been anything like Calm (except for my 2). Calm isn't really what comes to mind when I think of a Labrador though..

Edited by lovemesideways

Well the ones I have met have been quite ugly little dogs with bad temperaments that I would never recommend to anyone. Coats that are so hard to manage that they're kept clipped as short as possible. All from ALA registered Breeders.

They look like deformed poodles when clipped short. Where as an actual poodle looks quite handsome when clipped!

I have no idea why someone would want one. A friend of my family who oversees the entire Guide Dog breeding operation in NSW (She found us both Rover and Riddicks breeders :rolleyes:!) said that she would never recommend a labradoodle because overall they have such bad or simply unpredictable temperaments.

Edit to add, I have met a hell of a lot of Labradors. None have been anything like Calm (except for my 2). Calm isn't really what comes to mind when I think of a Labrador though..

Fair enough. I was only talking from the experiences that I have had but I don't doubt you.

A friend of my family who oversees the entire Guide Dog breeding operation in NSW (She found us both Rover and Riddicks breeders :rolleyes:!) said that she would never recommend a labradoodle because overall they have such bad or simply unpredictable temperaments.

Would she put that down to the Poodles or the Labs?

(just stirring :) )

Like i've said eailer I used to work for the founders, my job was to help look after the dogs and puppies. I can tell you that everyone of those dogs had beautifull temperements. They were so easy to handle for anything that you needed to do with them.

This is my take on wheather or not they will get reconised. I used to follow the breeders that I knew were doing the right thing but stopped because I was disapointed with how things were going. The truth is that there are so many arguments over who is doing it right or not that none of the breeders really support each other. One of the founders has stopped breeding them all together and now there are only 2 breeders who I would recommend otherwise you would have to look overseas. Unless they can get there act together there isnt really much of a chance getting them reconginsed as a breed.

Edited by whitka

Sorry I wasnt being smug I was under the assuption they were still DDs. Regarding all laughing I was laughing mainly at my friends.Refering to them as pure bred some 12years ago when these parents most certainly werent throwing true pups is what I was laughing at. I met a few of their pups and they deffinatly were not consitant in type and constantly had litters on the ground going for ridiculous prices. After rescuing so many dogs I thought they had more sense then buying from a byb.

I don't profess to being an expert on them, but I do know there is a legitimate core group trying to do the right thing. There are many though that are cashing in on the DD craze also. :rolleyes:

Yes, they have their OWN registery, in the USA for instance there are a number of "DD" registeries started by the particular "DD" breeders. This is just their record of breedings having taken place. It doesn't mean they are breeding TRUE to type. It doesn't mean they will be recognised any time soon as they don't meet the criteria as yet. Obviously this is something they are still trying to achieve. There are still many variations in the types of puppies they produce. Some very are'Labra' and some very 'doodle'.

At this stage the same applies for the Coolie, which by the way was bred down from the German Kooli so has a type to follow on from. Their records are still incomplete and there is still quite a variation and some cross breeding occurring in some lines.

That isn't to say that one particular breeder may not be breeding to type within his bloodlines of Labradoodles and have established "multi generational lines" but they are still quite different from other Labradoodle breeders.

It will be interesting to see the "bun fight" that occurs when they get together to decide "whose is the standard"!!

Sure there will be new breeds in the future, I hope so anyway, but the guidelines required are complex. Many of the so called "new breeds" that have occurred in the past 200 years or so have in fact existed within the confines of their countries for quite a long while before a "standard" was settled on by breeders. This is particularly true of working dog breeds, and breeds that belonged to the privlidged such as the small Asian breeds found only in monastries and owned by "Emperors" and such.

Edited by LizT

According to some labxpoodle friends their dogs are pure breed"labradoodles" because the are 7th generation and have papers to proove it :rolleyes: This coming from people that have rescuded dogs from shelters all their lives and then got their labradoodles from "proper" breeders and paid a small fortune :):laugh::) That is in Scotland by the way.

I am not sure why you are laughing or being smug. Labradoodles do have a registry. They do have ancestoral records. They do have breeders registered under their registry.

Personally, apart from the obvious history time difference, I feel they are on the rough side of being legitimate just as much as Mini Foxies, White Sheps, Koolies or any orther breed in exsistenace and with a registry but not recognised by the ANKC.

According to the ANKC regulations even if they have all the other requirements they will still not be recognized for the following reason

"10.2.1 Any new breed or breed of dog “under development” must have a unique breed name, and is not a combination of recognised breed names or part of a recognised breed name and it must be pertinent to the purpose of the breed."

According to some labxpoodle friends their dogs are pure breed"labradoodles" because the are 7th generation and have papers to proove it :rolleyes: This coming from people that have rescuded dogs from shelters all their lives and then got their labradoodles from "proper" breeders and paid a small fortune :):laugh::) That is in Scotland by the way.

I am not sure why you are laughing or being smug. Labradoodles do have a registry. They do have ancestoral records. They do have breeders registered under their registry.

Personally, apart from the obvious history time difference, I feel they are on the rough side of being legitimate just as much as Mini Foxies, White Sheps, Koolies or any orther breed in exsistenace and with a registry but not recognised by the ANKC.

According to the ANKC regulations even if they have all the other requirements they will still not be recognized for the following reason

"10.2.1 Any new breed or breed of dog “under development” must have a unique breed name, and is not a combination of recognised breed names or part of a recognised breed name and it must be pertinent to the purpose of the breed."

Perhaps they are not actually even seeking ANKC recognition? It has to be considered. There are several breeds who do not come under the ANKC and, have either given up the fight to be recognised by the ANKC, or never wanted to be. Australia is big enough for more than one registry too.