Yard Size Vs Dogs

Blackus

Hey guys I've recently became a new home owner, I have reasonably sized house on a 800-900 m2 block the backyard is pretty big for this size as the house is pushed forward on the block. I own two amazing dogs with my partner a Hungarian Vizsla and a Weimaraner. They are both well trained, looked after and walked regularley. I work full-time and she is a uni student. Anyways getting to the real question here these two seem happy here with the time they get with us, we both really want a great dane but im worried this space is too limited for the third dog even though i have read great danes are low-medium energy. The other two seem very happy here and I am looking for some suggestions on what people think on the yard size vs number of dogs concept. We love dogs and take care of them as well as we can money is not an issue and time isnot for my partner and even after a long day at work I always find time for my two girls, oh and my girlfriend.

Most dogs are more demanding of your time and attention than a big back yard. I have working breeds and am soon to have another working kelpie and I am only on 1/2 acre. That said, I take my dogs to some sort of training most days and find that mental stimulation is just as important as physical exercise. Most dogs will sleep during the day until you come home anyway so if you have a schedule of walking or training when you get home I reckon you'll be fine.

Hey guys I've recently became a new home owner, I have reasonably sized house on a 800-900 m2 block the backyard is pretty big for this size as the house is pushed forward on the block. I own two amazing dogs with my partner a Hungarian Vizsla and a Weimaraner. They are both well trained, looked after and walked regularley. I work full-time and she is a uni student. Anyways getting to the real question here these two seem happy here with the time they get with us, we both really want a great dane but im worried this space is too limited for the third dog even though i have read great danes are low-medium energy. The other two seem very happy here and I am looking for some suggestions on what people think on the yard size vs number of dogs concept. We love dogs and take care of them as well as we can money is not an issue and time isnot for my partner and even after a long day at work I always find time for my two girls, oh and my girlfriend.

Yeah well summer is easy for me as I come home and there is plenty daylight still left sometimes winter gets a bit dark but as a uni student my girlfriend gets plenty of time at home and the two we have now seem to be enjoying our new area. Thanks for the reply mate just want some reassurance and make sure that i dont make a mistake i could never let a dog go to the pound and giving it away would be to hard forme

The great dane breed pages may be of help. I've had wolfhounds and they did not need any garden! just the couch :mad:rofl:

The only things Id worry about are if 3 will ruin the dynamics of your family, get a male if you already have 2 girls (I've had 3 girls fine, but many people have had problems with having several of the same sex), and also, I know money is not an issue, but large dogs do cost a fortune, even a worm pill (giant one :crazy: )!!!xxx

Um, Vizsla pic? ;) (what good taaste you have in dogs ;) )

I have 5 dogs :crazy: 2 are large and 3 small. We rent (hubby is in Army) so yard size can change for us and we can't always pick our next house but I find that the size yard dosn't really matter that much. My dogs spend almost all of their time inside anyway and we go for walks and they get let off lead to race around together. Zoomies happen in and outside and they do alot of wrestling and tug games with each other.

My yard sounds about the same size as yours. I have a Lab and a Rotty of my own and I foster large breed dogs. My last foster was a Great Dane X and she would only occasionally use the yard. My other two could live in an apartment they are so lazy.

Personally, I think it is more about the mental stimulation and good quality walks than the size of the yard.

Yeah, but check with the Great Dane people. They were very helpful for my Dane foster. Actually they told me that we could probably cut down the exercise time.

It really has nothing to do with the size of your yard, but more to do with the amount of time you spend with them and the amount of mental and physical stimulation you provide.

I know people in the US who own a Siberien husky and a GSD in a two bedroom upstairs apartment with no yard. These are two of the most well adjusted and happy dogs I know because they get to go to work with their owner several days a week, go to regular training classes such as Agility, go to the dog park and get regular attention and walks.

A lot of dogs are housed in dog runs during the day while there owners are out - I doubt many are as big as your backyard.

A dog in a large backyard who is left there, doesnt get much attention except a bit morning and night, and rarely goes for a walk IMO can be much worse off then a dog in a courtyard home who gets plenty of attention and stimulation and time out of the yard.

Of course it may depend too in the end on the personality of the dogs you own and their need for 'personal space'. With three dogs it becomes more of a 'pack' and you may need to consider your ability to separate dogs if this ever (but hopefully not) becomes necessary. This is less to do with the amount of space though than how that space is set up.

Well, Dane puppies need space to free exercise in, but your yard sounds large enough for this. Older Danes are more suited to living in a smaller area, but I do feel they need a reasonable amount of space to wander around in.

And of course it depends on the individual dog. Some danes are just big couch potatoes, but some are quite active.

• 3 weeks later...
hey guys its been ages since I got a chance to come online thanks for all the responses I've decided to buy a pup he is a solid black male and i should get him in about 8 weeks.

Congratulations. :laugh:

I've just seen this thread. I live in a unit with a small yard and have two Great Danes. They both get regular walks, training, park romps and beach romps.

I know people in the US who own a Siberien husky and a GSD in a two bedroom upstairs apartment with no yard.

Doesn't surprise me - all my siberian husky needs is a bed to sleep on :crazy:

I had friends at uni who had a very hyperactive dalmatian in a unit - he was absolutely fine. They walked him all the time, took him everywhere he could have gone with them and he was off to a different kind of training every few days, with daily sessions in between! :laugh:

Our house block is about the same size (around 880sqm) and we currently have 3 greyhounds (and about to add a 4th); at times I have had 5 here when I have been babysitting for a friend - the space has always been perfectly fine for that many. As others have said a lot is to do with what other exercise/stimulation you provide rather than just the size of the yard. :laugh:

Edited by New Age Outlaw

hey guys its been ages since I got a chance to come online thanks for all the responses I've decided to buy a pup he is a solid black male and i should get him in about 8 weeks.

Congrats! You'll have to come and join us in the dane thread. Where is your boy from (I also have a black boy).

The main thing you are going to need to do in your yard is to create a separate run while the pup is young. You should not leave him to run with the other dogs as you need to be careful about the bones/ joints of dane puppies and knowing dane puppies they will happily play for ages if you don't intervene.

I'd be keeping play time with adult dogs to a minimum for a good few months, allow for free exercise by itself and then a couple of short sessions training including leash training.

I have a courtyard for my dane and that's enough as he only goes outside to lie on a bed and go to the toilet.

Yes danes are low/ medium energy - generally :D - mine is high energy :laugh:

Danes are also not dogs which do well just left in a yard - they are a family dog who needs to be inside with their pack (preferably on the couch :crazy: ).

Yeah once I get him I'll be joining for sure. He is from anvildane a breeder in singleton close to me and after checking the parents out I knew I wanted to buy from them. How old do you think he should be before I let him be outside with the others? The wei is lazy as but the vizsla can be a little rough sometimes, no I expect they will be inside quite a bit I'm not really forthem being there 100% of the time but surely my girlfriend will end up making me change my mind I'm too weak to say no to her and them

Great Danes do not need large yards. They are couch potatoes that don't require a great deal of exercise.

They still require walks and mental stimulation though. They don't need a big back yard but you wouldn't to just have them in a very small area - even just for the reason you want them to be able to toilet without having to have previous toilet trips closely around them. In the US people keep them in Apartments, I'm not sure I agree with that but it seems to work well for them.

My dogs only use the yard to toilet, I have to chuck them outside from time to time.

Is a Great Dane for you? Click here

Lastly, going from from 2 dogs to 3 dogs can change the dynamics quite a bit - are you ready?

hey guys its been ages since I got a chance to come online thanks for all the responses I've decided to buy a pup he is a solid black male and i should get him in about 8 weeks

Congrats. Did he come from a Registered Breeder who Hip & Elbow Scores, Thyroid tests and Heart checks?

How old do you think he should be before I let him be outside with the others?

Unsupervised at around 12 months probably (until critical growth is finished) - Dane youngsters are pretty fagile.

I expect they will be inside quite a bit I'm not really forthem being there 100% of the time but surely my girlfriend will end up making me change my mind I'm too weak to say no to her and them

You and your girlfriend will want to be on the same page before the puppy starts to ensure they puppy gets a consistent message with this and also training.

Edited by sas

My border collies go for the occasional hoon around the garden but most of the time they are on their beds asleep. They tend to play on the veranda more too.

I think the bigger challenge with a smaller garden is the impact on the garden itself. If you don't care what it looks like then that isn't an issue.

ok thanks for all the replies guys I had previously done my study on great danes and I was aware of their laziness and small exercise needs the question I was more trying to get at was more so towards if 3 dogs could be happy in this size yard and if people had experience with this size yard and this number of dogs.

Thanks heaps for the link to honey, great website and this assures me even more this is the breed for me, I have always been into teaching my dogs, not for showing or for competion but more or less for my own satisfaction with the dog itself and for our relationship.

I know it will be hard to introduce the new pup but I trust the two dogs that he will be joining they are both well socialized with everything from cats to children, believe me the cat was a little hard at first for the vizsla she thought the cat was prey at first but now they sleep together when we take the dogs to the parents house.

He is coming from a registered breeder I wont name them just in case they dont want everyone checking up on them. My real biggest concern was with the age of when they could be left trusted to play with other dogs and thanks for that answer. Well we had already talked about it and had decided the dane would be inside as long as he needed to before he was able to be outside withthe other dogs and the others will never be 100% inside dogs I am not comfortable with that and she understands although i dont believe the other two would be happy either they enjoy to run and sniff for a while then just crash out for a while and do it all again